Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    . A car isn't as bullet-resistant as Hollywood would suggest.
    I have examined/processed dozens of vehicles... Most of them passenger cars or SUVs... that were struck with gun fire. They are more resilient than you think.

Rifle bullets with steel jackets or cores? Yeah, better have your life insurance paid up. Regular ball/ whatever? Different story.

They're 90% sheet metal and dinky plastic. Probably prudent not to get shot in one regardless.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

To the original question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Lawful Self-Defense to "Run-Down" Rioters?
    I was reviewing my notes from MAG40 yesterday, and found the bit where Mas says that, in court proceedings regarding self-defense, "CYA" stands for Can You Articulate why you felt threatened, and why (in this case) you felt that the best way to deal with the threat was to "drive on", and let anyone in front of you worry about their own safety?

"I felt threatened by the behavior of the mob, and it was obvious to me that the best thing for me to do was get out of there. I put it in drove, and leaned on the horn. I wasn't trying to hit anyone, and was trying to go slowly enough to push them aside, but they kept pounding on the hood and the roof and..." {breaks into sobs...}
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    "I felt threatened by the behavior of the mob, and it was obvious to me that the best thing for me to do was get out of there. I put it in drove, and leaned on the horn. I wasn't trying to hit anyone, and was trying to go slowly enough to push them aside, but they kept pounding on the hood and the roof and..." {breaks into sobs...}
    Sobbing is inarticulate. Before breaking into sobs, I would articulate names like Reginald Denny and Alexian Lien and mention how both cases had stuck with me. Perhaps I would even point them to this thread where the distinction between loud protestors and violent rioters had been articulated and my discernment between the two had been noted as a matter of record in the past. Then I might start sobbing, because I hate getting stressed out in front of people.
    Last edited by Tamara; 09-27-2016 at 04:20 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    We were talking about this at lunch as we were discussing my new Forester and the options for a friend who wants to replace his truck. One guy was discussing how his new car has the automatic collision control, like we see on TV. Wouldn't it be ironic if it kept stopping you in the middle of the riot when folks get in front of you like the video linked on Greg's article? Would you remember to turn it off for the getaway? If you don't, you would probably forget to take off the safety of your 1911 for your last ditch stand.

My other suggestion is to carry poster board and a Magic Marker. Ditch the car, make a sign supporting the cause and join in - then move out of the crowd.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My other suggestion is to carry poster board and a Magic Marker. Ditch the car, make a sign supporting the cause and join in - then move out of the crowd.
    Legit LOL'ed.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I like that Glenn. I was thinking of doing like I did when I was enlisted as an OTA for a Secret Service detail protecting Jesse Jackson during his run for president.

"There he is!!! There he is!!! Get him!"

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Legit LOL'ed.
    Me too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    To the original question:
    I was reviewing my notes from MAG40 yesterday, and found the bit where Mas says that, in court proceedings regarding self-defense, "CYA" stands for Can You Articulate why you felt threatened, and why (in this case) you felt that the best way to deal with the threat was to "drive on", and let anyone in front of you worry about their own safety?

As a serious plan, of course, it goes "Dial 911, put it on speaker, then put it in gear..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    They're 90% sheet metal and dinky plastic.
    How many gunshot " normal" vehicles have you examined?

User Tag List