Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire X300 Ultra A vs. B

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I've seen that happen on an Officer's duty gun.
    I recall reading a forum post somewhere where LEO described the cross lot breaking under simple finger tension. Believe it was on a Sig but can't completely recall. The author ended up replacing the bolt with a steel one from a hardware store. I'll see if I can find it...

Site Supporter
    I broke a cross bolt but I am Johnny Overtorque and was installing it on my 870, Surefire sent a new part no issues or cost. Definitely go B. Installing A on a pic tinny rail is a pain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm using an X300U-B and a TLR-1HL on different guns. The TLR-1 tends to loosen whenever I fire more than 200+/- rounds through the gun in one outing, although it has never come off the gun. Thus far, I haven't had any issues with the X300U-B and tightness. It's held up to 200-500 rounds of fire at a time, through a 1911 and a Beretta M9A1.

Reviewer of the Tools
    Sound like the B series light is superior for rail (long gun) mounted applications. However I would prefer to have the Unity Tactical Exo installed to help prevent accidental activation, especially in a rifle bag, and the B series is non compatible with the Exo. I may jump on that Big Tex sale and get a 600 lumen A series for my rifle and call it a day. Thanks guys.

Just a heads up, that sale from Big Tex comes out to $207 shipped! That's Amazon cheap without the worry of a knockoff.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 09-16-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Reviewer of the Tools
    In case anyone was wondering...

My 600 lumen X300U-A arrived today from Big Tex Outdoors. This model features the classic QD mount with the upgraded paddles and lens/emitter/beam/whatever. Very impressed so far.

The stubby toggle switches are short and wide with serrations for traction. They feel like they require less pressure to activate, but that may just be an illusion since I'm getting more surface area of my finger on them now.

The beam is crystal clear and incredibly bright. However the output is almost softer on the eyes even though it's a higher lumen rating. The hot spot is bright and pronounced, but the light does a better job of illuminating the surrounding area. My original X300U is super bright and focused on the center spot/hot spot and doesn't spill out as well.

I tested both lights in a pitch black basement, garage, and non-lighted outdoor space. The new version provides better total illumination while being less harsh on the eyes. Even at contact distance against white walls and auto glass. I won't even attempt to take pictures comparing the two outputs, because my photos would be embarrassing.

The new version will be mounted on my duty weapon for patrol carry. The standard model will be getting a Unity Tactical Exo installed and mounted on a carbine. The older style switches seem like they will work better with the Exo and the intense spotlight function of the beam seems perfect for a long gun.

I was not aware that they have upgraded the X30U-A with the new switch as well as using the output to 600 lumen. If the only difference now between the A and B models is the mounting system, I see a new A model in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I was not aware that they have upgraded the X30U-A with the new switch as well as using the output to 600 lumen. If the only difference now between the A and B models is the mounting system, I see a new A model in my future.
    You're correct the only difference is the mount.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

User Tag List