Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire X300 Ultra A vs. B

Reviewer of the Tools

Surefire X300 Ultra A vs. B

Anyone on here have any experience with the new X300U-B models over the older X300/X300U-A models?

Looking for feedback on how the new mounting system and switches work with a duty holster. I need to pick up another light and am debating going with the new version or sticking with the A version and saving a few bucks.

My off duty/road job holsters from JMCK were molded to work with either version of the light so new support gear is a non issue.

I use the X300U-A on my issued M&P9, and have done so since they were introduced. I recently obtained departmentally owned Patrol Rifles and issued them to my Canine officers. The new Patrol Rifles came with a Surefire X300U-B for a weapon light. (The guns were spec'ed out by my counter part at the Firearms Training Unit).

I obviously was curious so I pulled the new Surefire off of one of the rifles to look at. I haven't shot a pistol with the new light, just messed around a bit.

The switch on the new B model is stubbier. I like them much better than the older A model. But not enough to sell off the A model and replace with a B model.

The new attachment is different. But with that, I tried to keep an open mind. I remember a few M&P9 pistols that I had a lot of difficulty in installing the original U Boat light on at first. I can remember having to press the face of the light against a table and push the gun into the table to fully seat the light and lock it into place. The new mounting system would make this a non-issue.

The overall size is the same, so that's not an issue.

The biggest difference is going outside at night and turning on each light. There is a noticeable difference in the output, the hot spot and the throw of the new B model light over an original U Boat.

I like my original U Boat, but I like the new B model better. Not enough for me to sell the old light off at a huge loss, but I do like it, and would have no issues carrying one on duty. I guess to answer your question, it would depend on just how much money you would save by going with a new A model?

Another option would be to look for a used Surefire X300U-A?

Reviewer of the Tools
    Thanks for the reply. Your experience with the new B version confirms my suspicions.

I was only hesitant of the B model due to the new mounting system that is similar to the Streamlight mount. I have seen multiple Streamlight TLR lights fly off a weapon during live fire due to the mount loosening itself over time, but that is an individual/training issue more than an equipment issue.

I currently carry and A model on my issued Gen 4 Glock 21 and have been very happy with it. I was planning to purchase another X series light to use on my duty rifle at the 12 O'clock position. However, now I may just switch my A light to the rifle with a Unity Tactical switch cover and purchase a B series light to mount to my Glock.

A lot of guys I work with think a 500-600 lumen weaponlight is overkill, but these things make the inside of a car like daylight in the middle of the night while standing at the B pillar of a car on a traffic stop when things squirrelly.

I have heard of people complaining about breaking the crossbolt on the X300U-B. That being said, I personally never had any issue with it loosening or falling off on my X400/X400Us, in the ~6 years I've had them on my pistols.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-13-2016 at 03:35 PM.

I just traded a B for an A. The newer As are also 600 lumens. I like the tooless lockup if I wanted to swap it easily or if I needed to use a handheld in a pinch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have heard of people complaining about breaking the crossbolt on the X300U-B. That being said, I personally never had any issue with it loosening or falling off on my X400/X400Us, in the ~6 years I've had them on my pistols.
    I've seen that happen on an Officer's duty gun.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Regarding Post#4, I don't know what a "crossbolt" on this weaponlight is. Can someone explain this to me?
    http://www.surefire.com/illumination...aponlight.html

I have an X-300U-B on my Beretta 1301. It's got over 250 rounds of Winchester AA heavy target loads (3 dram) and sixty Federal 00 Buck, along with thirty Brenneke slugs. I have never done any tightening or anything else. I just checked it, and the tension is fine.

Just like Whiskey_Bravo, I have seen multiple Streamlight TLR units attempt low Earth orbit from carbines and pistols. So far, the Surefire has not had that issue.

I'll keep beating the shotgun and light like a rented mule, and let you know of any difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Regarding Post#4, I don't know what a "crossbolt" on this weaponlight is. Can someone explain this to me?
    http://www.surefire.com/illumination...aponlight.html

FWIW, one of the P&S podcasts mentions that the vast majority of X300U-As are 575 lumens, as Surefire did some tweaking and released it just a couple months after launch, they just never updated the packaging. Also, the X300U-As will continue to be sold for some time, supposedly, as Surefire has a contract with one of the large (CA?) LEAs.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-13-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Reviewer of the Tools
    I appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you. I think I will end up buying a B series and running it on my handgun. Can always trade later if I decide I don't like it, Surefire makes legit stuff. Plain and simple.

Now I need to get a Glock 17M and run the B light on it. Then I can play "guess what comes out of the holster" at the range. Will it be:
    1.) Complete gun with light
    2.) Complete gun no light
    3.) Frame only

User Tag List