View Poll Results: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personal Defense against general threat(s).

139 76.37%
  • Personal Defense against a Specific Threat(s) in the past, present , or future.

7 3.85%
  • Employee of a gun shop and/or gun range.

0 0%
  • Professional reasons -Law Enforcement, Military, Private Security, Pro Competition.

29 15.93%
  • Not Applicable Because 'Murrica ( Constitutional Carry State)

4 2.20%
  • Not Applicable - State Wont Issue (Urban California, New Jersey, etc)

3 1.65%
  • Wilderness Carry ,Personal Defense against large animals in the field.

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

I think this is more of a "mindset" post as compared to a semi-auto discussion post

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    ... Little by comparison is discussed regarding WHY.
    My evolution on everyday carry can be broken into pre-Andrew v post-Andrew. (Which a lot of folks living in south Florida at that time can say regarding a lot of things like storing water, food, etc.)

Living in South Florida post Hurricane Andrew changed my views on handguns. Having a means to defend my family while moving from point A to point B became apparent. One couldn't just walk around with a rifle or shottie, although some did, but having something like a pistol on you at all times was a necessity due to looters and assorted critters. Pre-Andrew, I had grownup around LE, my grandfather and great-uncle were both Sheriffs of the county I grew up in. Many family members were on the job so I understood their need to carry a pistol but, as a guy that also grew up around shotguns and rifles a pistol seemed like a waste of time. My father, uncles, and grandfather were all accomplished trap and skeet shooters. My mom has a picture of me shooting clays when I was 8. If I can reach it with a shottie, I'm confident I'll hit it. So I've had and still have all kinds of shotties but pistols pre-Andrew? I would have said; if you're going to kill something just get a real gun.

Post-Andrew I would say; carry a pistol as often as you can because you never know what's going to happen and it's you're responsibility to protect yourself and your family. First responders will get there as soon as they can, IF they can, but until then it's all on you.

So that's the why for me; experiential learning has taught me that I'm my own first responder in all matters of self preservation. Whether it's a person, an animal, or Mother Nature. It's on me to make sure I'm prepared to get it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Like most, probably a combination of reasons. The first and last listed being most to the point.

I grew up shooting, with parents that let me indulge my interests at a fairly young age (first 22 rifle at about 9 or 10, first 22 pistol about 11, first 357 about 13, etc....) I rode small dirt bike/enduro motorcycles on the street several years before being legally old enough, and often went squirrel hunting with the K-22 and such on our private property out of town. The local real gun shop would sell me ammo knowing I was underage, but knew the family well. Was nice considering that particular Midwestern states restrictive gun laws.

...One day a miscreant went into my dads office and shot everyone there in the head. Dad wasn't there, nor his brother. Killed one lady that worked there, others seriously hurt. I started carrying something on me or close by about then (17 yrs old) and have never been far from a pistol of some sort since. Since being in the west, I also usually have a Winchester carbine or other rifle of some sort close or in hand when out and about in the hills.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-19-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Because life contains many things that want to end life.

Also, I don't understand the idea of not carrying a weapon (meant partially as a joke and partially seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    ...snip
    It's interesting how much real world experience with BAD THINGS changes people's outlooks. My wife lived through Andrew in south Miami (Perrine), and, despite her family's roof being torn off by a tornado and living through the resulting looting/civil disobedience, came through with a still neutral outlook on personal carry of fireams. Fast forward about five years, and my wife (then 7 months pregnant with our oldest boy) came home from work to find several Metro Dade Officers talking with the neighbor. The neighbor had, on returning to his home at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, been met with several thugs with pistols, and robbed, then forced to open the house for them to clear out what they wanted. That night when I came home, my wife told me we were going to the gun show in Ft. Lauderdale that weekend so she could find "her" gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Probably better to make this a check-box poll as I am sure >1 will apply for many people here.

Personally, I carry because I have a long standing interest in firearms that crystallized into a strong interest in handguns and handgun sports about 6-7 years ago. After buying my first couple pistols at the age of 21, I realized that 1) a CCW permit facilitates the transportation of firearms quite a bit, and 2) as long as I am interested in developing skill with a handgun, it made sense to have legal permission to carry one in public so that I could protect myself with lethal force should the need ever arise.

I do not believe I would have applied for a CCW permit or bought a handgun if I wasn't interested in handguns for their own sake to begin with.
    I thought about a multi-checkbox survey, but then most of us here would be checking at least three if not more boxes. I sought out prioritized reasons for carrying , as judged by the respondents.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The first two reasons on the poll apply to me, as does Nephrology's reason about ease of transport. I picked the "specific threat" option in the poll because that's the biggest reason for me, but as others have said, this would really be better as a checkbox/multiple answers possible poll.

I don't want to get kilt on the street.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    For a long time, it was for the "general protection" reason, and I suppose still is, but in the two years since I became a prosecutor in a relatively small community I carry almost 24/7 and am now always cruising with a 9mm rather than a .380 whenever I can help it. Put enough violent criminals in jail and grudges may develop.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Brigid at Home On The Range has this take on it.

Some snippets:

"Because I can't throw a pit bull at 1200 feet per second."
    "Because a running chainsaw is just hard to get through the aisle at Kwik E Mart late at night."
    "Because tying angry Grizzlies to the front, side and rear of my car might stop the average carjacker, but it's a bitch to parallel park. "

User Tag List