Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't decide on a standard pistol

Can't decide on a standard pistol

There are just too many good pistols to select from! Only recently upon approaching retirement did I take up shooting. I had never shot a handgun and decided to go with a 9mm Shield because it concealed so well. As a novice at the time, I was unaware that it is more difficult to learn the fundamentals on a subcompact. Well in order to keep the story short, I am finally shooting well with the Shield (and that is only for my standards alone!). So, I have now decided to add on a standard/compact size pistol. Originally, I was going for the Glock which has been called the AK-47 of pistols. As far as I can see Glock has established the standard for striker carry pistols. As I see it, the Glock is an excellent pistol the G19 is accurate, reliable and easy to shoot whether you be either an expert or beginner. But when you have those additional purchase options of some many good striker fire pistols not limited to: Sig Sauer's P320, Heckler & Koch VP9 and the Walther PPQ (I left out some other very good brands), the decision becomes more difficult. All four are excellent pistols and to tell you the truth I don't believe I could go wrong by selecting any one of these models. However in this case, I only looking to buy one darn standard/compact size striker fire pistol. I certainly will not be buying all four pistols. However, I'm reminded of the feeling of buyer's regret. No pistol is perfect. Each one comes with it's own individual pros and cons. However the cons of whatever pistol I purchase will lead to equal buyer's regret. One of these days I will have to bite the bullet. As quiet as it is kept, how lucky I am to have these options!

Get a G19 and sights. Shoot that until you notice a deficiency that needs addressed.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol"HossBeckwourth View Post
    All four are excellent pistols and to tell you the truth I don't believe I could go wrong by selecting any one of these models.
    I think you are exactly right there ^^^^^^

Beyond that, I'd agree with orionz06.

Good luck!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I read your OP a few times but I still can't tell...
    1) Are you dead set on a striker fired handgun or open to other options?
    2) Do you have an actual question for the members here?
    3) Are you looking for a "Duty" size gun or a "Compact"...sorry, I'm not sure what "Standard" really means.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Get a G19 and sights. Shoot that until you notice a deficiency that needs addressed.
    Accept no substitute
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I can't not echo this as well. It doesn't even matter what sights you get for the G19 either, just as long as they're steel and good quality.

The Ameriglo Defoor sights are what I'm currently running on mine: https://www.amazon.com/AMERIGLO-DEFO...+defoor+sights

Or you could start off with the Glock OEM steel sights for around the same price:
    http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GLSP04197.htm
    http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/GLSP07079.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I think you are exactly right there ^^^^^^

Beyond that, I'd agree with orionz06.

Good luck!
    ^
    What he said.

I'd personally lean toward the German options in that list, but that's because I've established a personal preference for their "weird" paddle mag releases. Until such time as the OP determines that there's something about a G19 that doesn't do it for him (I'm assuming here, but "Ol Hoss" seems like an unlikely name for a her), a G19 is probably the best option out there in terms of "pistol, 9mm, generic, mid-size." When/if he decides something about it doesn't do what he wants, it'll be easy to move it on for minimal financial loss. The other guns in that list might be slightly harder to resell, at least in terms of speed of sale, and will have somewhat less aftermarket accessory/holster support. On some level, though, none of them are bad choices.

Shoot them all and decide which one you like the best. If you want the best aftermarket support, no comparison; go Glock and don't look back. If that doesn't matter to you, any of the above should be fine. Also, you could wait and see if the M&P 2.0 comes out at the beginning of the year. It might be the perfect companion to your Shield.

Bah, you guys are nutz.

OP, don't take the word of a buncha guys on the internet. Can you find a local range with rentals? If so, I highly suggest going there to actually shoot the pistols you've picked (and you've picked a good list.)

I am 57, just retired, and purchased my first handgun in 2013, an M&P Full Size 9mm. This was after shooting darn near everything available at the time. Since then, I bought a VP9, as well as a Walther PPS M2.

I found there is no substitute for how a gun changes in your hand when shooting; and I don't think you will get objective data on how a handgun fits you, on the web.

Any of the four you picked (Glock, PPQ, VP9 or P320) would work well for your purposes, imho.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-20-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol"HossBeckwourth View Post
    All four are excellent pistols and to tell you the truth I don't believe I could go wrong by selecting any one of these models.
    This is definitely true ^^^

However, if you shot all four I can almost guarantee you would come away with very clear preferences.

User Tag List