Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budgeting for training patrol rifle instructors

DeputyG23,

You are invited to a Green Ops Defensive Carbine I Course. We have several instructors that are or were DCJS certified and have stood up Patrol Rifle Operator Courses for VA LE Agencies. Please PM me for details.

We regularly operate out of Culpeper VA

The FBI offers a free 3-Day patrol rifle instructor school as well.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The FBI offers a free 3-Day patrol rifle instructor school as well.
    FLETC offers a five day rifle program, the Law Enforcement Rifle Training Program (LERTP). They offer it at Charleston but you'll have a much better chance of catching a class at Glynco, GA or Cheltenham, MD. I went through in Glynco and it was pretty decent. If you go to Cheltenham, you will need to pay your own meals and lodging as it is a "commuter" campus only.

State, local and tribal officers requesting training should register online. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, please email stateandlocaltraining@dhs.gov or call us at 1-800-743-5382.
    https://www.fletc.gov/training-progr...aining-program

Site Supporter
    Necro thread back from the dead..
    We have a new Sheriff and I have been tasked with researching updating our long guns in the context of active shooter response.
    Our Office is not a full service LE agency and has primary responsibilities of civil enforcement including court issued protective orders, corrections, prisoner/mental transports, and court security with about 350 total sworn.
    Our long guns consist solely of Remington 870P shotguns. No rifle program was authorized by the previous Sheriff.
    My idea is to send at least four of our current FA instructors to patrol rifle schools offered by various regional academies here in VA and then sending those folks to a dedicated rifle instructor program and then begin training the road folks first, then courts, then corrections staff.
    The rifle marketplace is changing rapidly. Who would be the top manufacturers of "duty grade" M4 style rifles now? Semi-auto only, probably 16" barrel models would be ideal for vehicle/secure container storage at court facilities or jail control rooms.
    I am currently researching:
    FN15 Patrol Carbine;
    Remington R4 Patrol and Enhanced;
    Geissele Super Duty.

Not sure about Colt these days.
    Our PD issues Colt 6920s but I do not see that model on Colt's LE page.

Any comments regarding the above are welcome and PMs are welcome as well.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-21-2020 at 11:21 AM.

I don't know how Virginia does their instructors but in NC you first have to be a "General Instructor" before you can become specialized for things like firearms, PT, etc. NC doesn't offer a "patrol rifle instructor" class as the basics are included in the firearms instructor class...

1) The FBI does offer a patrol rifle instructor class...and its free. It may take some time to calendar it because they're fairly busy. Contact your local office and ask to speak to their lead firearms instructor.

2) The NRA has a patrol rifle instructor class that is a week long. https://le.nra.org/law-enforcement-t...le-instructor/

*I've taken both those classes above and they're both good. Obviously the NRA one costs money, which may be an issue for you and the budget. (?)

3) Don't get all wrapped around the axle looking for Colt and Geissele… go buy an M&P 15 carbine or middy and be done with it. Save all that extra cash for accessories like a two-point sling, metal BUIS, and possibly an optic. I'd personally stay away from Remington...
    Last edited by KeeFus; 01-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Regarding rifles: Colt enhanced patrol rifle or trooper, anything bcm, sionics, or centurion arms. Can’t speak on the geisselle complete rifle as it’s brand new but they usually put out solid stuff.

I would never use a Remington or m&p on duty when there are much better options for not much more money.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post

I would never use a Remington or m&p on duty when there are much better options for not much more money.
    We have 30 M&Ps... and NCSHP has close to 1600 (probably more Im just low balling the number) of them... and other local agencies here have them. They work very well with little issues.

We purchased them on state contract which is way less than MSRP and cheaper than you can buy them over the counter. Honestly, they’re pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    We have 30 M&Ps... and NCSHP has close to 1600 (probably more Im just low balling the number) of them... and other local agencies here have them. They work very well with little issues.

We purchased them on state contract which is way less than MSRP and cheaper than you can buy them over the counter. Honestly, they’re pretty good.
    Sounds like they have gotten better then. When we switched to them the amount of problems we had were not confidence inspiring. Lots of manufacturing defects and reliability problems. This was a few years ago so maybe they are good to go now.

CWM11B
    Since you are in Virginia, see if you can host Phil Singleton at your place. He'll comp you slots if you do. I've taken several of his classes and they are excellent. philsingleton.com

Got to agree with Keefus on the M&P 15. My former agency has a few hundred now, and I was buying them before I left. We ran our evaluation samples pretty hard. I have a TS version I teach with and have run hard with no issues. Additionally I put the agency I reserve for into about a dozen of them. Our SHP has had them for several years as Keefus said with no problems. A lot of agencies here run them, and a good friend of mine has proposed the TS version to be their patrol rifle. They are solid rifles, and I would trust them over a few other well known brands.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Regarding rifles: Colt enhanced patrol rifle or trooper, anything bcm, sionics, or centurion arms. Can’t speak on the Geisselle complete rifle as it’s brand new but they usually put out solid stuff.

Like 870 express vs 870 police magnums don't confuse Remington Defense LE/MIL products with their DPMS/Bushmaster commercial stuff. My agency had some Remington defense select fire R4's and they were great guns.

Same with S&W don't confuse the M&P 15 with the Sport models. In addition to good experience with my sample of one and them holding up when run hard by Pat Rogers a few years back , my local PD (2k officers) has several hundred POW and Agency owned M&P 15's in service without issues. They were the authorized POW rifle until supplanted by the hometown brand (SOLGW) solely because/ local.

Would I rather have a BCM, Colt, SOLGW etc ? Sure, but an actual Remington Defense made R4 etc is adequate.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-21-2020 at 07:36 PM.

User Tag List