Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 380 acp ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I've had good luck with GECO ball. Sellier & Bellot is also a good buy.
    The thing about buying ammo online I'm not familiar with is in regards to the shipping fee? I have 2 walmarts within 15 minutes of my house,and buying through walmart is prob. my best bet in regards to price....but what do I know....because I've never bought ammo online before.

A really good place to buy ammo on-line is SGammo.com.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Buying online is a good way to save money when you buy in bulk, or to get something that you can't find locally.

For now, I would just go get a box or two of every kind they have at WalMart and go shoot. If they are like my WalMart and you get there on the right day, you will be able to get two to four brands of ball, and one to two brands/styles of hollow points. Get some of each kind of ball, and if you're feeling sporty or flush, a box or two of hollow points.

Go shoot all of them, except a magazine or two worth of the ball that is 100% reliable. If all of the ball is 100%, great! When you can afford it, go buy more of that. When you have fired several hundred rounds of ammo through it, then start to look for Hornady XTP. Buy three or more boxes of it. Shoot at least two boxes of it. If it is 100% reliable, then and only then decide if you want to carry them or continue with ball.

This may take time, because putting hundreds of rounds through the LCP is going to cost money. At the end of it, though, you'll know what runs in your gun, know how to run your gun, and hopefully be able to hit any eye ball you want to within five yards of you.

After that, practice regularly - at least once a month. Look at bulk ammo purchases then.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Buying online is a good way to save money when you buy in bulk, or to get something that you can't find locally.

For now, I would just go get a box or two of every kind they have at WalMart and go shoot. If they are like my WalMart and you get there on the right day, you will be able to get two to four brands of ball, and one to two brands/styles of hollow points. Get some of each kind of ball, and if you're feeling sporty or flush, a box or two of hollow points.

Go shoot all of them, except a magazine or two worth of the ball that is 100% reliable. If all of the ball is 100%, great! When you can afford it, go buy more of that. When you have fired several hundred rounds of ammo through it, then start to look for Hornady XTP. Buy three or more boxes of it. Shoot at least two boxes of it. If it is 100% reliable, then and only then decide if you want to carry them or continue with ball.

This may take time, because putting hundreds of rounds through the LCP is going to cost money. At the end of it, though, you'll know what runs in your gun, know how to run your gun, and hopefully be able to hit any eye ball you want to within five yards of you.

After that, practice regularly - at least once a month. Look at bulk ammo purchases then.
    10-4. Thanks!

Duelist, Yes...I wish I had lots of extra money to spend because I would love to have a 22 cal. semi atuo pistol to practice with. I know the 380 acp will be costly regarding regular target practice.

380 acp ammo?

Lawnguy, buying online from a reputable vendor (SG Ammo is superb) allows you to either buy in bulk or purchase a box or two of different .380 loads, without leaving your living room. This way you can buy a box or two of GECO, Prvi Partisan, S&B, etc and this allows you to see which one your individual pistol likes the best. Next time, order ------- amount.

SG is a family owned business located in Oklahoma, and they have been fantastic to deal with. No muss, no fuss, no bs and no drama.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 09-19-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    SG Ammo is my go-to for everything but handgun training ammo. My guns run Federal Aluminum fine and Walmart carries it as cheap as I can find anything online, even when buying bulk.

Is this any good for shooting at the range?
    Magtech .380 ACP 95 Grain FMJ

Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    Is this any good for shooting at the range?
    Magtech .380 ACP 95 Grain FMJ
    I've never shot their .380 loads, but I have shot thousands of their 9x19 FMJ offerings, and have been very pleased with the quality, consistency and accuracy.

If FMJ is all you can find or afford, go with whatever seems to function reliably in your pistol and don't worry any further.

Buy a few different boxes if possible and shoot up all but 6-7 rounds from each box. If your gun shows a preference for one brand/loading over another, then carry that until you can buy more of the same for further testing.

Avoid the expensive "gimmick" ammo such as the G2 R.I.P. and Glaser Safety Slug. In fact, you may want to avoid hollow-points all together in order in ensure reliability and/or adequate penetration. The 90 grain Hornady XTP is probably the best bet in jacketed hollow points and is loaded by several ammo companies since the bullet is available as a reloading component. The Federal Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot are possibly the closest runners-up.

User Tag List