Thread: "Cupro-Nickel" Jacketed German .308

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

"Cupro-Nickel" Jacketed German .308

With the impending Kalifornia Ammo registry and the unholy prospect of Hillary steeling the election I am trying to ensure my ammo stores are stocked for 3-5 years worth of shooting.

SGAmmo has this German Military Surplus ammo and it seems to be the lowest price going for Western manufactured 7.62/.308 ammo. My primary concern with it is the jacket which they describe as a "Cupro-Nickel" jacket. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the ammo? My primary concern here is barrel wear (it will be shot through a NitroCarburized PWS barrel and a NM Springfiled M1A barrel). I know Cupro-Nickel has been used in bullet design around the turn of the 19th century and had a lot of issues but since this is recent German production I would imagine that it should be pretty good.

Anyone have the scoop?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-21-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: more details

Cupro nickel alloy has a sligthly different color and is non magnetic, and the seller describes the jackets as magnetic.
    I think it has soft steel jackets covered with tin (look for Sn = verzinnt = tin in the box or website), as other similar german MEN/DAG military ammo.

Cupro nickel is not magnetic, its an alloy of copper and nickel. They may be cupro nickel plated, but it sounds like steel jacketed.

A ton of German DAG 308 ammo came on the market in the 80s, I shot a couple cases probably, as it was like $2/box retail. Very nasty jacket fouling and corrosive primers. This is probably not the exact same thing. Shooters choice would get the fouling out of my H-K 91 though. Cheap shooting is cheap shooting.

I've shot this through an FAL and PTR-91. No issues. Not surprisingly, it seems to shoot well through the PTR-91.

I wouldn't mind buying some again, except that it's berdan primed. For a few cents more I'd rather get something with boxer primers. (I realize that for use through a PTR-91, it's kind of a moot point which is why I've left the rest of my stash for the PTR only).

The headstamps are all crossed out, but you can clearly it tell it said "MEN."

Does anyone know if this ammo is tar sealed?

Looks like a good deal however, my PTR, serial number, AW 5000 range, will not cycle tar sealed ammo such as German DAG, British Radway Green, Portuguese, and South African surplus.

The "ammo sensitive " PTRs were manufactured generally between 2007 and 2010, serial numbers AW4000 to AW9000. The gi model and others addressed this issue but I know some match, heavy barreled PTRs still fail to cycle tar sealed surplus. It's not a bad trade off because the match barrels, tight chambers are pretty accurate, for the platform. Still it's no fun when your semi turns into a single shot.

I'm going to order a box to find out, but hoped someone might already know if this ammo is tar sealed or how it runs in specific PTRs.
    Last edited by Alembic; 10-01-2016 at 10:10 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Does anyone know if this ammo is tar sealed?
    Let us know. I ended up going with another case of the MEN ammo for $0.06 more a round.

User Tag List