Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want my first non-striker: P30 LEM or CZ P-07?

Want my first non-striker: P30 LEM or CZ P-07?

I want a new 9mm, and I want to get something more comfortable for my odd hands than Glock (I have normal/large palms with short, stubby fingers, and a toe-thumb). I have (and have had) tons of Glocks, but really hate the feel of the grip. It's become way more noticeable now that I've spent a few months away from the 19 (with a P320 and 43/42s).

The P320 "small" size grip modules feel wonderful, but that's another striker. I owned one and I loved it, but wanted to try out a SA/DA (or LEM) because (a) it's different, (b) it will allow me to dry-fire without the hassle of re-cocking the striker, and (c) I have a perhaps incorrect intuition that getting "good" on a longer (LEM) or DA/SA trigger will also only improve my striker trigger-pull (for all I really know it could make me worse).

Which should I get?

My rationale:

P30 LEM (maybe L) --
    FO:
    the LEM trigger pull has many fans. ToddG seemed to really like this platform, and his opinion means a lot to me. The L looks more proportional and would be the longest sight radius in my stable (3xG19s, G43, G42, MP22C); however, I do read that many (like ToddG) believe the extra length just slows down transitions and the recoil arc is longer, etc. Grip with medium feels okay, so with small panels should feel much, much better than Glock (maybe as good as the P320 with "small" module).
    NO FO:
    HK P30 seem very rare....none of the trainers and go-fast guys I've shot with--or even know--carry one. They all carry G19s, with a few CZs (Pannone), and one P320 or M&P (Lamb). It could be a combination of the longer trigger, thicker slide, and price--or maybe trainers just use what they know 90% of their clients carry. Expensive. Long grip may be harder to conceal (wont carry that often unless I fall in love with it).

CZ P-07 --
    FO:
    Gets mostly great reviews. Grip is fairly comfortable, so small backstrap should make it feel a little better than Glock. Pannone loves his a lot. Has a ton of Cajun and Custom parts for me to buy and install and fiddle with which is always fun (though the Glocks also have that and I have tons of Glocks). Very affordable, though may cost as much as a P30 if I Cajunize it.
    NO FO:
    Heard and read a few horror stories of issues. Seems like it has a really thick slide (harder to carry if I love it). Grip isn't much different from Glock so I don't know how much better it will feel with small backstrap.

Both are very solid choices, and would serve your needs well. If you're looking to transition to just one or the other exclusively for training and carry, I've always advocated that having a spare handgun is a must. In this vein, the P07 wins out due to simple economics. I have a P09, and feel that David Milam's mods (of CGW) are worth their weight in gold. However, the P30 is certainly worth examining, and if you can save up to buy two, I'd suggest doing that.

Holsters and ancillary support gear for both are readily available from several manufacturers here on this forum.

With a LEM, you still need to work the slide between presses, to get a LEM pull trigger.

This is pretty easy. If your focus is face shooting, and you are not timer centric, get an HK. If you are impressed by fast times, get the P07. An HK trigger will never be as good as a tuned P07. A CZ will never be as vetted an an HK.

If HK, a P2000 is an easier carry size, and a USP/USP Compact will have a better trigger than a P series.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With a LEM, you still need to work the slide between presses, to get a LEM pull trigger.

This is pretty easy. If your focus is face shooting, and you are not timer centric, get an HK. If you are impressed by fast times, get the P07. An HK trigger will never be as good as a tuned P07. A CZ will never be as vetted an an HK.

If HK, a P2000 is an easier carry size, and a USP/USP Compact will have a better trigger than a P series.
    Lots of wisdom in this post.

Vending Machine Operator
    An HK trigger will never be as good as a tuned P07. A CZ will never be as vetted an an HK.
    Nice and succinct!
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 09-14-2016 at 05:27 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Couldn't agree more with any of this. I'll only add that when I tried to make the break from a LONG TIME with the GLOCK, I could never get over the fact that I couldn't shoot as fast with my P30/P2000 (both 9mm LEMs). Striker triggers are just SO much easier to run at speed. If you're a timer freak like me, you need to put that thing away and just get to love the accuracy, reliability and smooth operation of the HKs.

If you want something different, and you still want to run fast go with the CZ, but be prepared to have a special snowflake pistol with very little options WRT sights, etc, and a pistol that may or may not be as reliable as your GLOCKs.

Tough call.

If you want to break from striker guns, besides shooting reasons - for carry reasons (read you are thinking of, or already are going AIWB), I lean towards the TDA gun (so CZ07 or a V1 P30).

If you're wanting the challenge of a different trigger and getting good with it. LEM V2 (not the most popular, that's V4 or 4.1), which has a heavier pull, would be a challenge to shoot well. LEM V2 is closer to a DA-revolver. At least in terms of stroke length and reset length. I think mastering a DAO-type trigger (be it DAO in a revolver or LEM), is a tough challenge for many shooters, particularly those who have done a lot or exclusively striker-fired gun work. I've had good gains working exclusively DA guns and transitioning back to lighter Striker or SA guns. Others who have done the same seem to support that with their results.

Well, thanks all. I guess it just shows I'll probably be okay getting either.

I do wonder what is meant by "If your focus is face shooting, and you are not timer centric, get an HK."

I mean, I AM a person who tries to shoot fast on a timer, BUT I always try to make sure I make the shot--accuracy is more important to me than speed. My hope is that the speed will come by trying to slowly push my limits. Right now, I do a lot at 5-7Y....at the beep, I draw and put 2 in the index card in the head, then 4 in the chest. It's like a FAST drill without the reload, because I don't plan on reloading during a shooting (though I do practice them too sometimes).
    I start off slow, but make sure that I do my best not to miss even if I have to slow down.

I think I've gotten too picky about triggers. At first, I just was happy to eliminate overtravel--it seemed to help my accuracy for follow-up shots. Then I discovered a 3.75# trigger ALSO seemed to help me shoot better.
    Last edited by evi1joe; 09-14-2016 at 09:40 PM.

I think both are a good exercise in becoming an overall better shooter.

I actually have a CZ P 07 on the way. Some of the comments in this thread have me a little concerned now, are they less than reliable? After reading about Pannone's experience I figured the P 09/P 07 were good to go.

I have a P09 and a P07. If you dry fire a lot, you will break trigger return springs. Sample size of two, but zero malfunctions other than said springs over 4.5ish thousands rounds. Mags are not cheap, but they seem to be high quality.

User Tag List