Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best "FIX" to disable S&W OEM revolver lock?

Best "FIX" to disable S&W OEM revolver lock?

Just acquired a used but pristine 642 at a price to good to refuse.....it has the OEM lock. What is the most preferred way to disable it without butchering it? I will be using it in an ankle holster as backup to my G-23. I thought about just dropping a drop of super glue into the key hole but figured by now there has to be a solid accepted way to disable it without affecting performance reliability. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide......

Jim

Grind the finger on the locking flag flat and it is gone, can no longer lock the hammer. Nothing else required, flag and lock can stay in place but they don't do anything anymore.

Name:  SWlock flag.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  10.8 KB

Clarification of the thing that needs grinding down.

Name:  SWlock.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  40.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Might want to read what LSP972 had to say about that...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....one-else/page4

Site Supporter
    And I think Tom is right...my bad for reading the first response too fast on a phone with a screen that is way too small.

I guess I'll have to take myself to task during PFestivus....

A number of guys make a plug for the hole; don't have any experience with them but if you Google "S&W plug" they'll come up.

IME, removing the whole apparatus and replacing it with "The Plug" gives a much nicer finished result; no chance of trigger restriction, and no ugly hole at all.

I did this with both of my old "no choice, only came with the lock" 340PDs, using the black Delrin "Plug", and the procedure was extremely easy.

I got mine from John at S&W Forum, who was the original maker of "The Plug" in either black or silver, but he retired due to illness.

Bullseye Smith has picked up the gauntlet for making "The Plug" (http://smith-wessonforum.com/138900552-post1.html) for those who might be interested.

It does seem pricey (and it is), but if you care about the appearance of the gun, it may be worth it for you.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Trying to find a link for The Plug I found some negative feedback for him, and this guy seemed more recommended. I have no experience with either seller.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/accesso...k-v-added.html

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    IME, removing the whole apparatus and replacing it with "The Plug" gives a much nicer finished result; no chance of trigger restriction, and no ugly hole at all.

I did this with both of my old "no choice, only came with the lock" 340PDs, using the black Delrin "Plug", and the procedure was extremely easy.

I got mine from John at S&W Forum, who was the original maker of "The Plug" in either black or silver, but he retired due to illness.

Bullseye Smith has picked up the gauntlet for making "The Plug" (http://smith-wessonforum.com/138900552-post1.html) for those who might be interested.

It does seem pricey (and it is), but if you care about the appearance of the gun, it may be worth it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Trying to find a link for The Plug I found some negative feedback for him, and this guy seemed more recommended. I have no experience with either seller.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/accesso...k-v-added.html
    I picked up a model 57 for bear duty during hunting season and bought a plug from the JMT sight pusher gentleman to replace the lock. He was a pleasure to deal with and shipped promptly. I would do business with him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what would be the best way to knock out the lock without damaging the frame so the plug can be installed?

Jim

User Tag List