Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "When" do you pick up the Front Sight?

"When do you pick up the Front Sight?"

The first part of my daily dry-fire practice is for close threats. I stand five feet from a large mirror and "shoot my face" as quickly as possible. In the beginning this was done by looking over the top of the slide. Eventually it segued into looking through the notch in the rear sight. The front sight was nearly always there in the the notch somewhere, and my (perceived) accuracy improved. Or at least I thought so.

The second dry-fire stage is at an effective 33 yards (1/3rd scale target at 11 yards). I stare at where I hope the round will land and begin my presentation. As the pistol approaches full extension and I can start to see the front sight come into focus, I drop my trigger finger from the side of the frame to the trigger and do a quick controlled press. The intent is for my finger to begin trigger-press just as the focused front sight aligns on the target. Rule 3, and all.

All that said, and with no disrespect to the other participants in this thread, I've read Mr_White's contributions (above) and will adjust my practice to accommodate his teachings. Can't do otherwise. I've seen his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    "When do you pick up the Front Sight?"

The first part of my daily dry-fire practice is for close threats. I stand five feet from a large mirror and "shoot my face" as quickly as possible. In the beginning this was done by looking over the top of the slide. Eventually it segued into looking through the notch in the rear sight. The front sight was nearly always there in the the notch somewhere, and my (perceived) accuracy improved. Or at least I thought so.

The second dry-fire stage is at an effective 33 yards (1/3rd scale target at 11 yards). I stare at where I hope the round will land and begin my presentation. As the pistol approaches full extension and I can start to see the front sight come into focus, I drop my trigger finger from the side of the frame to the trigger and do a quick controlled press. The intent is for my finger to begin trigger-press just as the focused front sight aligns on the target. Rule 3, and all.

All that said, and with no disrespect to the other participants in this thread, I've read Mr_White's contributions (above) and will adjust my practice to accommodate his teachings. Can't do otherwise. I've seen his videos.
    I appreciate the kind words, I really do, but don't feel like you have to do what I do. Of course I think my ways have value, but there are lots of better shooters than I around, and a lot of good ways to do the right thing. And lots and lots of bad ways to do things too, so stay away from those. But my way is not the only good way.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List