Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Investment/heirloom rifle advice

Investment/heirloom rifle advice

I've decided to pull a couple grand out of a roth ira (no taxes, penalties, etc) and put a couple guns in the safe. My thinking is along the following lines: this is probably the golden age of firearms availability in the US, especially AR15's. Should Hillary win the election, there will surely be a panic and possibly bans, etc. I think if we had a time machine, all of us would go back to 1985 and buy a bunch of transferable MG's. Same thought process here. Also, if everything does not go badly, I have 2 sons form whom I'd like to have an AR and a pistol on standby anyway. My gut says Colt 6920's and Glock 19's. I have a pair of sequential SN 6920's being held for me at a LGS as I type. However, I begin to consider that for the price of the Colts ($1016 w/tax ea), I could almost get 2 S&W Sport II's or build something from PSA, etc.

The Colt's I'm looking at are the standard 2013 config (m4 handguards, waffle stock, etc) and are $950/ea before tax. The other option is I can get Magpul Colts for $999/ea + tax. Only thing is the Magpul guns have FDE furniture. Kinda wanted classic black for rifles that may not see daylight again for 15 years. Not seeing much on Gunbroker for less after you count shipping and transfer fees.

Thoughts?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I think you should go with your gut, 6920's and Glock19's.

I have a Colt 6920 and a G19 in the safe awaiting my three-year-old granddaughter.

Don't forget the magazines, spare parts and TM's.

So I guess that's my answer.

Each of my kids and step kids have/had a combination of a Colt 6920 and a Glock 19 set aside for them. I went back and upgraded the Colts with MagPul MOE SL furniture. I initially decided to do this because the future is uncertain. This combination will handle the majority of one's defensive needs. I started this with my two kids in 2006, when they were much younger. I have since remarried and now have three additional step kids. The step kids are all good kids who are growing up to be good people. They also have a care package in the safe. Some of the kids are now old enough that their Colt and Glock have been given to them.

Yes you could buy an M&P Sport. But with the on line price of a Colt 6920 or a 6920 OEM1, I would just as soon as go with the 6920.

I now have a 2 year old Grandson, and another one on the way. Time to go shopping again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a Colt 6920 and a G19 in the safe awaiting my three-year-old granddaughter.

Don't forget the magazines, spare parts and TM's.

So I guess that's my answer.
    Metal mags. They may need to last a long time.

As for the rifles, Colt, no question. The pony always gonna be the pony.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-20-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Metal mags. They may need to last a long time.

As for the rifles, Colt, no question. The pony always gonna be the pony.
    I'll have to dig out my spreadsheet upstairs, but I have northwards of 170 Colt mags, a mix of 30 and 20 rounders. The 5.56 rounds live in those. The PMags are dedicated to 300 BLK use. I want something that looks and feels different for the different caliber.

My "oh poop" mags are Colt 30's with Magpul followers, Lumpy plates and red SAW springs. They are never dropped, dribbled or bounced on the feed lips, and I have a gauge for the feed lips in my armorer box.

I probably have 100+ spare mag springs, floor plates and followers. I'd have to go look.

Site Supporter
    I use Lancer mags for 300 BLk for the same reason. The Lancers also allow slightly longer OAL than GI or PMAGS.

We current authorize Colt GI mags and PMAGS (gen 2/MOE Black no wlndow) at work. Lately it looks like era are going all PMAGS.

I've heard a couple people suggest using PMAGS now and saving GI Aluminum for long term storage / heirs since we don't know how plastic will age long term.

I'm guessing PMAGS should be fine in cool dark storage. Plastics in use can lose strength when exposed to UV.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-20-2016 at 11:49 PM.

My understanding is that the new Gen3 sand polymer is supposed to be the most UV resistant of all. I can reach out to Duane and/or Jimmy and confirm that.

I do have some Lancer 10-round AR mags, for trips to certain places with my AR pistol. I can load 7 rounds in them, and be legal.

I have had good luck with the new Tango Down mags, but have not really beat on them like the Colts. I still have some Colt 30's that I brought home from Okinawa in the 1980's. They still work.

Mags are a disposable item, of course. Until they are not. So why not stock up now, while they are cheap?

I am not a fan of PSA's AR's at all, but they did have an interesting deal yesterday. 200 rounds of .223 55-grain Gold Dots and 10 PMags for $159.

Be warned, their shipping is glacially slow. I ordered 10 of their M&P 9mm 17-round mags on sale at $20 each. They showed up 18 days later.

They do get some killer deals on Gold Dot rifle ammo, however. Both the 55-grain and 64-grain.

6920/G19 care package combo is hard to beat. Stick to all black and maybe swap the standard furniture to Magpul furniture and you'd be set. I'd also load them up with extra mags and spare parts as others have suggested.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing for my kid(s) when they come of age as well as soon as I get a few other things squared away.

I found a dealer online where I can get a pair of 6920 OEM1's. Price is just under $800 shipped/ea. Pretty sure I'm gonna go that route and then add Magpul furniture myself. Stock, handguards, and rear sight should be about $130/gun and I can get black....problem solved.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List