Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I have examined/processed dozens of vehicles... Most of them passenger cars or SUVs... that were struck with gun fire. They are more resilient than you think.

Rifle bullets with steel jackets or cores? Yeah, better have your life insurance paid up. Regular ball/ whatever? Different story.
    We had a dispute spill out into morning rush hour a few years ago in the South Phoenix metro area (Ahwatukee for those familiar with the area, a quiet upper-middle class neighborhood for those who do not, as opposed to "South Phoenix," where you would expect such shenanigans) where shooter ("victim" and "suspect" get a little blurry in these types of cases) at a minimum cruised by shootee's house, and may have cranked off a few .45 rounds. Shootee gave chase, and when they came to a stop at a major intersection, shooter jumped out and engaged shootee's vehicle with an AR-15 of some sort. The rounds skipped off the windshield and only caused cosmetic damage to the vehicle. It wasn't until shootee got out of the vehicle that the rounds actually hit him. The fun and games was brought to a halt by a DHS Agent who was on his way to work and stopped at the same intersection, who took shooter into custody (why he didn't come out shooting is a mystery to me, but my involvement came later, so who am I to judge?)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My other suggestion is to carry poster board and a Magic Marker. Ditch the car, make a sign supporting the cause and join in - then move out of the crowd.

sorta like that?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    That's not what it said in the movie and I wouldn't suggest what it actually said.

I was going to post the original version, but I figured that would get me a PF censure
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I was going to post the original version, but I figured that would get me a PF censure

Well, it should get you a censure.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Well, it should get you a censure.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Maybe my perspective is deeply flawed because it's primarily based on the Canadian legal system, which is often heavily dependent on ideas like "would a reasonable person do X" and there's no literal direction on how to interpret that.

But I was thinking about this thread earlier today and basically came to the personal conclusion that at least up here, if you are genuinely afraid that you're about to get seriously and heavily smucked* then chances are you're going to be justified in deploying lethal force.

In fact I would probably strip it down further and say "if you're justified in deploying lethal force...your lethal force would be justified".

I understand that there are political prosecutions etc, but then I also understand that there are a lot of gun forum denizens who are basically looking for any arcane trigger on which to base a lethal force encounter. Less here than elsewhere, but honestly...if you look at what's about to go down and figure "six figures and three years of my life is better than what's about to happen" then I'd say go nuts.

Therefore, if you see a crowd of rioters blocking your escape and surrounding your vehicle, get the hell out of there at any cost.

If you see a crowd of "rioters" as per Breitbart blocking your escape and surrounding your vehicle...maybe just wait and see.

I will also say that this is why I drive a 4runner. I rarely go offroad anymore, and never anywhere I can't get to in 4x2. What I do value (aside from launching boats, where 4x4 is really handy) is the ability to slam it into 4x4 and have every single thing that contacts the ground pushing me in the direction I want to go. Under heavy load it's very predictable and tough to stop. When I bought it, I wanted the ability to force my way through obstructions if necessary and I think that's valuable from a safety perspective.

*anything that makes the sound "smuck" when it happens to you
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    ... I also understand that there are a lot of gun forum denizens who are basically looking for any arcane trigger on which to base a lethal force encounter.
    And at least as many who are just waiting to claim that whatever you did, you were either wrong, or are going to be locked up where they'll pipe in sunshine once a year.

Theoretically, of course, the US legal system is also supposed to use the "Reasonable Man" standard.

On that note, did anyone else see this?
    Trapped Charlotte Motorists Pleaded with 911 to Rescue Them From Rioters
    (h/t Instapundit)
    The city of Charlotte has released a number of 911 tapes, including calls made from gridlocked motorists on Charlotte streets who feared for their lives as protests over the death of Keith Scott moved to block highways going in and out of the city. Dozens of vehicles were stopped on I-85 and other major thoroughfares. According to some of the motorists trapped on the streets, protesters jumped on cars, mobbed trucks, and threw rocks.

“I’m trapped,” one motorist told the 911 dispatchers. “They’re all in the street … Oh my God, they’re coming!” Screams could be heard in the background, according to local media who reviewed the tapes.

One family who had their window smashed by a rock was instructed by a 911 dispatcher to get to safety before pulling over to inspect the damage. “I’m still stuck in this,” the driver told emergency services. “I would like to get out of it before I pull over.”

The dispatcher responded, “I don’t want you to stop there, period. Just follow traffic and get out of the area.” . . .

Another trucker admitted to being terrified. “I’m so scared,” he said. “They’re just taking stuff and running with it. They’ve got the doors of the trailer open.”

Truckers also reported that rioters had started fires on the highway. That made a getaway in the truck impossible, and leaving the truck on foot too dangerous.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    And at least as many who are just waiting to claim that whatever you did, you were either wrong, or are going to be locked up where they'll pipe in sunshine once a year.

Theoretically, of course, the US legal system is also supposed to use the "Reasonable Man" standard
    So true

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar

I randomly ran across a motivational t-shirt on Ebay made just for this scenario.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 10-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List