Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me with a fun-gun....non-semi rifle for club 3-gun

Site Supporter

Help me with a fun-gun....non-semi rifle for club 3-gun

So our club has an informal, annual 3-gun Weaponsmaster match. I can't hit a darn thing with a shotgun so I always just shoot rifle and pistol. The rules break rifles down only into irons and optics, not into action types. If you shoot .30 or bigger you shoot 2 shots to the 3 that anything under .30 requires.

In previous years I've taken an AR but have been getting bored with that. So this year I took a Pawn Shop .30-30 and had great fun with it, even beating some of the worst AR shooters. But to be fair I could've nearly beat the same guys with my Ruger No. 1. The courses of fire involve 20-30 rounds at around 75 yds max, shooting on the move, with downloaded first magazines so reloads are required. I've started thinking about a rifle for next year, something loaded by stripper clips rather than single-loading through a gate. I don't really want to shoot one of the modern 'tactical' Scout bolt rifles with DBM's; I would rather do this in style. Good sights and quick loading (relatively speaking) are the main requirements. I don't care about the caliber, other than it be at least .30 and not a pistol cartridge. I'll reload for whatever it is so obscure calibers are fine. Is the Enfield the only rifle in the running?

PS - This is totally a fun-gun question. I have rifles for other uses so please don't sidetrack the thread by trying to inject it with reality.

.303 Lee Enfield?

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    PS - This is totally a fun-gun question. I have rifles for other uses so please don't sidetrack the thread by trying to inject it with reality.
    DOES NOT COMPUTE

Swiss K31 or similar?

Obviously you said non-semi in your title, but that sounds self-inflicted since other guys are running ARs and action type isn't specified? I'd be tempted to run something like a CMP M1 Garand.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

An FN 49 would also work, if you're looking for a semi-auto hipster gun.

This rifle: https://www.gunsamerica.com/96316074...n-760-30-0.htm

It handles like an 870, it will take any scope or iron sights that a bolt gun will take, it's a 30/06, and you can get 10-round mags.

Plus this hat: http://www.filson.com/men/hats-and-c...w-cap.html#277

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A 1903 or 03A3 Springfield would fit most of that including stripper loading. a 1917 (US) Enfield would also. The 1917s have excellent sights, the 03A3 next best. Zeroing to point of aim is often a matter of swapping front sights, the rears aren't zero-able for elevation in either, and not for windage in the case of the 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    An FN 49 would also work, if you're looking for a semi-auto hipster gun.
    In that case, an MAS 49 might be easier to acquire and can be loaded with stripper clips.

Which reminds me, that rifle is supposed to be a true 'direct inpingement' gun (I came to that part of PFestivus too late)
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 09-19-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, let me be clear as our C-I-C would say. The field is awash with AR's, M1A's, and M1's. I want to be the special snowflake having fun while everybody else shoots their same-same boring rifles. I don't want to win. I whoop most of them in pistol so I don't have anything to prove. I just want to stir the pot, but without single-loading like last time. No DBM's, I want old school stripper clips. And yes, this is completely self-inflicted. But in a fun way.

Although I will add I've always wanted an FN-49. Just not for this particular case.

I do already have a couple of '09 Argentine Mausers. One of them's a carbine but more than 5 rds at a time would be nice and their sights aren't fast. Thus my thoughts on the Enfield. Maybe a No 5 Mk 1.

User Tag List