Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowhunters, share some detail.

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Not to derail, but do any of you guys have some tips/tricks/hints for first-time bow hunters?

I'm heading to my in-laws 100 acre "farm" (15 acres in soy beans - mostly rolling hills and pines) next Sunday-Wednesday for my first bow hunt. I've rifle hunted there for about 4 seasons with consistent success. We have a good idea where the deer travel but I've always hunted thanksgiving week, never this early for bow season.

Got my stand where I've got trail cam pics and practiced from the stand over the summer. My personal max distance is 20-25yds. I've shot 40 but I don't have the confidence to try that on game.

What do the experts say to the new guys? NEVER do this....ALWAYS do that.

Calls, scent control etc.

On topic - Bear Crux at 65# with Muzzy 100gr 3 blades. From what I've read I pretty much have one of the "off-the-rack-suits" of beginner bow hunting for equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't worry about calls, that won't do anything at this time of year. Just wash your clothing in unscented, UV-free detergent and you'll be ok. More importantly, you'll need to know the wind direction for the days you hunt and choose your spots accordingly. Being in a treestand will give you an edge, but make sure to keep movement slow and to a minimum.

Keep in mind that 99% of the noise you will hear are squirrels. Deer are incredibly stealthy animals. If they are coming, try to stand up and get ready well ahead of time; draw when they're not looking or their head is behind a tree (if possible). Make sure to get your proper form and trust in your practice to take the shot. Either use a rangefinder or pace off distances before getting into the tree to know your ranges (landmark off a tree, rock, etc) so that you can react appropriately depending on the path a passing deer will take.

As Rich said, always and I mean always, wear a harness. Depending on if you're using a climbing stand or a fixed one, there should be options to use a climbing restraint rope so that you are locked to the tree from the moment you step off the ground until you return. Too many people have been crippled or killed ignoring proper treestand safety.

Plan to be in early and out late. Deer are usually still pretty nocturnal and you'll see them returning in the morning from feeding to bed, and heading out again at dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Never bow hunted yet...gonna get my first rifle hunting experience in this November and work my way up to bow hunting public land here in IL.

I can hit a paper plate at 40 yards but probably wouldn't shoot at game at that distance. Using a PSE Spyder at 55lb weight and montec fixed blade broadheads.

Not sure if that's the equivalent of a Taurus or not haha. I am not overly familiar with bows, but it is fairly accurate and seems like it puts some steam on the arrows. The guys at the bowshop's proshop seem to keep it from falling apart, replace the strings, nock and peep sight from time to time and the arrows don't fishtail or seem to do anything weird.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    In general, if you're confident out to 35 yards, I think you're fine. I've had tons more deer pass me at 30-40 yards than 10-20 yards, not to mention the fact that the closer they are, the more careful you have to be setting up and making the shot. The last two years I took an 8 pt and then a 10 pt, both at right around 30-32 yards, so 20-35 is where I spend 90% of my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Don't worry about calls, that won't do anything at this time of year. Just wash your clothing in unscented, UV-free detergent and you'll be ok. More importantly, you'll need to know the wind direction for the days you hunt and choose your spots accordingly. Being in a treestand will give you an edge, but make sure to keep movement slow and to a minimum.

Keep in mind that 99% of the noise you will hear are squirrels. Deer are incredibly stealthy animals. If they are coming, try to stand up and get ready well ahead of time; draw when they're not looking or their head is behind a tree (if possible). Make sure to get your proper form and trust in your practice to take the shot. Either use a rangefinder or pace off distances before getting into the tree to know your ranges (landmark off a tree, rock, etc) so that you can react appropriately depending on the path a passing deer will take.

As Rich said, always and I mean always, wear a harness. Depending on if you're using a climbing stand or a fixed one, there should be options to use a climbing restraint rope so that you are locked to the tree from the moment you step off the ground until you return. Too many people have been crippled or killed ignoring proper treestand safety.

Plan to be in early and out late. Deer are usually still pretty nocturnal and you'll see them returning in the morning from feeding to bed, and heading out again at dusk.
    Thanks Matt. Good stuff as well.

I will be in a ladder stand and a harness WILL be worn. My desire to raise my kids and enjoy a long, comfortable retirement far outweigh any juvenile arrogance and invincibility I once had.

Falling sucks. I'm not afraid to be afraid once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Thanks Matt. Good stuff as well.

I will be in a ladder stand and a harness WILL be worn. My desire to raise my kids and enjoy a long, comfortable retirement far outweigh any juvenile arrogance and invincibility I once had.

Falling sucks. I'm not afraid to be afraid once in a while.

Actually one other thought, the mosquitos can be pretty bad this early in the season. Since you'll be in a stand, I'd think about grabbing one of those Thermacell repellant units. Nothing makes it harder to enjoy a good hunt than a swarm of flying vampires.

Elite GT500 70# 28.5" DL, 325 grain arrow with NAP 100 grain Killzone mechanical.

Biggest thing I had to learn as a new bow hunter was that you need the bow hanging close by to be able to successfully get your bow ready to draw back on a approaching deer. They can get on top of you before you know it at least in the Southeast early season, and holding a bow while in the stand can get very old and tiring. So think about how you are going to keep the bow close by while sitting in the stand. I absolutely love the Hawk GoGadget bow hanger. Hangs way out front and swings out of the way.

Cover for your treestand is very important when there are several deer near you and you need to draw your bow. You need to keep as many limbs on the tree as possible and have cover behind you even if you need to cut some branches and place them behind the stand.

A field of soybeans should bring them in good, so play the wind smart. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My Dad and I both had Bear Black Bears years ago. We shot them every evening that there was still light when the farm work was done. Good memories. Plenty of split knocks and holed fletching between us. Then I got my first centerfire rifle and the bow went into the case. Maybe 12 years ago I had a wild hair and bought a used Hoyt split-limb that was set up around 75 lbs. It was making some ridiculous fps according to the shop's chrono - so ridiculous I'm afraid to repeat it because I think my memory must be off. Either that or bow tech hasn't really advanced much in the intervening years.

Anyhow I've recently been thinking of getting back into archery and was curious if you experts know if there's any reason I can't just pick up that old bow and get back to work? It's been fully tensioned all these years and I'd hate for the string or limbs to blow up in my face. Might even have my old Black Bear around here somewhere but it'd still have the youth cams in it and be set at 45 lbs.

I'd take the time to replace the string if nothing else. The cables are probably fine. If it's a one piece string/cable, give it a good look see for frayed string and serving wraps. Wax it up and give it a draw and a prayer. I doubt any bow manufactured in the last 20 years will have any significant damage to the limbs due to age. Maybe from mis-use but not just from time.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 09-12-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Here in Africa, most hunting is done from a hide, and some walk and stalk. Very little done from tree stands.
    Takes much more practice then a rifle for sure. Here though people are slowly changing their mindset towards mechanicals, initially people thought they were no good for African plains game, only fine for white tail Deer. But with improvements in design, I see no reason not to shoot the correct mechanical with the correct setup. They are a lot more forgiving to bad form and flight in the wind. Oh, and if shot placement is correct , they leave decent blood trails.

I currently have a Matthews Outback (about 14 years old) and shoot carbon arrows with Rage broadheads. I harvested a lot of deer with "old" Thunder head broadheads but these Rage fly better and seem to work as well or better. My next bow will likely be a Hoyt, set up a little faster with a drop away rest for hunting out west.

Always shoot for the double lung hit. Done right, deer will likely fall over within sight.

Scent control and hunting the wind is also very important for whitetail.

I would rather hunt with a bow. Fewer people in the woods and nature is undisturbed. Have seen many things bowhunting other outdoor users would have never seen.

Bowtech General set at 70#. Carbon arrow 3 white fletchings (helps you see arrow). Lighted nock.
    I have used many different types of broad heads but love Magnus products. Their snuffer ss. And stinger buzz cuts are bad ass.

User Tag List