Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platform

Platform

What does the word "platform" mean to you when referring to firearms? What makes something a "platform"? What are the characteristics of a "platform"? Are some firearms "platforms" and others not? Is it simply interchangeable lingo for a firearm? Or is there a defining characteristic that makes a firearm a "platform"?

Banned
    If I had to take a stab at this one, I'd say it's a common receiver that will accept different configurations of calibers, barrels, etc without excessive modification.

Examples would be an AR-15, the Glock, and so on.

However, this is one of those "tacticool" terms that I refuse to use. I also refuse to say "running," as in, "I'm running this trigger, I'm running that optic, I'm running this sling, I'm running these boots..." and so on. Oh yeah, and "weapon(s) system." I won't say that either. Basically if they say it more than 25 times on a Magpul instructional DVD I remove it from my vocabulary in anticipation of hearing it ad nauseum on the range.

I think it is similar to a weapons system.

Full disclosure: I'm inclined to make fun of this term, but instead of simply writing it off I'm going to make an honest attempt to see if I'm the one that needs the attitude adjustment. So I'm open to convincing.

I can make the case that the AR-15 family, the SCAR, the ACR, etc. can be platforms. Certain models of Glock can be platforms insomuch as (in theory) you can change barrels and magazines and shoot different calibers on the same frame.

I do not consider the AK-47 family a platform, nor do I consider the 1911 pistol family a platform.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 03-01-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Platform in my mind is a base that supports other things. The connotation of the word is modularity and adaptability.

I agree with beltjones. I won't use it either.

I tend to use the term when talking about weapons in comparative terms, where weapons of the same general category are different enough that they put different demands on me. Such as, they are different platforms, better suited to build different parts of my skillset on.
    You're right, Jay, though; the term is meaningless enough to deserve to be made fun of.

Both words/phrases seem to be something that everyone knows so they just get used, but I also think it is something that people will use to try to sound like they know something. In other hobbies (where people still take themselves too seriously) there are also similar words/phrases that people pick up on and run with.

I also believe there can be some salesmanship going along with the buzzwords and phrases.

Everywhere a platform

I tend to think of a platform as a absolutely stripped down version of anything that has acceptable function but could be markedly improved by adding things. Platforms get you into the market so people can sell you expensive stuff to put on the platform.

Unfortunately, this term is overused in many fields and, perhaps, should be nominated for exclusion from the vocabulary.

I work in the medical field and it's incredibly burdensome to hear it day-after-day. And, they use the term "running" too. Examples:

"What imaging platform are you running?"

"What endoscopy platform are you running?"

"What fixation platform are you running?"

Makes me want to start running for a platform to jump off of.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    Basically if they say it more than 25 times on a Magpul instructional DVD I remove it from my vocabulary in anticipation of hearing it ad nauseum on the range.
    So you don't, "Set yourself up for success."?

We are diminished
    While I don't think I use the term often, to be honest it's not on my radar. I know what it means and understand others when they use it. It's not in the "tacticool" lexicon for me. Weapons platform, weapons family... heck, I say "1911-pattern pistol" all the time. Same same.

User Tag List