Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School Scabbard Snubby Holster

Old School Scabbard Snubby Holster

A while back DB was kind enough to lay this nice 3" 686 on me. It was a tad unusual, as the grip frame seemed to cant downwards a bit, almost making it feel like a birdshead grip. No panels would fit properly, So I did some modifying on a set of Hogue grips and managed to get the job done. It's a good solid shooter and I will be customizing to my personal tastes soon.

I decided to come up with an Old School Scabbard (OSS) for it. This holster has a muzzle forward rake and is designed to be carried AOWB. It pulls the grip right into that little hollow in front of the hip and is very comfortable, even while sitting. It also makes for a very fast draw, without much telegraphing. These will be available as part of my line for $125 and only be made for 2-3" revolvers.

Hope you enjoy the pictures and we will see if DB approves

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Just make another one in all black for my 386. That is how much I approve. Perfect!!!
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dugga Boy View Post
    Just make another one in all black for my 386. That is how much I approve. Perfect!!!
    I thought you might 3" ?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by JRCHolsters View Post
    I thought you might 3" ?
    I ll send a picture.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The usual JRC elegant perfection.

And a 3" 686 is a wonderful pistol, this is a great match-up.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The usual JRC elegant perfection.

And a 3" 686 is a wonderful pistol, this is a great match-up.
    Thanks, I do appreciate that! Funny thing is, I never cared for the 686 till I got this 3" model. Can't wait to do some action work to it.

AOWB this is nice

Very nice!

I have an IWB holster for a 3" 686+ from Triple K that is actually surprisingly comfortable wearing AIWB though I generally only carry that gun for defensive purposes when walking the dog late at night during periods of high bear, bobcat and coyote activity. (Rural gravel road with no lights.)

(It's also the designated firearm for my wife to use for home defense.)

That said, I may not be able to resist adding your AOWB. I've just never been thrilled with the standard DeSantis holster I use for the range (though I've been issued I don't know how many of them over the years when we carried S&W revolvers on the job.)

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

ETA:

Oh, what the hell...who am I kidding? Put me down for one as well. That "burgundy" color looks just fine to me.

I have a .270" high Dawson Precision FO front sight on mine. (.110" width)

Otherwise, it looks just like this stock photo...

Last edited by blues; 09-23-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Very nice!

I have an IWB holster for a 3" 686+ from Triple K that is actually surprisingly comfortable wearing AIWB though I generally only carry that gun for defensive purposes when walking the dog late at night during periods of high bear, bobcat and coyote activity. (Rural gravel road with no lights.)

(It's also the designated firearm for my wife to use for home defense.)

That said, I may not be able to resist adding your AOWB. I've just never been thrilled with the standard DeSantis holster I use for the range (though I've been issued I don't know how many of them over the years when we carried S&W revolvers on the job.)

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

ETA:

Oh, what the hell, who am I kidding? Put me down for one as well. That "burgundy" color looks just fine to me.

Can you please measure the height of the front sight on yours? I have a .270" high Dawson Precision FO front sight on mine. (.110" width)

Othewise, it looks just like this stock photo...

Can do. I will shoot you over a PM

Nice. I had a similar set up for a j frame, a cross draw made by PCS, that worked great AOWB. Very fast.

User Tag List