Thread: Swarovski Z6i 1-6 vs. Z8i 1-8

Swarovski Z6i 1-6 vs. Z8i 1-8

I noticed some weeks ago that Swarovski has released a LPV in a 1-8 format. I’ll start by saying that I have been using their Z6i 1-6 for at least 5 years now. I love the true 1x, the true daylight brightness of the dot, the light weight, robustness (I don’t baby my gear), and the BRT reticle (though I wish it continued further downward). The FOV is indescribably amazing, and the glass is crazy clear. I have had more than one person look through it during a match or class and make a comment like, “so THAT is what all the fuss is about!”

I liked the Z6i on my 5.56 Recce(ish) build so much I got another for my .308 gas gun. I used it with great success in a F2S class that ran from contact to 600 yards. We did shoot at 1,000 yards just to say we did it, and that’s why I wish the reticle extended further. I had no hold references other than the vertical post.

My question is basically if the Z8i 1-8 offers enough to warrant me snagging one to replace Z6i on my .308. From looking at Swarovski’s site, the BRT reticle appears exactly the same. They do allow you to swap to the donut reticle, but IME that is hardly necessary because their illuminated dot is brighter than any 2 of my Aimpoints combined. With the reticle still not working beyond 600 yards, I don’t know that the extra 2x magnification is going to make it worth the trouble of swapping scopes.

I’ve copied the tech data from their site. The Z8 has a little better light transmission, but it’s a little longer and heavier. My gut tells me it’s not worth trading up, but I am far from an expert on such things. So if there is something I should consider and haven’t, I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

Z6i: http://www.swarovskioptik.com/huntin...l-brt-p5006364

Technical Data

Magnification 1-6x
    Effective objective lens diameter (mm) 9.6-24
    Exit pupil diameter (mm) 9.6-4.0
    Exit pupil distance (mm) (Eye relief) 95
    Field of view (ft/100 yds / m/100 m) 127.5-20.4 / 42.5-6.8
    Field of view (degrees) 23.8-3.9
    Field of view, apparent (degrees) 23.4
    Dioptric compensation (dpt) -3 to +2
    Light transmission (%) 90
    Twilight factor acc. to ISO 14132-1 2.8-12
    Impact point corr. per click (in/100 yds / mm/100 m) 0.54 / 15
    Max. elevation / windage adjustment range (in/100 yds / m/100 m) 72 / 2
    Objective filter thread M 27x0.75

Technical Data

Length (in / mm) 11.54 / 293
    Weight (oz / g) 14.8 / 420
    Central tube diameter (in / mm) 1.18 / 30
    Functional temperature -4 °F to +131 °F (-20 °C / +55 °C)
    Storage temperature -22 °F to +158 °F (-30 °C / +70 °C)
    Submersion tightness 13 ft / 4 m water depth (inert gas filling)

Z8i 1-8: http://www.swarovskioptik.com/huntin...BRT-I-p5265639

Technical Data

Magnification 1-8x
    Effective objective lens diameter (mm) 8.2-24
    Exit pupil diameter (mm) 8.1-3.0
    Exit pupil distance (mm) (Eye relief) 95
    Field of view (ft/100 yds / m/100 m) 127.5-15.9 / 42.5-5.3
    Field of view (degrees) 24.0-3.0
    Field of view, apparent (degrees) 24
    Dioptric compensation (dpt) -3 to +2
    Light transmission (%) 93
    Twilight factor acc. to ISO 14132-1 2.9-13.9
    Impact point corr. per click (in/100 yds / mm/100 m) 0.36 / 10
    Max. elevation / windage adjustment range (in/100 yds / m/100 m) 72 / 2
    Objective filter thread M 27x0.75

Technical Data

Length (in / mm) 11.9 / 301
    Weight (oz / g) 18.2 / 515
    Central tube diameter (in / mm) 1.18 / 30
    Functional temperature -4 °F to +131 °F (-20 °C / +55 °C)
    Storage temperature -22 °F to +158 °F (-30 °C / +70 °C)
    Submersion tightness 13 ft / 4 m water depth (inert gas filling)

Illumination unit

Brightness levels Twilight: 0 - 32 / Day: 33 - 64
    Operating time (h) Twilight factor at medium brightness: 1,400; daylight factor at medium brightness: 180

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    When we finally get our hands on one I'll let you know! And for those that do not know, we are a Swarovski and Kahles dealer so call us at 916.670.1103 for P-F Member price quotes.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Theres a lot to like about the Z6I and Z8I but i ordered a CQBSS this week due to the Horus reticle being available. None of the Swarovski reticles fit what i wanted from the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    When we finally get our hands on one I'll let you know! And for those that do not know, we are a Swarovski and Kahles dealer so call us at 916.670.1103 for P-F Member price quotes.
    Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Theres a lot to like about the Z6I and Z8I but i ordered a CQBSS this week due to the Horus reticle being available. None of the Swarovski reticles fit what i wanted from the optic.
    Thanks but the only LPV that could lure me away from the Swarovski would be the Razor HD (Kahles doesn't count since it's basically the same as the Swaro). And the CQBSS is $1,000 more than the Z6/8 ($2,000 more than the Razor HD). More importantly it's a 1.1 so it wouldn't make the cut for me. I shoot up close way more than at distance. If it's not a true 1x I won't even consider it.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-16-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Thanks but the only LPV that could lure me away from the Swarovski would be the Razor HD (Kahles doesn't count since it's basically the same as the Swaro). And the CQBSS is $1,000 more than the Z6/8 ($2,000 more than the Razor HD). More importantly it's a 1.1 so it wouldn't make the cut for me. I shoot up close way more than at distance. If it's not a true 1x I won't even consider it.
    I think the Razor HD is too heavy for what it offers; your primary consideration does not seem to be price, so I'd think weight alone would eliminate it from consideration. I have the Swaro (BRT) and Kahles 1-6 scopes; agreed that the glass quality is equivalent. I guess the question is, how often do you plan on shooting past 600 with this setup? Personally, I still subscribe to Cooper's assertion that you need 1X/100yards, so a 1000 yard scope should be at least 10X. At any rate, I'm not sure how 8X with a 600 yard reticle helps you out if you are comfortable with 6X at 600. I will say that the Kahles K16i has become my favorite LPV for a number of reasons, one of which is the SM1 reticle. I currently have mine zeroed at 150 per the Western Shooter guy, and you can see there is a lot of room available for longer distance shooting. This illustration is for .223, but it is a mil-based reticle, so you can easily figure your drops for other calibers:

Name:  K16i-1-6-SM1-Reticle-Ballistics.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  27.8 KB
    Last edited by SteveB; 09-17-2016 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I think the Razor HD is too heavy for what it offers; your primary consideration does not seem to be price, so I'd think weight alone would eliminate it from consideration. I have the Swaro (BRT) and Kahles 1-6 scopes; agreed that the glass quality is equivalent. I guess the question is, how often do you plan on shooting past 600 with this setup? Personally, I still subscribe to Cooper's assertion that you need 1X/100yards, so a 1000 yard scope should be at least 10X. At any rate, I'm not sure how 8X with a 600 yard reticle helps you out if you are comfortable with 6X at 600. I will say that the Kahles K16i has become my favorite LPV for a number of reasons, one of which is the SM1 reticle. I currently have mine zeroed at 150 per the Western Shooter guy, and you can see there is a lot of room available for longer distance shooting. This illustration is for .223, but it is a mil-based reticle, so you can easily figure your drops for other calibers:

Name:  K16i-1-6-SM1-Reticle-Ballistics.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  27.8 KB
    Hmm. Didn't realize the Kahles had a reticle like that. Realistically I'll rarely shoot past 200 just because if range limitations. Since Kahles appears to be a sister company to Swaro, I wonder if they will come out with a 1-8? I am very happy with my 1-6... I just saw there is a Z8i now and started wondering if there was anything there to make it worth trading up.

The Razor is heavier but I've handled one on a 5.56 rifle and it didn't feel unwieldy. And I'm not planning to go that route. I just don't see many other optics with true 1x and daytime bright dots. The problem with high end scopes like the Swaro and Kahles is finding one to fondle before buying. I bought my first Z6i on faith and other people's reviews.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Mike Cecil in the video below just sold his and replaced it with a Minox 1-8 which he feels is superior overall.

The decision between the Swaro and Kahles 1-6 mainly comes down to reticle selection as they are the best LPV's out there currently. Swarovski owns Kahles and is taking full control of their marketing next year. When looking for these brands, it's in your best interest to go through us since we allow customers to check their scopes out without mounting them and if it doesn't work for them to send it back to us for a different scope.
    Call for quotes and mention that you're a member of this forum.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

I've been checking out the fantastic Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 - BRT-I and I'm impressed with it overall! I wish I had a Kahles or Swaro 1-6 to compare it to side by side but my impressions are favorable for it being a 1-8 at 1x and it's daytime bright with a good reticle for holdovers. Call me at 916.670.1103 to grab this one at P-F member pricing.

CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List