View Poll Results: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personal Defense against general threat(s).

139 76.37%
  • Personal Defense against a Specific Threat(s) in the past, present , or future.

7 3.85%
  • Employee of a gun shop and/or gun range.

0 0%
  • Professional reasons -Law Enforcement, Military, Private Security, Pro Competition.

29 15.93%
  • Not Applicable Because 'Murrica ( Constitutional Carry State)

4 2.20%
  • Not Applicable - State Wont Issue (Urban California, New Jersey, etc)

3 1.65%
  • Wilderness Carry ,Personal Defense against large animals in the field.

0 0%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

Why Do You Carry a Weapon?

I see that much is said on the Gunternet about which pistol to carry, how to shoot it , etc.

Little by comparison is discussed regarding WHY.

Lets change that.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Easy day, and almost a direct quote from Tom Givens:

Because some day I may have to shoot someone that's threatening the lives of myself or my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because my profession grants me the awesome responsibility of possibly using a weapon in the defense of life (mine and others).

When I ride off into the sunset, I will continue to carry wherever/whenever legal for the same reason - to be prepared to defend me and mine from predators. If that is NOT the reason you're carrying a firearm as a non-LEO, I suggest that you need a serious rethink.

Anyone carrying for any other reason (looking at you "political statement" OC folks and other various wannabe posers) is, IMNSHO, an insufferable fool. But, then again, I'm just a poor dumb country boy from Lawn Guyland - what do I know?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Probably better to make this a check-box poll as I am sure >1 will apply for many people here.

Personally, I carry because I have a long standing interest in firearms that crystallized into a strong interest in handguns and handgun sports about 6-7 years ago. After buying my first couple pistols at the age of 21, I realized that 1) a CCW permit facilitates the transportation of firearms quite a bit, and 2) as long as I am interested in developing skill with a handgun, it made sense to have legal permission to carry one in public so that I could protect myself with lethal force should the need ever arise.

I do not believe I would have applied for a CCW permit or bought a handgun if I wasn't interested in handguns for their own sake to begin with.

Leaving out the political content, (as I am a non-combatant in this arena), I believe the posts of the first two gentlemen who responded to the OP above describe the reasons why I carry (in retirement).
    Last edited by blues; 09-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 670
Size:  66.2 KB

After seeing firsthand violence in other countries, I refuse to allow that to happen to those around myself.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-19-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Law enforcement and gaming in the same option?

I am disappoint.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Generally, to defend my family and myself. Specifically, because my oldest child went bad. I grew up like every other redneck around here, shot lots of guns hunting and just plinking around. Handguns were just another recreational gun. My wife and I adopted two sisters from protective services and our youngest adopted us and fully joined our family. The oldest didn't and left home the day after her 18th birthday and promptly went off the deep end into drugs and the lifestyle that often goes with them. We weren't so much worries about her as we were about the people she began having around and the drugs she moved into. Combine that with the neighborhood my work place is in going down and I found myself wanting to carry. I knew that daily carry was a different level of responsibility than just going out in the backyard and firing a few rounds off every now and then so here I am trying to learn as much as I can to keep my family safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Too many valid, competing reasons. Specific threats, general threats, formerly professional reasons, the Constitution, and wildernesses. Lots of valid reasons, and which takes precedence? Whichever applies that day is the most important that day.

You forgot "getting too old to roll around in the dirt anymore".........

User Tag List