Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't decide on a standard pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    OP, don't take the word of a buncha guys on the internet. Can you find a local range with rentals? If so, I highly suggest going there to actually shoot the pistols you've picked (and you've picked a good list.)
    I think this is the WORST piece of advise for new shooters or first-time buyers. You're asking someone to pick a gun based on nonsense like "feel" and "fit" when they may not actually be gripping the gun properly, or presenting it properly, or a whole slew of other potential issues.

When starting out, buy the ubiquitous solution to start with, which in this case is the Glock 19. You'll get more support, more aftermarket options, more accessory options, and if you don't like it you'll have a broader market to which to sell it should you decide you need a snowflake gun.

With the G19 you can get ANY holster that's worth a damn, any sights that are worth a damn, $15 mags, trigger is improved easily for a marginal fee, and the other suggestions aren't appreciably better. If a new shooter does happen to reach a point where a VP9, P320, or an M&P 2.0 is appealing they will have a solid reason why and when they buy those the G19 will be just fine sitting in the safe.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think this is the WORST piece of advise for new shooters or first-time buyers. You're asking someone to pick a gun based on nonsense like "feel" and "fit" when they may not actually be gripping the gun properly, or presenting it properly, or a whole slew of other potential issues.

When starting out, buy the ubiquitous solution to start with, which in this case is the Glock 19. You'll get more support, more aftermarket options, more accessory options, and if you don't like it you'll have a broader market to which to sell it should you decide you need a snowflake gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    With the G19 you can get ANY holster that's worth a damn, any sights that are worth a damn, $15 mags, trigger is improved easily for a marginal fee, and the other suggestions aren't appreciably better. If a new shooter does happen to reach a point where a VP9, P320, or an M&P 2.0 is appealing they will have a solid reason why and when they buy those the G19 will be just fine sitting in the safe.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Normally I would agree with you guys, but he's from NY. Glock 10-rd mags are known to suck. I'd go with the M&P9c option instead.

I am 58 and am encountering arthritis issues with extended shooting time. I would rent the whole slew of them and pick the ones that were the gentlest to my hands. If it's too painful to practice with then I have picked the wrong gun.

Oh...and letting skilled people observe and correct my shooting style was very helpful in narrowing down choices.
    Last edited by KeithH; 09-22-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

THIS is probably the worst advice. Plenty of good options out there. Go out and rent guns from reputable manufacturers (hk,sig,beretta, glock) and narrow it down to what you like. Do research and if it turns out the Gun A has a better track record and feels good, pick A and then just practice/ get training. Don't get stuck in what everyone else is doing and tells you what to do. Buy a gun from a reputable manufacture with a good warranty and I promise you will survive the streets that Rob S doesn't even carry a gun on.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    I am 58 and am encountering arthritis issues with extended shooting time. I would rent the whole slew of them and pick the ones that were the gentlest to my hands. If it's too painful to practice with then I have picked the wrong gun.

Oh...and letting skilled people observe and correct my shooting style was very helpful in narrowing down choices.
    I am 65 and have been shooting a G17 Gen 4 since shortly after the Gen 4 was introduced. After getting the right RSA and ejector, it has run like a top. I too have arthritus issues. With WWB 115 grain the G17 is soft shooting. I carry 147 grain bonded JHP. I also shoot G19 Gen 4, winter EDC, a G43, summer EDC. They are all reliable and soft shooting as any pistol their size. Also, Tango Down +2 base plates work reliably in the G43.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 09-22-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post

This resonates with me...at 57, and my wife is, uh, let's see, uh, my wife is...ok she's of a similar age, how's that? anyway: I was shooting Speer Gold Dot 124+p's for self defense load. They do "pop" a bit, so when Doc put the Federal P9HST2 147 gr standard pressure round on "the list", I was pretty happy. I've only run a box through my VP9 and Walther PPS M2 so far, but 0 malfunctions. And if Doc says they are gtg, I'm using them with no hesitation.

As to getting skilled people to help, absolutely. In 2013 I was shooting at a fancy pants range north of Tampa, and got a lot of (free) advice from the Rangemasters there. They were all very helpful after I explained that I did not, really, have a lot of shooting experience.

One thing that stands out in my memory, is that they said "shooting well is about being comfortable; if you aren't comfortable, you aren't going to shoot well." I heartily agree with that.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-22-2016 at 05:24 PM.

I appreciate all the comments written in response to my post regarding selecting another pistol. As I wrote at the end of my post I am lucky to have all these options. The four pistols listed as far as I am concerned are exceptional and I will also be considering other pistols in addition to those four. Now in my post, I had omitted a fact with respect to the Glock 19. I will only be considering the Gen3 Glock because Gen3s have a better reliability record. A special thanks to Virtuosity Student, HCM and Spinmove_. Mucho thanks in pointing out the problem with Glock’s ten round mags. I was unaware there was any problem with Glock’s ten round mags. Now, I realize it will take a bit of time before I make my selection. The selection process will not be easy task, but I look forward to it because I am going to enjoy this journey. Nevertheless, I am not the only person who believes such a decision is not to be taken lightly. Each person on this forum had to make this decision. In fact one person wrote an article on his selection. See the March 9, 2014 The Firearms Show article by KerryG:

http://thefirearmsshow.com/carry-glock-19-9mm/

According to the article KerryG took three months to make his decision. I will let you know what pistol I have selected when I have made my decision. Thank you all for the helpful comments. I read each and every comment and each comment was interesting and held my attention.

I used to recommend going to a range, trying several different pistols and choosing the one that an individual shoots best.

The problem is that a novice shooter isn't going to be consistent enough or even have the proper skill set to validate a test. The skill set just isn't there, until an individual gets some decent trigger time, preferably with proper instruction.

I've seen way too many people end up with eclectic pistol choices based solely on their first range trip, shooting a couple mags through a few rental guns.

So I will echo the suggestion for the M&P9c.

Glock 26 with Pearce +0 extension if you need your pinky on the grip. I know you said compact, but if you are limited to 10 rounds this makes sense to me as I find the G26 more accurate than the 19. The 19's only advantage to me is capacity, which you can't utilize.

I have a couple 19s and 26s, a sight pusher and a bunch of replacement springs. I can maintain my Glocks on my own and spend my money on cases of training ammo. Simple and very effective for me because I don't collect, I shoot.

User Tag List