Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker fired appendix carry

I carry a Glock 17 AIWB on a daily basis, but won't denigrate those who feel that the risks aren't worth it.

Count me among those who is okay with a striker fired gun AIWB. But strongly prefers other options, be they thumb-safety equipped guns, DAO guns, or LEM guns.

That said, I've long felt that if you must administratively handle your handgun daily, then appendix carry is NOT for you. Otherwise, the need to reholster an appendix carried gun is very limited. I think I've outlined this before, but I'll do so again. You can limit your risk of an appendix ND by:

1) Holstering the pistol, BEFORE mounting the holster on your belt. Meaning, put the gun in the holster with one hand on the holster and on the gun. There is NO need to holster an appendix gun with the holster attached to your belt, regularly. Seriously, STOP DOING IT. Put the gun in the holster, then put the entire rig in your pants. If you're holstering an appendix carried gun once a day, you're doing it wrong.
    2) Practice draws and reholsters with a BLUE GUN. Blue guns are cheap and I can't fathom why everyone doesn't have a blue gun representation of their carry gun for drawing and reholstering practice.
    3) Hard break when you return to the holster with your blue gun and live gun.
    4) Reholster a live gun only when doing live range work.

Under that framework, you should not be regularly reholstering a live gun in appendix carry, period. But you should be regularly practicing your hard break to reholster with your blue gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Count me among those who is okay with a striker fired gun AIWB. But strongly prefers other options, be they thumb-safety equipped guns, DAO guns, or LEM guns.

That said, I've long felt that if you must administratively handle your handgun daily, then appendix carry is NOT for you. Otherwise, the need to reholster an appendix carried gun is very limited. I think I've outlined this before, but I'll do so again. You can limit your risk of an appendix ND by:

1) Holstering the pistol, BEFORE mounting the holster on your belt. Meaning, put the gun in the holster with one hand on the holster and on the gun. There is NO need to holster an appendix gun with the holster attached to your belt, regularly. Seriously, STOP DOING IT. Put the gun in the holster, then put the entire rig in your pants. If you're holstering an appendix carried gun once a day, you're doing it wrong.
    2) Practice draws and reholsters with a BLUE GUN. Blue guns are cheap and I can't fathom why everyone doesn't have a blue gun representation of their carry gun for drawing and reholstering practice.
    3) Hard break when you return to the holster with your blue gun and live gun.
    4) Reholster a live gun only when doing live range work.

Under that framework, you should not be regularly reholstering a live gun in appendix carry, period. But you should be regularly practicing your hard break to reholster with your blue gun.
    Now I know what it must be like to live in California.

Thanks, Mom.
    Last edited by blues; 09-20-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Timely thread for me. I've carried / practiced with a G19 for a few years now and last month at the range out of the blue, I got gunshy about the process. No reason at all besides I just looked down and felt uneasy for the first time. It was surreal since after that I couldn't work a speed draw, it was as if all the sudden I had to monitor where my finger was on the draw at all times, and no longer trusted mysekf. It reminded me of the 7th grade when I did gainers all summer and have never been able to do one since. My brain just said nope, and I literally cannot do it.

Still carrying glock, but It caused me to make a post about getting a USPc.. I need to see how the other side feels / times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    <Matthew 10:28>

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Now I know what it must be like to live in California.

Thanks, Mom.
    Given that I could easily find a dozen videos on Youtube of people holstering live guns in appendix carry, without showing due diligence...and given the lack of common sense that can be found in a vast majority of the gun world...I find it completely reasonable to point out some basic steps to follow that can reduce anyone's chance of potentially injuring/killing themself.

Remember the only thing common about common sense is the lack of it. Not that I am suggesting that anyone here lacks common sense, but I don't know every person here or who might be reading those words.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-20-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    Timely thread for me. I've carried / practiced with a G19 for a few years now and last month at the range out of the blue, I got gunshy about the process. No reason at all besides I just looked down and felt uneasy for the first time. It was surreal since after that I couldn't work a speed draw, it was as if all the sudden I had to monitor where my finger was on the draw at all times, and no longer trusted mysekf. It reminded me of the 7th grade when I did gainers all summer and have never been able to do one since. My brain just said nope, and I literally cannot do it.

Still carrying glock, but It caused me to make a post about getting a USPc.. I need to see how the other side feels / times.
    Great post. I'm not sure if you should be encouraged to try to overcome the issue or if the better part of valor is just to move on from either appendix carry or appendix carry with that weapon.

Unrelated to firearms but I think something similar happens in a variety of arenas to many folks at various times in their lives. Baseball players that can't throw to a base. Climbers that don't feel comfortable climbing anymore.

I admire your ability to discuss it openly and find a solution that works for you.

I did it for a while, the whole time trying to convince myself that it was safe, and that proper training and technique would keep me safe.

After having to re-holster a few times outside of a sanitary training environment, I decided it was a fool's errand to keep doing that. I went back to my P239 and I don't see myself going without a hammer again.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Great post. I'm not sure if you should be encouraged to try to overcome the issue or if the better part of valor is just to move on from either appendix carry or appendix carry with that weapon.

Unrelated to firearms but I think something similar happens in a variety of arenas to many folks at various times in their lives. Baseball players that can't throw to a base. Climbers that don't feel comfortable climbing anymore.

I admire your ability to discuss it openly and find a solution that works for you.
    Happened to me also. Juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore. After my son was born, it really solidified my decision, my whole approach is risk mitigation now. A hammer and longer first trigger pull reduces a lot of risk if I have a stupid human moment.

*what George said below me nails it. This is my choice, not to say its the right one.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-20-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Confidence in all aspects of your carry gun strikes me as very important. If you are uncomfortable in your position of carry, or the characteristics of your carry gun, find something you do feel good about. Realize that your perception is applicable to you and not others and their choices.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you fuc* up! You die!

Other than that no big deal. Just don't fuc* up!

User Tag List