Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can't decide on a standard pistol

Hey folks,

I'm back and here is my update. It is probably obvious to everyone that all of these pistols would shoot very well. In fact each pistol shoots better than I do. My performance with all of these pistols was significantly better than my performance with my Shield. I do not like the sights on either the Glock or the Sig Sauer. If I were to go with either of these pistols I would upgrade their sights - even though they both shot very well for me. Shooting techniques are subjective. I found the PPQ and the VP9 to have the best triggers. As to triggers, I must give them a tie. I'm no expert, and I am unable to perceive which pistol had the better trigger - YMMV. The P320's (wasn't able to rent a P320C) trigger was only lightly behind PPQ and the VP9. The Glock's trigger was good. I cannot say anything bad about it and I did shoot it very well. Its trigger, however in my humble opinion, is not up to the other three. The VP9 is a great pistol - shoots very well, its very comfortable to hold and to handle. I would highly recommend the VP9 as a great duty pistol for LEOs, a great home defense pistol and a great range pistol. However, the grip is rather high on the VP9 (5.41 inches) and as a civilian with my body type the VP9 would be a bit difficult to conceal. So, that is one pistol down and two to go.

Go rent the guns you talked about, shoot them. Then you can have a basis for what you shoot the best. Then when you decide, shoot the shit out of it. Put 2-3k through it. Then go buy a spare, shoot it till you are completely comfortable. Now you have a training gun, and a carry gun.
    Now, don't go cheapest route on a holster. Buy a good holster. There are plenty of brands being discussed. Be prepared to spend a 100+/- on kydex and a lot more for good leather. A good holster is really important. You can conceal an Abrahms tank, with a good holster.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 11-21-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol"HossBeckwourth View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm back and here is my update. It is probably obvious to everyone that all of these pistols would shoot very well. In fact each pistol shoots better than I do. My performance with all of these pistols was significantly better than my performance with my Shield. I do not like the sights on either the Glock or the Sig Sauer. If I were to go with either of these pistols I would upgrade their sights - even though they both shot very well for me. Shooting techniques are subjective. I found the PPQ and the VP9 to have the best triggers. As to triggers, I must give them a tie. I'm no expert, and I am unable to perceive which pistol had the better trigger - YMMV. The P320's (wasn't able to rent a P320C) trigger was only lightly behind PPQ and the VP9. The Glock's trigger was good. I cannot say anything bad about it and I did shoot it very well. Its trigger, however in my humble opinion, is not up to the other three. The VP9 is a great pistol - shoots very well, its very comfortable to hold and to handle. I would highly recommend the VP9 as a great duty pistol for LEOs, a great home defense pistol and a great range pistol. However, the grip is rather high on the VP9 (5.41 inches) and as a civilian with my body type the VP9 would be a bit difficult to conceal. So, that is one pistol down and two to go.
    Arguably sights are more important and even more subjective. A wise man once said "figure out which scope you want to buy, then put a gun on your scope". I think that somewhat holds true to pistols as well, to a point.

Good triggers can be good, but keep in mind, a good shooter can shoot just about anything well, crappy trigger and all.

I think you should choose your pistol based on what you can conceal well and shoot well. A good belt, a good holster, good placement, and some mindful clothes wearing and you can conceal quite a bit.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Disregard this post. Overtaken by events.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 11-22-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Can you believe that I had forgotten this post? Well, I was looking for a good carry pistol and all these pistols were excellent. I knew that I couldn't go wrong no matter what pistol I chose. Each pistol can shoot better than I will ever shoot. YMMV, I ranked the PPQ and the VP9 with excellent triggers. Followed closely behind was the P320. When it came down to it, I liked the Walther PPQ the best, but I felt PPQ's trigger was too light for me to carry as an EDC pistol. So, I went with the P320, 9mm, Compact with Contrast Sights. I'll have either Trijicon's HD XR or Sig's XRay3 Tritiums Sights installed. I'll be good to go as soon as Sig does the recall opps... the P320 Voluntary Upgrade! Thank you all for your expertise and comments.

User Tag List