Thread: Motorcycle Trip, need help on choice of best pistol.

Motorcycle Trip, need help on choice of best pistol.

If all goes well, I will be going on a 2 week motorcycle/hiking/camping trip in the next few weeks. I will be going through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan up to the UP. I have a Glock 26, 19, 17 and 22 available to me. I thought I read a comment by Doc in the past year or so where he carried his 19 in similar areas but I couldn't find it when searching.

What does everyone recommend I carry. Any thoughts whether I should bring FMJ for hiking or camping or will my 147g HST's or Gold Dots be all I need if 9mm is the consensus. Otherwise I have 180g HST's and Gold Dots if my G22 is the consensus. I am trying to only bring one pistol if I can. I can only carry so much on the bike. Right now I am leaning toward either my G26 or G19. Thanks.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I don't think it really matters. If you are hiking/camping in those states, you are unlikely to encounter a 4 legged predator that won't respond well to the same things that work in people. I'd take the Glock 19.

If your CHL is good carry what you feel most comfortable with and shoot best.

My personal selection would be the 19. For me it is kind of the happy medium, shootable and concealable.

Back when I did longer mileage multi-day trips, I wore my normal pants and my normal G19 and IWB holster. Then I wore heavy duty mesh bike pants over it all. It worked good on the bike but was kind of soup sandwich walking around off the bike until I could take the bike pants off. This was on a ST1100 with a moderately upright riding position.

Now that I have a G26, it would definitely be my choice for a bike riding gun. A 10 rounder in the gun and 19 or 17 mags for spares. Leave the FMJ at home.

Gringop

PS, a little top of the Bighorn range riding.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    If all goes well, I will be going on a 2 week motorcycle/hiking/camping trip in the next few weeks. I will be going through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan up to the UP. I have a Glock 26, 19, 17 and 22 available to me. I thought I read a comment by Doc in the past year or so where he carried his 19 in similar areas but I couldn't find it when searching.

What does everyone recommend I carry. Any thoughts whether I should bring FMJ for hiking or camping or will my 147g HST's or Gold Dots be all I need if 9mm is the consensus. Otherwise I have 180g HST's and Gold Dots if my G22 is the consensus. I am trying to only bring one pistol if I can. I can only carry so much on the bike. Right now I am leaning toward either my G26 or G19. Thanks.
    Glock 26...uses all 9mm mags, small, light. Ideal for discreet carry.

Site Supporter
    We do have black bears in Pennsylvania but with unusual exceptions they tend to stay in the woods and avoid people. While the risk they present is worth considering, I think your biggest risk will come on 2 legs.

I would suggest either the 19 or 26 depending on your mode of dress.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 09-22-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Here is me near Sturgis:
    Name:  Pocket.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  63.4 KB
    The "plan" would be to open the pocket with the right hand, grab the thing with the left hand and present it to the right hand. I do not wear jeans under my pants, so a normal holster would not be an option. This would surely be a lot of motion, but probably less of a goat rodeo than trying to find you zipper pull up under your helmet after the timer beeped. This was good with the J, but I had wished I had taken my Kahr P-40. The pocket is big enough for a map so a G26 would fit for sure, maybe a G19, if your jacket has a pocket like that.

Did a loop up and over the UP, met my buddies in SD and shot prairie dogs for a few days, then rode home. Probably will not be able to pull that off again until I am retired...
    Name:  MtRushmore.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  49.4 KB

This is over-thinking or over-analysis. Make a decision and enjoy your trip. I have the same Glocks (actually, I sold the G22gen4, but still have a G23gen3 & G27gen3) and daily decide which one to carry and not worry about it. I'm all for Glocks and there is no right or wrong with those choices.

I doubt it lends much to my opinion, but I was a CPA who became a cop and I also ride a motorcycle.
    Last edited by L-2; 09-22-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks for all the great replies and great looking bikes. Glad the G22 wasn't the consensus. I have a Valkyrie and that extra barrel length can be an issue with the seating position

I'll take the 26 with a spare 19 mag. Thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Back when I did longer mileage multi-day trips, I wore my normal pants and my normal G19 and IWB holster. Then I wore heavy duty mesh bike pants over it all. It worked good on the bike but was kind of soup sandwich walking around off the bike until I could take the bike pants off. This was on a ST1100 with a moderately upright riding position.

Now that I have a G26, it would definitely be my choice for a bike riding gun. A 10 rounder in the gun and 19 or 17 mags for spares. Leave the FMJ at home.

Gringop

PS, a little top of the Bighorn range riding.
    Nice bikes. Isn't that a 1997 Valk in the back? Mine is a 1998 but the red is more maroon than the 97 I believe.

User Tag List