Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 as non-suppressed pistol ?

I also jumped on the bandwagon a few weeks ago. The SBR is wearing a factory .300 Aero 8" upper and an SDN-6. The bottom rifle is a Noveske factory 16" .300 upper. I set the 8" up for my 8yo to shoot his first whitetail and he's good out to 50 yards with the Aimpoint and Barnes 110s (unsuppressed, gun is too heavy for him with suppressor). The gun/sight combo is good to 100 with this load and the Hornady Vmax 110.

Name:  .300.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  64.3 KB
    Last edited by vaspence; 09-26-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I will join the post bandwagon too. I recently picked up an 8" .300 upper for many of the same reasons listed. The biggest is the ability to treat it as a pistol and have it loaded in a vehicle as well as travel state to state without restrictions. I travel a lot. Im currently running it with a simple Thordsen device along with a saddle. I have an original Sig Brace, but find it a bit bulky. Its certainly a handloaders game and Ive been experimenting with 110gr thru 175gr. Currently Im concentrating on using 1680 as a powder.

You just cant beat the portability of it. And unlike the 5.56, you can go sub 10" on the barrel and still have something effective out to 150yds or so. The only downside is that its still more of a "boutique round" and your not going to find ammo at your local rural hardware store. In its niche however, it is pretty solid.
    Walmart carries 300blackout ammo, at least in my location.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Walmart carries 300blackout ammo, at least in my location.

To add to what JM said. It's everywhere here. Plus I have found a source for projectiles that I can now load for the same price I was loading my 55 gr 5.56mm. I hope that it continues to be this affordable. I have essentially gone to nothing but 300blk and 308.

My apologies for just posting pics and not addressing the post.

I like the gun unsuppressed, not to loud or blasty and will probably hunt with it a bit myself this season to see how it is. That said, it just calls to be suppressed and the super stuff through the can is nice. I haven't shot more than a few subs through it just to listen but have some 208 Amax bullets I'm going to try. I'm very interested in how the gun sounds suppressed to others 500+ yards away for varmint hunting at night near farmhouses.

Ammunition wise I'm going to run the 110 Barnes Tac Tx through both AR 300s this season. That will remain the business load for both rifles. My cousins have killed multiple decent mountain bucks with the 110 Vmax for a couple of years inside 100 yards with no trouble so I'll probably try them on a deer also. Ideally I'll reload a sub and plinking load that will be good enough for practice.
    Last edited by vaspence; 09-26-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I agree with the blast. I feel my 11.5" 5.56 has a much sharper blast/crack to it compared to the .300 which has an 8" barrel and plain jane A2 up front. I'm going to pick up a box of the 110gr Barnes to load as well. It seems to be a very good projectile for the supers. I have a good supply of 175smk blems and also a large numer of 165gr flat base soft points that I'm hoping to utilize for practice use. Ive still yet to nail a load down with either. Hopefully within the next week or two. My next decision is whether this upper is worthy of optics beyond the Aimpoint that curtently sits on top. Part of me says "no", but the old fart eyes part of me screams for a 1x6 of some kind. Whether or not this takes away from the utility of it all remains to be seen. Ive tossed a 10x on it for load development however. I havent been this keyed up about a new tool in quite a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I agree with the blast. I feel my 11.5" 5.56 has a much sharper blast/crack to it compared to the .300 which has an 8" barrel and plain jane A2 up front. I'm going to pick up a box of the 110gr Barnes to load as well. It seems to be a very good projectile for the supers. I have a good supply of 175smk blems and also a large numer of 165gr flat base soft points that I'm hoping to utilize for practice use. Ive still yet to nail a load down with either. Hopefully within the next week or two. My next decision is whether this upper is worthy of optics beyond the Aimpoint that curtently sits on top. Part of me says "no", but the old fart eyes part of me screams for a 1x6 of some kind. Whether or not this takes away from the utility of it all remains to be seen. Ive tossed a 10x on it for load development however. I havent been this keyed up about a new tool in quite a while though.
    Nightforce 1-4x with the fc2 recticle works great for 300blk.

AKA: SkyLine1

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Spent the day at the bench loading an assortment of 175gr SMKs, the 165gr CorLokt soft points, and some 110gr V-Max. I used 1680 for the heavier ones and both 2400 and H110 for the V-Max. Loaded the SMKs per Sierra's formula and the 165s beginning at 2.200" down in increments to 2.08" which is where the cannulure comes into play. I used Nosler's data for the V-Max loadings. Hopefully get out next week or so to see how they shoot.

Toyed with the upper a bit after dinner. The 11.5" .5.56 has BUIS, a red dot, and a TLR-1 on the side. I tried some different configurations and lights but that seems about right for the 8" .300 as well. I need to shoot it more to see. The plan is to put a 10x on it for load work (yea...it looks goofy) then decide whether its worth a magnified optic or stick with the Aimpoint.

The whole thing (either upper) fits nicely in a soft sided canvas violin case which just gives me the giggles.

While I would normally advocate a variable magnified optic for any gun that may be used on people for a 300 the purpose is generally 100 and in, really focusing on the 50y and in range. At that range anyone should be able to PID even with an RDS.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you're going to forgo the suppressor for the moment, look into a linear compensator like the Kaw Valley or BRT. My 10" .300 pistol was extremely pleasant to shoot with that installed. Not ear safe by any means, but it makes a big difference to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    If you're going to forgo the suppressor for the moment, look into a linear compensator like the Kaw Valley or BRT. My 10" .300 pistol was extremely pleasant to shoot with that installed. Not ear safe by any means, but it makes a big difference to the shooter.
    prolly a gemtech muzzle device...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List