Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun and arm alignment

How do we split the line between adopting the finer points of a professional technique while still customizing the specifics for our unique body types?

Example-a shooting grip I get measurable results with using Brand X in Caliber Y may be totally unworkable for someone with smaller arms , shorter hands, and a different handgun regardless of how well it clocks for me.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I shoot better -- fewer errors and more consistently-- when my *initial* grip puts the bore and ulna in a line. If it's important for bullseye shooting, it makes sense that it would be overall beneficial. When I form a two handed stance, it is no longer in line, but it would be if my wrist was straight.
    This is exactly what I saw going on at 2:01 of the MP vid.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    How do we split the line between adopting the finer points of a professional technique while still customizing the specifics for our unique body types?

Example-a shooting grip I get measurable results with using Brand X in Caliber Y may be totally unworkable for someone with smaller arms , shorter hands, and a different handgun regardless of how well it clocks for me.
    I think it kinda goes back to what Jay suggests by setting goals of what you want your grip and shooting experience to achieve rather than attempting to replicate x,y, and/or z technique into a final product. Everyone is built a little differently and as such not all techniques are going to work for everyone with every gun at every shooting instance. This is where instruction by a good instructor and self-attained experience come together to form how any one person is able to effectively manage recoil and place quick and precise shots on target. I think being honest with yourself through critical experimentation is key while keeping an open mind.

If it's important for bullseye shooting, it makes sense that it would be overall beneficial.
    I'm not sure I follow this logic. Can you expound a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm not sure I follow this logic. Can you expound a little?
    Sure. Bullseye shooters shoot good, and I also want to shoot good. If there's a component of that technique that I can use, without comprising other things I need to do in a defensive context, I should try it. I can't really use a nudge defensively. I also can't keep my arm aligned with the bore in a stance that lets me control recoil (I should know, I started Chapman and discarded it). But I can use an aligned grip, as I said, when I initially grasp the gun, and let my wrist break as I form my stance.

With small hands, I struggle to get enough finger (see our earlier thread about PMac's thoughts on more finger) on girthy DAs. It has been suggested that I crawl my grip, clocking around the gun to put more finger in, at the expense of ulnar alignment.

This worked great for trigger control, but jacked up repeatability. The gun recoils unpredictably and I lose the sights more quickly. It is, for me, bad advice. It's what I'd do if I *had* to carry a 92fs, because I'd rather have a good hit than be quick, but since I don't have to, I don't.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If there's a component of that technique that I can use, without comprising other things I need to do in a defensive context, I should try it.
    Got it! Thanks!

Neutral Good.

Wait, wrong type of alignment. Sorry. Carry on.

I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Exurbankevin View Post
    Neutral Good.

Wait, wrong type of alignment. Sorry. Carry on.

Well, at least you're not Chaotic Evil. I would have had to roll pretty high bluff and diplomacy checks in order to acertain your whereabouts and then alert the authorities....

Gun and arm alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Exurbankevin View Post
    Neutral good

Yeah, but I do shoot SHO with a thieves' cant.
    Last edited by JAD; 09-22-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm so far out of my lane that I'm signaling right like crazy, but I like this a lot.

Hopefully related question: Does this relate to the whole turtle-neck head down, both arms locked Iso stance you see on the web in these Panteo/Costa videos? I never could get comfortable doing that.

These days my strong arm is slightly bent, and my support arm slightly more so, when I shoot at the range. I also practice this stance dry practicing, and I see minimal sight movement, as long as I grip tightly and press straight back.

Am I ok doing this?
    I don't think there is anything inherently bad about the tacti-turtle, but I have found I shoot better in a more upright position. With a lighter gun, firing a hotter cartridge than 9mm, that extra lean in can make a real difference to me; but I only shoot 9mm now.

From what I gather, my arm position is similar to what you describe. I stand head upright, shoulders slightly hunched up. I do not lock my elbows, but leave a bit of bend so they act like leaf springs during recoil. In my grip, I put extra pressure from both hands by using my forearms to almost roll my hands into the grip. Put the gun out in front of you in a firing grip and move as to push your elbows up just slightly until you feel your forearm muscles start to tighten.

I'm pretty sure I cribbed the basic idea from something Vogel discussed about his grip, and I've just played with it and found a spot where it is repeatable and works for me. It may not for everyone, but it has improved my recoil control and sight tracking.

User Tag List