Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for .45 Colt Platform

GJM & Nyeti, I'd like to see photos of both revolvers you referenced, please.

The idea of an Alaskan gets me tore up every now and then, as does The Redhawk .45C/.45ACP. Have the issues been worked out on the latter?
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I would send your Vaquero to Hamilton Bowen and have him install a Bisley Grip frame and do an action job. It will probably cost as much or a little more than a new gun but it will be as perfect as it can be. He can also regulate the sight for your favorite load.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/cata...n_options.html
    Last edited by jamautry; 09-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks to Tam's wise counsel, I bought a Ruger Bisley at the Indy1500 Gun Show (Indianapolis) in June and have shot the snot out of it. It comes with 2 cylinders, .45acp & LC.

I have run nothing but reloads through it. (Winchester primers, Bullseye and 230 gr. LRN, Vance or Indiana Bullet Co.). I have enjoyed it immensely. Fee was $650 (dealer paid the tax).

This is it (my stocks are that green laminate stuff):

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0472.html
    Last edited by Kirk Freeman; 09-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Kirk, that's the one I've been on the lookout for.

I've read recently about some cylinder throat sizing issues on that run being too small and causing accuracy issues. Not sure how widespread it was. Yours doing OK?

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Kirk, that's the one I've been on the lookout for.

I've read recently about some cylinder throat sizing issues on that run being too small and causing accuracy issues. Not sure how widespread it was. Yours doing OK?
    Yes, no complaints. I am not sure I am good enough to notice "accuracy issues" but at my mediocre skill, no problems.

I took it up to my buddy's place up in Starke County (nearish Chicago) and shot it all day Sunday with my reloads. Shot all day, both .45acp and .45LC, load bullets, no issues and we shot out to 50 yards.

The pistol is heavy but that it cool with me as it tames recoil and with my office veal hands, I need it.

Took awhile but settled on this today:

Name:  srhtoklat.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  58.6 KB

Got tired of chasing after S&W Model 25-7s on Gunbroker and decided the Bisley Blackhawk can be had down the road. Haven't shot it yet. Trigger is smooth but heavy, over the 12lb limit of my Lyman gauge. Really like the balance, that is what sold me, along with the option to play with a full range of .45 Colt loads.

Saw a S&W 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt a couple months ago at the gun store. $800 but damn that was a nice gun.

Love my 635 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt...one of the most fun revolvers I have.

User Tag List