Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5th Amendment/ "Don't Talk to the Police"

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

The 5th Amendment/ "Don't Talk to the Police"

In 2008, a video recording of a law school lecture on the 5th amendment went viral on YouTube. The jist of the lecture was that talking to the police, for any reason, was inherently a bad idea. As per this recent interview with the same professor, his message was this:

His argument, which he's since expanded into a new book called You Have the Right to Remain Innocent, is that even if you haven't committed a crime, it's dangerous to tell the police any information. You might make mistakes when explaining where you were at the time of a crime that the police interpret as lies; the officer talking to you could misremember what you say much later; you may be tricked into saying the wrong things by cops under no obligation to tell you the truth; and your statements to police could, in combination with faulty eyewitness accounts, shoddy "expert" testimony, and sheer bad luck, lead to you being convicted of a serious crime.
    He argues that this is important because, per him, the US legal system is stacked against the accused. Again, per his interview,

These include a proliferation of poorly written laws that make nearly anything a potential crime, rules that allow prosecutors to cherry-pick only the most damning parts of police interrogations at trials, and a little-known 2013 Supreme Court ruling allowing prosecutors to tell juries that defendants had invoked the Fifth Amendment—in other words, telling an officer you are making use of your right to remain silent could wind up being used as evidence against you. For that reason, Duane thinks that you shouldn't even tell the police that you are refusing to talk. Your safest course, he says, is to ask in no uncertain terms for a lawyer, and keep on asking until the police stop talking to you.
    In the interview, he expounds on this argument in part by claiming that this is because of the role that the police often play in assisting the prosecution. He writes,

Any police officer will tell you, "We're here to get to the truth." But the reality is that over time police officers inevitably come to see themselves as part of the prosecutor's team. They work with the prosecutors, they testify for the prosecutors, they meet with the prosecutors. There are other Western democracies that have legal systems mostly like ours but place significant parts of the criminal investigation in the hands and under the direct supervision of judges and magistrates who really are neutral.
    Anyway, to the point of the post: What do you all as law enforcement officers think about this argument? Do you feel it is true, in part or on the whole, or do you think he is wrong? Can you think of any examples in your career where an otherwise innocent person was jammed up because of their statements to the police? Conversely, can you think of any examples of someone who was guilty who was able to go free/enabled a guilty party to go free because of their unwillingness to cooperate?

I am specifically interested in the latter as the lawyer in question claims that he is not worried that disseminating his advice will enable criminals to go free because, as per him, "[criminals have] been arrested and prosecuted a couple of times already, and they've been through the system, and they've talked to a lawyer and already learned what the book says."

He also says that the feedback he has gotten from current and former LEOs has been largely positive. I will leave that assertion up to you all to interpret....

PS: In your responses, please don't assume I know anything at all about law/the criminal justice system. I considered law school for a hot 5 minutes in college and then ran far far away in the opposite direction...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-22-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am specifically interested in the latter as the lawyer in question claims that he is not worried that disseminating his advice will enable criminals to go free because, as per him, "[criminals have] been arrested and prosecuted a couple of times already, and they've been through the system, and they've talked to a lawyer and already learned what the book says."

He also says that the feedback he has gotten from current and former LEOs has been largely positive. I will leave that assertion up to you all to interpret....

PS: In your responses, please don't assume I know anything at all about law/the criminal justice system. I considered law school for a hot 5 minutes in college and then ran far far away in the opposite direction...
    My take on this as an attorney representing bad guys...

It is a very good lecture. Too bad it won't do bad guys any good. Know why?

Same reason that a really good instructional video on ANY topic won't do you any good when you haven't practiced that topic under realistic conditions.

Cops go to school to learn interrogation techniques. Criminals don't.
    Criminals may have a few instances of police interrogation upon which to base their decisions upon. Cops get a lot of practice, then review, critique & coaching so they can do better next time.

Successful police/criminal interaction from either side requires knowledge of many topics like law, psychology and the facts of the matter at hand. The odds favor the police.

That video is an erudite, correct and well though out presentation on law.
    Sitting a criminal down for the time it takes to watch it would have the same effect as telling an open carry advocate all about constitutional law and the current state of RKBA litigation.

Nothing.

Cons gonna con.
    Cops gonna cop.
    Lawyers gonna try to lawyer (that is why they call it practicing law - eventually we get it right and retire to open a winery...)

You could write a book called "Crime: You have been doing it wrong and here is how to do it right!" and it wouldn't change anything.

Definitely take the time to watch part 2 of that lecture where a police officer covers the same topic, from his point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    My take on this as an attorney representing bad guys...

It is a very good lecture. Too bad it won't do bad guys any good. Know why?

Same reason that a really good instructional video on ANY topic won't do you any good when you haven't practiced that topic under realistic conditions.

Cops go to school to learn interrogation techniques. Criminals don't.
    Criminals may have a few instances of police interrogation upon which to base their decisions upon. Cops get a lot of practice, then review, critique & coaching so they can do better next time.

Successful police/criminal interaction from either side requires knowledge of many topics like law, psychology and the facts of the matter at hand. The odds favor the police.

That video is an erudite, correct and well though out presentation on law.
    Sitting a criminal down for the time it takes to watch it would have the same effect as telling an open carry advocate all about constitutional law and the current state of RKBA litigation.

Nothing.

Cons gonna con.
    Cops gonna cop.
    Lawyers gonna try to lawyer (that is why they call it practicing law - eventually we get it right and retire to open a winery...)

You could write a book called "Crime: You have been doing it wrong and here is how to do it right!" and it wouldn't change anything.
    Interesting. So you disagree with his assertion in the latter quote ("...they've been through the system, and they've talked to a lawyer and already learned what the book says.")? Or are you referring to 1st time offenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Webb297 View Post
    Definitely take the time to watch part 2 of that lecture where a police officer covers the same topic, from his point of view.
    Yup, I've seen the video before, though I probably last saw it around when it first came out in '08...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-22-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Interesting. So you disagree with his assertion in the latter quote ("...they've been through the system, and they've talked to a lawyer and already learned what the book says.")? Or are you referring to 1st time offenders?

Yup, I've seen the video before, though I probably last saw it around when it first came out in '08...
    "Talking to a lawyer about what to say" is like saying "I talked to Claude Werner about shooting" - you are neither a lawyer or Claude Werner.
    Being through the system is like saying I've been divorced 3 times.

So you have some experience with how things work, but you do not necessarily have a full understanding of how everything in the system interacts.

Cops, on the other hand, are regularly educated on what works, what doesn't, what has been know to cause false results, what is impermissible and what is advisable both in terms of law and good results that withstand court review.

It is highly Darwinian and only the well educated and informed survive.

Which...con's are not.

First timers. Career criminals...either way, they will say stupid things. They will make mistakes.

In retirement I worked for a defense attorney and Mitchell covered it all. One of my first questions when interviewing clients was, "Did you say anything to the police?" If the answer was yes, the client had pretty much screwed the pooch at that point. So if you're a bad guy, you should keep your mouth shut. Fortunately for society most do not.

Immediately after retirement I was interviewed about non-criminal misconduct by someone else on the department. I had no personal involvement and nothing at all to lose, but it was interesting getting played by a detective I had worked with when he was on SWAT. Even though he's your buddy, he's not your buddy when he's working an investigation.

I've also had to interact with local police. I live more than a thousand miles from where I worked so these guys don't know me from Adam. I'm not participating in any criminal activities so I've never been concerned about talking with them.

To me interaction is all contextual, but you can avoid problems by following a few simple rules:
    1-Obey the law
    2-Shut the fuck up
    3-Don't ride with a mad woman
    4-Turn that shit off
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    To me interaction is all contextual, but you can avoid problems by following a few simple rules:
    1-Obey the law
    2-Shut the fuck up
    3-Don't ride with a mad woman
    4-Turn that shit off
    HE GOT WEED!!! HE GOT WEED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In retirement I worked for a defense attorney and Mitchell covered it all. One of my first questions when interviewing clients was, "Did you say anything to the police?" If the answer was yes, the client had pretty much screwed the pooch at that point. So if you're a bad guy, you should keep your mouth shut. Fortunately for society most do not.
    Most times when I asked that question they said, "Hell no!" and it turned out the guy made a full confession. On tape.

They just didn't realize it.

My default response to police officers regarding the vast majority of questions is, "I refuse to answer that question." It's nothing personal against individual officers, I know the vast, vast, vast majority of them are good people. I've also had my share of interactions with bad cops to not have learned a thing or two. It makes traffic stops fun...Basically, I only choose to talk to cops, if I call them to file a report. Otherwise, I prefer to minimize my interactions with law enforcement.

Which is most easily done by...not being a criminal or breaking the law.

But that's not to say that there don't exist times when one might interact with LE. I was stopped by a UCPD officer recently, late at night, by my office on campus. The officer in question wanted to know where I was going and what I was doing. In both cases they did not receive anything but, "I refuse to answer that question". I could tell it aggravated the officer, but they didn't press the matter. And we went our separate ways.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-22-2016 at 08:14 AM.

My traffic stops have been (all 2 of them...) largely pretty straight forward. "I caught you speeding." "Yes you did. Sorry." "Here is a ticket/here is a warning. Have a good day."

I was once asked if I had a weapon in the car and I said yes, I did, and told the officer where it was (unloaded Glock in the trunk). I was lucky because the trooper was clearly a gun guy and didn't seem to care - he actually sort of obliquely encouraged me to carry even though my permits did not have reciprocity in his state (OR). I honestly didn't even really think about it because, to the best of my knowledge, what I was doing was legal and I didn't feel like making a confrontation out of a simple speeding ticket. I can see how it may have gone poorly for me but I honestly don't know if refusing to answer his question would have been a better option.

User Tag List