Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCS "Copia" mag carriers

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

RCS "Copia" mag carriers

One of the guys at Raven Concealment hit me up a couple of weeks ago and asked me to take a look at a new product they're bringing to market. They sent a box loaded with a new magazine carrier that might be of interest:

Name:  rcs.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  68.9 KB

It is called the "Copia" after a goddess of plenty. I guess because you can have plenty of bullets. I thought it was named after a voluptuous Brazilian stripper, but I've been assured that no Brazilian strippers were involved in the naming of this device whatsoever.

The screw works a tensioner that allows you to adjust the tension in the mag pouch to fit magazines you want to put into it. Pictured is a double carrier holding a Glock 17 magazine and a Beretta 92 magazine. The Glock mag is, of course, wider and typically a mag holder that will hold a Glock magazine snugly won't hold a Beretta 92 magazine with any level of retention. With these you can adjust the tensioner to the point where it will actually provide enough drag to hold even a 1911 magazine when you turn the holder upside down and give it a shake.

They apparently come in singles and doubles. Singles can be joined together with screws if you wish, but the doubles are joined together with longer rivets as you see in the photo.

I've used the Glock 17 mag, Beretta 92 mag, S&W 5906 mag, H&K P30 mag, M&P 9 mag, a S&W 4506 mag, and a Wilson 9mm 1911 mag in the pouch pictured so far, and all seem to be held securely. It works remarkably well with single stack magazines, but you have to be careful how you insert the mag to ensure it doesn't situate at an angle.

The only magazine I have at the moment that flat won't work with it is the double stack magazine from the M&P .45.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-21-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    3/15/2016

Very interesting. I frequently use a Rogers designed (non kydex) mag pouch as it accommodates a number of different size magazines. I tried a Blade Tech universal fit kydex pouch, but it did not work to my satisfaction.

How is speed, retention, and your ability to get a good grip on the magazine? Will they be doing single mag pouches, too?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Based on what I see in the box, they will be making singles and doubles. (There are both in my box of love)

Retention, at least with every magazine I've tried so far, depends entirely on what you want it to be. You can adjust the tensioner to be barely there, or to be so tight you have to really work to get the magazine out. I have adjusted the ones I'm playing with at the moment to just enough so you can turn the carrier up-side down and give it a good shake without the mags falling out...then tightening maybe 1/2 a turn more.

Speed is going to depend on technique and how much tension you dial in. It covers about the same amount of the magazine as some other holders on the market, but it does not allow wrapping one's hand around the whole of the mag carrier like I'm used to doing with units like the SKD mag carrier. The bit of extra material on the carrier itself prevents that. You have to let your index finger rest on the forward corner of the form for the magazine void and position it properly on the magazine once you have cleared the carrier.

With some practice it should become pretty automatic. Just takes a little getting used to at first.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-21-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    3/15/2016

And I should note that the tensioners work even better when you actually put the magazine in the pouch the right way.

Fuckin' noob.
    3/15/2016

Any idea on release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Any idea on release date?
    Nope. Didn't think to ask, either...was too busy trying to figure out what the name of the product was supposed to be.

"Dude...are you sure it's not a Brazilian stripper?"

"Yeah. Definitely not."

"...because it sounds like a Brazilian stripper. Like one with implants up top and on bottom."

"No, definitely not."

"...because I wouldn't judge you if it was a Brazilian stripper, dude. I'm progressive like that."

"..."

Generally speaking the time between when the advance people get the boxes and when they appear on the website for order isn't terribly long, though.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-21-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    3/15/2016

How does it look concealment-wise?
    Last edited by Jac; 09-21-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Copia is one of the more classy, tasteful stripper names, and what I hope turns out to be an extremely functional long term use magazine carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    How does it look concealment-wise?
    It does not seem to offer any more protuberance than the SKD mag carrier I've been using for some time. If anything, the slight curve tucks against the body a tad more than the SKD mag carrier does.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    And I should note that the tensioners work even better when you actually put the magazine in the pouch the right way.

Fuckin' noob.
    Isn't it supposed to be able to be used bullets oriented front or back?

User Tag List