Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics for couples?

Tactics for couples?

New to the forum....
    Lurking for some time here and enjoying the wealth of knowledge available.

On a walk with the wife tonight made a realization. She just started carrying and we have gone over a lot of tactical things and proper gun safety She has been sport shooting (plinking) for some time, so is familiar with basics of handling her gun etc.

Prior to her carrying, our strategy, right or wrong, on an evening walk or in a parking lot with me carrying was this.

If I were to engage, unholster due to being threatened or ambushed, her response would be to turn and run, slightly diagonally away from the action to get herself clear. Tonight as we were walking along she asked how that had changed now that she is armed?

Hmmmm hadn't really thought how that changes the dynamic of a situation. My first instinct and response was for her to still run away at a slight diagonal.... My thought there was it tended to get her some distance, running slightly to the side rather than straight behind might make her safer if the bad guy also had a gun, and finally may distract him for a second or two.

My main goal is obviously to keep her out of the fight...

With her being armed I amended her role to include getting her weapon ready as she ran if possible.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on whether I am on the right track here? We are both going to get some pro training as schedule and $$ permit, but in the meantime I'd like to have a safe plan. Thanks in advance for your comments, flames or corrections!
    Last edited by PF Flyer; 09-15-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Getting your wife armed and trained is most as despite what our egos tell us we simply cannot be around 100% of the time.

As for whether your wife should join the fight or flee - the situation will dictate this as will her temperament and abilities. Many criminals would not consider a woman being armed or consider her a threat. Again given the skills and temperament this could be an opportunity to use surprise to y'alls advantage.

Thunder ranch has a two person team tactics course which is often attended by couples / family members.

https://www.thunderranchinc.com/defe...am-tactics-tt/
    Last edited by HCM; 09-15-2016 at 11:24 PM.

If you want thoughtful, sober answers, I suggest you wait with this thread until the PFestivus ends.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator

Tactics for couples?

It's very important to the tactical dynamic of any situation to scan, analyze, and determine active countermeasures to any OPFOR. Therefore it's critical to assess any systemic vulnerabilities and strike with extreme precision until you are Operator Status Green. You also haven't considered covert (stealth) attacks, multiple assailants, robots, karate, or blowguns.

Welcome to the forum, man. Batten the hatches.

Edit: I feel mean now. Couples carrying is an awesome thing. Reputable training ASAP and lots of practice. Try to get out of the "Tactical" mindset - I was very guilty of that for years - and just think about things in simple and practical terms. I promise from personal experience that you'll be a better shooter for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 09-16-2016 at 01:02 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    It's very important to the tactical dynamic of any situation to scan, analyze, and determine active countermeasures to any OPFOR. Therefore it's critical to assess any systemic vulnerabilities and strike with extreme precision until you are Operator Status Green. You also haven't considered covert (stealth) attacks, multiple assailants, robots, karate, or blowguns.

Welcome to the forum, man. Batten the hatches.

Edit: I feel mean now. Couples carrying is an awesome thing. Reputable training ASAP and lots of practice. Try to get out of the "Tactical" mindset - I was very guilty of that for years - and just think about things in simple and practical terms. I promise from personal experience that you'll be a better shooter for it.

Not to derail this so soon, but I think you have a misunderstanding of what a "tactical" mindset is. Maybe confusing it with the GWOT / Operator culture?

"Tactical" mindset is a good thing and can be simple, often as simple as dividing responsibilities to make the best use of your resources. The use of contact / cover would be an example of simple and very flexible tactics with broad application. It can also be as simple as paying attention to your environment and think about how you could use it to your advantage and conversely, how an opponent could use it against you. .

Random thought - fictional "non-operator" character who had good tactics- Omar from HBO's The Wire. Yeah, he's a criminal but give the devil his due, he makes good use of his environment and partners.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-16-2016 at 01:51 AM.

It really depends on exactly what you want to do in terms of a force encounter. With two people you can get really deep into the rabbit hole, two person cqb tactics, two person take down (high low), L shape tactics, dual awareness tactics, active response tactics.

All this stuff has be worked out in writing/verbally then trained then tested.

My suggestion is to find an instructor who is qualified to teach this type of stuff and get a private lesson.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not to derail this so soon, but I think you have a misunderstanding of what a "tactical" mindset is. Maybe confusing it with the GWOT / Operator culture?

"Tactical" mindset is a good thing and can be simple, often as simple as dividing responsibilities to make the best use of your resources. The use of contact / cover would be an example of simple and very flexible tactics with broad application. It can also be as simple as paying attention to your environment and think about how you could use it to your advantage and conversely, how an opponent could use it against you. .

Random thought - fictional "non-operator" character who had good tactics- Omar from HBO's The Wire. Yeah, he's a criminal but give the devil his due, he makes good use of his environment and partners.
    I was tired and grumpy and absolutely confused a tactical mindset with the "Operator" culture. Hence my bashful edit. My mistake.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

While I'm sure there are many instructors with a similar cirriculum, I would say that Thunder Ranch has been doing this for a long time. I took 'team tactics' in 2000 and it was very good. They're hard to schedule and blindingly expensive, but this particular subject is probably worth the effort. Buy a couple of Clint's videos at https://www.thunderranchinc.com/prod.../training-dvd/ and see what you think. They're doing Home and Vehicle Defense in May with the trauma block and team tactics in June.

My wife and I took Team Tactics at TR when it was in TX. Good course.

For the OP, how about this for a start -- both carry handguns of a service pistol caliber, in appropriate holsters, be skilled in shooting and handling these firearms, be alert. After you check those boxes you can increase skills from there.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you're in the NOVA area I know John Murphy at FPF Training has a couples course as well. I haven't taken it so can't vet that specific class like others here have for the TR class, but John's a great instructor and the other stuff I've seen from him has been great. Hopefully some others on the forum can speak to the specific class in greater detail.

User Tag List