Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 as non-suppressed pistol ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What brace/tube is the one I want?
    It's an SBR - that is the Troy Battle axe stock.

https://troyind.com/products/lightwe...-cqb-stock-tan

There's even a version with a GPS built in: https://troyind.com/products/gps-nav...garmin-gps-tan
    Last edited by HCM; 09-25-2016 at 11:01 PM.

VDM, there's nothing wrong going with a 300 BLK for your intended use. Supersonic loads will give you ballistics similar to the 7.62x39 and we know that cartridge works. Downside compared to 7.62x39 is ammo cost. Upside is the 300 offers a better selection of ammo.

You've seen and shot the Wolf Pup, the shorty I had the summer I was out in your part of the country. It's got a 10.5 inch barrel, is chambered for 5.56 and it's easy to make hits with it out to 200 yards with the Aimpoint. Trajectory is pretty flat out to 200 yards. It does starting to drop off noticeably at 300, but it's still doable and it's still a flatter trajectory than the 300 and the 7.62x39.

For the most part, bullet construction is more important to terminal performance than bullet diameter but bullet construction isn't as critical with a fatter, heavier bullet. What all this means is, it doesn't matter if you choose to go with the 300 BLK or the 5.56. Both will work.

You don't have to suppress a 300 BLK anymore than you do the 7.62x39 the 30-30 or the 30 Carbine. An unsuppressed 300 made to be as short overall as possible will be a good choice.

Or, you could go with the pistol version of the Galil Ace in 7.62x39
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-26-2016 at 03:13 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I also tapped the BKT as covert carry rifle, and have a BCM pistol setup waiting for me in FL. I've been talking to some guys about hog hunting in the Everglades; apparently that Barnes 110 gr bullet works really well on hogs:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-110gr-tac-tx/

I like that the SBR will fit into a pack, and, with a can, is no longer than a 16" AR:

Name:  bkt - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 632
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  bkt - 1.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    VDM, there's nothing wrong going with a 300 BLK for your intended use. Supersonic loads will give you ballistics similar to the 7.62x39 and we know that cartridge works. Downside compared to 7.62x39 is ammo cost. Upside is the 300 offers a better selection of ammo.

You've seen and shot the Wolf Pup, the shorty I had the summer I was out in your part of the country. It's got a 10.5 inch barrel, is chambered for 5.56 and it's easy to make hits with it out to 200 yards with the Aimpoint. Trajectory is pretty flat out to 200 yards. It does starting to drop off noticeably at 300, but it's still doable and it's still a flatter trajectory than the 300 and the 7.62x39.

For the most part, bullet construction is more important to terminal performance than bullet diameter but bullet construction isn't as critical with a fatter, heavier bullet. What all this means is, it doesn't matter if you choose to go with the 300 BLK or the 5.56. Both will work.

You don't have to suppress a 300 BLK anymore than you do the 7.62x39 the 30-30 or the 30 Carbine. An unsuppressed 300 made to be as short overall as possible will be a good choice.

Or, you could go with the pistol version of the Galil Ace in 7.62x39
    I have a 556 pws pdw sbr but I don't want to carry that thing around anymore since its pretty expensive and I'd rather have a 30 cal unsuppressed short pistol.

I wanted 300 blk specifically because it will work well with an 8 inch barrel unsuppressed for my purposes (concealment and superiority in fire power).

At 8 inches the gun won't weigh much and as a pistol I can carry it loaded anywhere in my state.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

At 8 inches the gun won't weigh much and as a pistol I can carry it loaded anywhere in my state.

Any state... that's the big thing for me, any state on a whim without dealing with the proper travel form for an sbr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    MAny states... that's the big thing for me, any state on a whim without dealing with the proper travel form for an sbr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The fiocchi 150 fmj work fine. I handload 110 Speer varminters (really cheap and accurate), 125 Hornady sst for plinking. If you haven't seen the law folding stock adapter, it works pretty well.

125gr Speer tnt with 18gr IMR 4227 shoot almost to the exact poi as 130gr hog hammers out of my 9.5 AAC barrel kit. Grafs usually has a 500ct pack on sale for $89.00, regular price is $99.00 iirc.

That is my standard plinking load for my 300blk.

At 300 yards with my 1-4x nightforce torso shots with holdover are no problem. Ringing steel with a short barreled/suppressed upper is fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I wanted 300 blk specifically because it will work well with an 8 inch barrel unsuppressed for my purposes (concealment and superiority in fire power)
    You've answered your question. It's generally accepted that the 300 BLK works better than the 5.56 when the barrel is shorter than 10 inches. I've been looking into the Galil Ace with a brace because it's 7.62x39

But it does cost more than an AR.

SB has been very busy coming out with new brace designs. One of the newest is a PDW style developed with Maxim. Unfortunately, I can't find much more information on it than that. https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sb-...race-nra-2016/

SB has come out with sleeker versions since the release of the original. I replaced the original with the Galil brace which was intended for AKs. I had to wrap the RE in gaffer's tape to get it to fit tightly, but it's worked very well since

Here's the Wolf Pup in it's current configuration

I've also shot it with a 16 inch upper installed and it works well as a stock. Configured as a rifle, LOP is a little short but I also have long arms. I'm contemplating switching to an A5 RE. I've put many rounds through the AR shorty and have been well pleased with the performance of the SB Galil Arm Brace. It's not only sleeker than the original, but 4 ounces lighter. I can highly recommend it. The only reservation is that I needed gaffer's tape to make it fit tightly.

If you want to see what SB Tactical offers, this is their website https://www.sb-tactical.com/
    Atlantic Firearms also carries SB braces http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

I've yet to try the Blade but it's thin. If one were to run it as a stock using a 16 inch upper, I think the way it would concentrate recoil, it might get uncomfortable after awhile
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-26-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I will join the post bandwagon too. I recently picked up an 8" .300 upper for many of the same reasons listed. The biggest is the ability to treat it as a pistol and have it loaded in a vehicle as well as travel state to state without restrictions. I travel a lot. Im currently running it with a simple Thordsen device along with a saddle. I have an original Sig Brace, but find it a bit bulky. Its certainly a handloaders game and Ive been experimenting with 110gr thru 175gr. Currently Im concentrating on using 1680 as a powder.

You just cant beat the portability of it. And unlike the 5.56, you can go sub 10" on the barrel and still have something effective out to 150yds or so. The only downside is that its still more of a "boutique round" and your not going to find ammo at your local rural hardware store. In its niche however, it is pretty solid.

User Tag List