Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with a fun-gun....non-semi rifle for club 3-gun

.30-40 Krag!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This rifle: https://www.gunsamerica.com/96316074...n-760-30-0.htm

It handles like an 870, it will take any scope or iron sights that a bolt gun will take, it's a 30/06, and you can get 10-round mags.

Plus this hat: http://www.filson.com/men/hats-and-c...w-cap.html#277

Okie John
    Now that is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Even though it uses DBM's, it isn't tactical at all. I hate tactical and I intend to prove it. Love the hat. I'm going for borderline ridiculous here, and plan to never let any of the slow AR shooters forget they got whooped by whatever I come up with. I have a whole year to load some powderpuff loads and game it to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Now that is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Even though it uses DBM's, it isn't tactical at all. I hate tactical and I intend to prove it. Love the hat. I'm going for borderline ridiculous here, and plan to never let any of the slow AR shooters forget they got whooped by whatever I come up with. I have a whole year to load some powderpuff loads and game it to the max.
    A youth load of H4895 and a cheap 147 FMJ will save wear and tear on your shoulder and ears, and cases won't stick in the chamber on the run-and-gun stages, and depending on course design, you might start beating some of the better AR shooters. Also, the 760 and 7600 are often sub MOA shooters out of the box, so you can sting some of the long-range guys, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    .30-40 Krag!
    Mega dittos!!!! A sporterized Krag Carbine would bring a measure of style and panache to an otherwise ho hum competition.

Site Supporter
    I'm liking the ideas here....

CZ 527 in 7.62x39 would be my pick. NECG makes a rear aperture that clamps to the dovetail. 5 round mags are a little expensive though.

If you're using an optic then a Howa mini action might be a good choice. Their proprietary mags are a bit cheaper than CZ.

If you want to shoot a Milsurp I'd say find a decent Mauser... 8mm isn't too terribly expensive.

Or shoot a Garand cuz 'Merica. Last match I shot with the M1 I ended up knocking over all of the target stands less than ~7 yards away. It was awesome.

Here's another though- a Steyr-Mannlicher 95 carbine. If a 5 shot, clip loaded, straight pull bolt action firing an obsolescent cartridge isn't hipster, I don't know what is.
    Collector's has a few in stock, and Numrich sells the clips.

Dunno how much they cost, but Remington Model 8, with Bonnie and Clyde period correct clothing would be cool. We have a guy here who could advise on the details, if we can lure him away from his Smaug hoarde of N frames.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 09-19-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Dunno how much they cost, but Remington Model 8, with Bonnie and Clyde period correct clothing would be cool. We have a guy here who could advise on the details, if we can lure him away from his Smaug hoarde of N frames.
    Zoot Shooters
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Swiss straight pulls are cool.
    Yugo mausers are cheap
    No. 4 Lee-Enfields are cheap and have pretty good sights. Sporterized ones are maybe $300
    Carcanos are really cheap and light and have en bloc clips for faster loading
    Mas 36 are supposed to be pretty good

Check out TFB-tv on youtube, they do some interesting gun hipster vids.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 09-20-2016 at 08:01 AM.

User Tag List