Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for IT Folks: Work Email On Phone

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Question for IT Folks: Work Email On Phone

I recently procured a new phone, a Huawei Honor 8 (It has eight processing cores. How many cores does your phone have? Jack shit probably.) It is an Android device, although Huawei has put their own aesthetics into it.

My question: I'm trying to setup the phone so I can read my work e-mail, and I work for a large university. When I have tried to setup my e-mail, I get a notice that the mail server needs to have control over security settings. Things like the ability to remotely wipe the device with no warning, lock screen settings, and a number of others.

I absolutely understand why the university would insist on these features, but there is no fucking way I'm giving our IT department control over my phone. They've asserted control over all other university devices, and fucked it up royally (yeah, encrypting the entire hard drive is great idea, except of course when you want to access any of that data on the device, but hey, they have to ensure security and not usability right? )

I've setup other devices in the past, including a Nexus 7 tablet just recently, that can access my work e-mail without the security caveats. Without suggesting something illegal, how can I get my work e-mail on the phone without resorting to visiting the university website, and accessing it via HTTP? I've tried to set this up via the Gmail app, but it wants the security settings. The Huawei-skinned Gmail app doesn't work at all.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I have worked for a large university, and there was a browser based path to access email that did not involve installing software or relinquishing control of your device. It wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty but it worked.

By setup you mean via a pop3 login? You can add a non Gmail email account to your Gmail program:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6078445?hl=en

If you want to use MSFT outlook, you can download the outlook app in the play store. Though it's hit/miss sometimes depending on update etc...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    By setup you mean via a pop3 login? You can add a non Gmail email account to your Gmail program:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6078445?hl=en

If you want to use MSFT outlook, you can download the outlook app in the play store. Though it's hit/miss sometimes depending on update etc...
    Pretty sure it's IMAP. At any rate, there's a pre-existing option for "Exchange", which is what I select. Maybe if I bypass that option, it'll work.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Pretty sure it's IMAP. At any rate, there's a pre-existing option for "Exchange", which is what I select. Maybe if I bypass that option, it'll work.
    Yeah, same difference.

Try it and see.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    You might want to check out the K-9 mail client. Several of us at work have used it for years and really like it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...O3ZYqHkizsBgcQ

Site Supporter
    Auto-Forward your email to a Gmail account.
    Spoof your work address when sending via that account from your phone.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It has eight processing cores. How many cores does your phone have? Jack shit probably.
    Wow, I now have feelings of inadequacy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Speaking as an IT guy, I hope your IT department is sound and has blocked imap and pop and can detect if you are journaling your email to a foreign account. I work for a bank and most of what your trying to accomplish would be grounds for dismissal. Depending on the mobile device management platform, you may be able to work with IT to containerize your work email so the business owned data is in a secure container they can wipe without wiping the rest of the phone. Co-mingling personal devices is a pain and many have lost personal photos and settings when they forget their password and try to brute force the phone. I sympathize with you, but do things the right way and above board.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My personal opinion: if work wants me to have mobile email, they can pay for it.

User Tag List