Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Striker fired appendix carry

I fly somewhat similar aircraft for a living and off body carry sometimes is the best option considering where I go and what I do. When I used to carry a Glock on board it was the only time I carried with an empty chamber just because things can and do get weird in airplanes!

Site Supporter
    That looks like a situation a Tanker-style holster might have some utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That looks like a situation a Tanker-style holster might have some utility.
    Shoulder holsters seem pretty good in the aircraft with a few caveats. I am quite particular about the fit of the holster, especially with a striker pistol. The Survival Sheath kydex holsters are good on solid coverage, but the company is tough to deal with, and I had a number of them stolen in a burglary a year back. I don't trust leather, that relies on a strap for retention, especially with a striker. I don't like chest holsters, as I don't want the imprint of the gun pressed into my chest in the event of a crash. Plus, once I get out of the plane, shoulder harnesses are a nuisance, and in some areas where concealment is desirable, not so good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have worked holstering and drawing extensively in a car with a blue gun, and try to get out and do it once every couple of months. I think it's the most challenging safe direction scenario and I also think it's very realistic. AIWB demands much more control over muzzle direction than 3:00 in this specific context. I find it to be yuck.

Incidentally 3:00 carry solves a lot of the problems people have with 3:30 carry mentioned above. I can access my pistol without a gross lean or popping the belt.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If enough people make excuses for their poor choices it becomes the norm, and the norm is acceptable.

I stand firmly by it. If you think it's too risky to train with on a square range, you have no business carrying it out on the street. No excuses.
    I do almost all of my shooting in the desert or up in the mountains. Since I'm at least 30 minutes away from any medical assistance I don't practice draws and reholstering when I'm out in those locations. (AIWB, OWB, 3 o'clock)

It is part of my dry firing routine.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This experience really reduced my interest in striker pistols without a thumb safety or Gadget like device for use in an aircraft, and frankly even for general use.
    GJM - what pistol do you currently use in this situation? I recall that you are discussing a USP with a hybrid match trigger in another thread, but I assumed that was for competition. Or is that your carry setup?

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    GJM - what pistol do you currently use in this situation? I recall that you are discussing a USP with a hybrid match trigger in another thread, but I assumed that was for competition. Or is that your carry setup?
    Since June, I have been running either a USP FS or HK45C. The USP has a hybrid match LEM, and the HK45C has as close to that as possible. Things can change frequently with me, and I will be in lower 48 much of the winter -- so who knows what next month will bring.

Things can change frequently with me....so who knows what next month will bring.
    This.

GNiner, to put it in better perspective, he hasn't even committed to which pistol (brand or otherwise) he's going to shoot at a class THIS weekend yet. Although admittedly, that's probably to dick with me more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    This.

GNiner, to put it in better perspective, he hasn't even committed to which pistol (brand or otherwise) he's going to shoot at a class THIS weekend yet. Although admittedly, that's probably to dick with me more than anything else.
    Sure I have, I am just screwing with you. Payback from that stage on area one where you let me stick my head through the window, and didn't tell me you were not going to!

Sure I have, I am just screwing with you. Payback from that stage on area one where you let me stick my head through the window, and didn't tell me you were not going to!
    That stage still gives me nightmares.

User Tag List