Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever done the math on DOD golf courses?

Has anyone ever done the math on DOD golf courses?

I'm curious as to how much DOD golf courses cost the tax payer and what the environmental impact of all golf courses is. I'm certain that the water cost alone for the 29 Palms Golf Course is staggering but of course, Obama is fine with that.

Anyway, here's an article on DOD wasting money on a golf course:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mepage%2Fstory
    #RESIST

DOD golf courses nauseate me, as most would make great rifle ranges to actually enhance readiness of personnel for their primary mission of closing with the enemy and destroying them...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    You're late to party LL. This has been a running joke for decades. As it was relayed to me: "The Army builds a base, then requests more money for a golf course. The Air Force builds a golf course, then requests more money for a base."

I was never even in the service, and I know that one.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Fort Ord hashad two, Black Horse and Bayonet. Black Horse dated from when the 11th Cavalry was stationed in the area, Bayonet was built when the CG at the time decided that Black Horse was for wimps. Apparently he would have done pretty well as a pro golfer; one day he decided to lay ut a new course and went out with his clubs, and announced "Par 5" and hit the ball...

My roommate at the language school (Presidio of Monterey, across the bay from Planet Odd) was also a very good golfer, and cursed that CG endlessly for letting them put ice plant on the course, as it made every ball dead."
    EDIT to add: When the US Army turned Yongsan Army Garrison in Seoul over to the ROK government, having moved 8th Army HQ to Camp Humphreys, it was with the understanding that the land would continue to be a military installation.
    First thing the ROKs did was sell the golf course to developers.
    During our first tour in Korea, that same roommate entered the 8th Army Open. That was the last year there was an 8th Army Open, because it was won by a pair of Spec 4s...

This is about the sum total of my knowledge of golf, listening to him babble and obsess while I tried to study Korean.
    Last edited by Drang; 09-12-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    DOD golf courses nauseate me, as most would make great rifle ranges to actually enhance readiness of personnel for their primary mission of closing with the enemy and destroying them...
    Amen.

Has anyone ever done the math on DOD golf courses?

We used to joke that Camp Zama, Japan was a golf course and golf course support installation, lol. In reality it was just a tiny base where the USARJ CG lived (along with his band (including me)). There was also a signal company and a MP company, not much more.
    I know that the golf course at Ft. Gordon was amazing. I never played golf but I would drive by it on my way to the range that was run by MWR, which was awesome. 1000 yd range with a great staff and a "pro shop" that would track down dang near any gun you could imagine, tax free.

ETA: If you're near Augusta and have post privileges, I highly recommend this place.
    http://www.fortgordon.com/programs/l...hooting-range/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SGT_Calle; 09-12-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks for testing my heart today, LL.

In case there weren't other things out there to boost my blood pressure sufficiently...this certainly did it.

I'm not sure I want to live on this planet anymore.

Water waste is huge on military posts. I was stationed on Ft Bliss, in El Paso TX. All of west TX and NM WOULD BE IN A SEVERE DROUGHT. the Rio Grande would be bone dry. And every 50ft sprinkler would be pumping a gallon a second out all over post. Ft bliss would be green as the Amazon. And farmers. All over southern NM, and West TX would be in dust bowl conditions. It was redicuolous.
    The golf course was absolutely green as a fresh lawn in Florida. But yet the brass frown on soldiers shooting at the range. Ironic from an Army at WAR!
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 09-13-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Site Supporter
    When I was a young soldier living at Fort Ord and studying language at the Presidio of Monterey, I found out that, as a service member, I could play half-round evening golf for less than ten bucks, and full rounds with a cart for $15 or so on a Saturday. I bought a bag and some clubs at a yard sale for about $10-15, had to track down a putter at Target and spent as much on it as I did the whole rest of the bag, and once or twice a week after that, I'd go do stress relief by myself or with a buddy. We'd meet at the course, or if one of our wives had that family's car that day, car pool over, put our toddlers in baby back packs, and go spend some quality time decompressing doing something completely unrelated to anything real besides our kids and chasing them around on a golf course.

I don't know how much it cost the Army to maintain those courses. We played once or twice at the Naval Post Graduate School course, but it wasn't as nice as Bayonet and Black Horse. His wife gave him a round at Pebble Beach, just down the road. It cost, IIRC, ~$300 to play, and had to be scheduled six months or more in advance. He'd go volunteer at the course for tournaments, and met some of the pros doing that.

I didn't, and still don't, care how much those courses cost. They were priceless to me. Maybe there's some places it's dumb to have one, due to water or space concerns, but that wasn't true at Ord, and the stress relief and chance to spend time away from books with my daughter, combined with giving her poor mom a break, were just invaluable to me. Maybe that's selfish, but that's how I felt about it.

Would have been nice if they'd had a post shooting range open to the soldiers, but by the time I got there, all that infrastructure had shut down. Even the new hospital was mothballed. The golf course was a money-maker, though. Non-DOD paid a lot more than we did to play our course, but it was way less than Pebble Beach or the other commercial courses.

Oh, yeah. I sucked at golf. Still do, when I get out once every year or two. Shooting is more important, and I do that as much as I can, but I still love to go play once in a while. And it's still cheaper to play the local post course than it is to play at the country club. Fewer snooty rules, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Would have been nice if they'd had a post shooting range open to the soldiers, but by the time I got there, all that infrastructure had shut down.
    I shoot skeet at WPAFB every week. I thought there are three golf courses on base, but I only see two in the map view. At least there is still a gun club, though shotguns only. I guess there is an indoor range that used to be open to club member before 9/11/01. But I do know the trap & skeet club has to be self supporting because there was chatter about it being at risk a few years ago while being mismanaged by some young guy hired to do it that alienated all of the trap shooters. This was right after they declared the area behind it to be a national park (Huffman Prairie Flying Field) and the base commander at the time, who apparently didn't understand the ballistics of #7.5 shot, didn't want the club shooting while that park was open. It couldn't survive without us civilian shooters. In this timeframe the barn at the equestrian riding club was damaged in a storm and that was the end of the riding club.

The complete irony was when they shut down the aero club...

User Tag List