View Poll Results: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personal Defense against general threat(s).

139 76.37%
  • Personal Defense against a Specific Threat(s) in the past, present , or future.

7 3.85%
  • Employee of a gun shop and/or gun range.

0 0%
  • Professional reasons -Law Enforcement, Military, Private Security, Pro Competition.

29 15.93%
  • Not Applicable Because 'Murrica ( Constitutional Carry State)

4 2.20%
  • Not Applicable - State Wont Issue (Urban California, New Jersey, etc)

3 1.65%
  • Wilderness Carry ,Personal Defense against large animals in the field.

0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    When I was about 15 or so, I thought it would be funny to get business cards made up that said, "[RevolverRob] Mortuary. You Stab 'em, I slab 'em. Mortician, Undertaker, Creamator of the Dead or Living." - I had about 50 of them made up and gave them to friends and family as gags. Maybe I should do it again...only this time I'll give them to people on airplanes...
    When I was a kid hanging around a camera store, one of the customers had a business card wich listed things such as "wars waged, uprisings fomented, revolutions suppressed, dogs trained. Fees reasonable" and similar stuff.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Because going about unarmed is completely undignified.....

Because when seconds count the cops are only minutes away...

Because those who beat their swords into plowshares tend to end up plowing for those who didn't....

Because the whole concept of learned helplessness just makes me physically ill....

Because armed folks are citizens....unarmed folks are subjects.

Because....."The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."- Thomas Jefferson

Because.....Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.-Theodore Roosevelt

Because....”You are bound to meet misfortune if you are unarmed because, among other reasons, people despise you….There is simply no comparison between a man who is armed and one who is not. It is unreasonable to expect that an armed man should obey one who is unarmed, or that an unarmed man should remain safe and secure when his servants are armed. In the latter case, there will be suspicion on the one hand and contempt on the other, making cooperation impossible.” - Niccolo Machiavelli

Because...The man who does not exercise the first law of nature- that of self-preservation- is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life."- John Wesley Hardin

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Another day, another watch list.
    Meh. Being an agnostic, biracial, libertarian, gun owning, anti-government, academic - puts me on the short list of people who may be answers in the category, "Most Likely to Instigate Rebellion, Revolution, or serve as a Charismatic Leader Against Tyranny." - Which therefore paints a pretty large target on my back for those who would seek to instigate tyranny...Hence I return to my justification for carrying a tool of self-preservation, "All Lawful Purposes".

This poll/thread is sort of out of place on this forum.

GardoneVT, I would expect that you have been here long enough to get a feel for people and not need to post this poll

Normally this type of poll that I would expect to find on one of those lessor forums.
    Last edited by Ed L; 09-21-2016 at 07:59 PM.

My answer:

"None of your $&@%ing business."

Humans - the worst animal on Earth.
    They are every where !

The poll does not allow a person to choose multiple options.

Frankly after carrying a handgun for so long, both for professional purposes as well as defense of family/self, recreation, etc, etc, I honestly don't give it much contemplation, as it is just an everyday part of existence.

It is those times when I am some place else, and am not armed than I truly think about it, and quite frankly, I don't like it.

I clicked on the 1st answer but could have been comfortable with any of them. At this point in my life, after what I've seen & experienced, I think my sanity would have to be questioned if I didn't carry a sidearm.
    One of my grown nieces asked me recently "Uncle Dave, do you ALWAYS carry a gun?" My answer was no sweetheart, only while I'm awake. She is pro gun (like 95% of my relatives, thank God), so it was more of a lifestyle question than a justification question.

"When one needs a revolver, one wants it very badly." - Lieutenant Colonel George Vincent Fosbery VC

Mostly because human nature hasn't changed much in the last 1000 years.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I clicked on the 1st answer but could have been comfortable with any of them. At this point in my life, after what I've seen & experienced, I think my sanity would have to be questioned if I didn't carry a sidearm.
    One of my grown nieces asked me recently "Uncle Dave, do you ALWAYS carry a gun?" My answer was no sweetheart, only while I'm awake. She is pro gun (like 95% of my relatives, thank God), so it was more of a lifestyle question than a justification question.

Please give thanks for having family that supports you and is pro gun. You may have seen a thread I started last summer about "....telling the family we are armed." In hindsight, I should have never cluttered up this forum with my problems. However, the good news is there are so many decent responses there that I still go back and read them for continuing support.

User Tag List