Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty seven months.......................

Thanks to all who serve, or have served, in the Thin Blue Line. I am very grateful for the young ones just getting stated, in these "interesting times."

There is no true optimal financial date for me to leave, as our D.R.O.P. continues to grow, regardless, though there is movement afoot to cap the amount of time an officer can be in D.R.O.P. It also seems that we may stop receiving COLAs while in drop, which would, obviously, reduce the rate of growth. I have been in D.R.O.P. since April 2004. My monthly pension benefit, plus a percentage of each of my current paychecks, goes into the account, which earns tax-deferred interest.

I will reach age 55 in October, and a psychologically significant figure in my combined 457 and D.R.O.P. in November. I will reach thirty-three years of service in November, and thirty-three years of actually wearing the badge on my sworn date in March 2017. None of these figures means anything, in isolation; they are just numbers.

More alarming is the condition of my formerly-stronger-side thumb/hand/wrist/arm/shoulder. I have not yet switched sides for primary carry, as I may actually want my support hand to be physically stronger, and the transition will have to overcome thirty-three years of reflexive conditioning, with the primary weapon being at 0300. I could, actually, be injured in a way that does not involve my right hand/arm/shoulder, but then be unable to return to duty until my whole body is fit for duty. That fixing could take more time than they will give me.

On the other hand, I would not want to place fellow officers in danger or difficulty due to my physical limitations or failings. (My weight is not an issue, thankfully; my duty belt is set at the same size as in 1984.)

Then, there are family considerations. A grandson is due this New Year's Eve, and my father is starting to really show his age. Mowing several acres, and maintaining two aging homes, are becoming too much for him. The need for more family time might well be the deciding factor. My aging parents are thirty miles away; the grandbaby will be about ninety miles away. I am the only grandparent in Texas.

Then there is preparing my mind for being a retired peace officer. I could readily discard the title of Hxxxxxx Police Patrol Officer, but no longer being a Texas Peace Officer is a very sobering thought.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-12-2016 at 12:09 PM.

In my end of things, I will keep doing what I do until I'm unable to do so. Old salespeople are sometimes very good; I am watching them to see what works and what doesn't.

Congrats, troop, it seems like your stuff is pretty squared away, and it's well deserved.

Anyone ever get out right at 20 years? I will be 43 and have my 20 on in October of 2017. I have had a few offers from other departments in terms of command positions, but I hate the political aspect of local law enforcement. I would love to start my own gun shop but as I have moved to buying most of my guns online, I just do not feel super snuggly about that course.

Currently have 26 years in, tentatively planning to put my papers in when I hit 30 years. I will be 53 at that point. If I was to stay until 55 I would get 80 percent versus the 72 percent I will get at 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I also think it's important to acknowledge that when it occurs and be willing to take the next step. I'm self aware enough to know that I'm almost to that point and I don't want to become one of the guys who's only biding his time and everyone wonders why he's still around. I believe in quitting while you're ahead and I'd rather go when they'll miss me than when they can't wait to see me go.

Exactly so. I'm dealing with this right now. The sometimes-it-does-sometimes-it-doesn't commo disconnect that recent for-real brain surgery has done to me means I could be a liability now to the lab. I've had a good six+ years there, no regrets or complaints... But I need to go.

By all means, find yourself a retirement gig. Agencies all across the country have finally figured out that guys like us are exactly what they need for nit-noy background checks, low speed/high drag admin stuff, etc.; stuff that the young lions would rather not do. They pay well, but you're like civilian beans... Straight rate, they don't have to pay you any benefits, you know how to stay in the box, etc. Of course, we have commissioned positions too... but why the hell would you want to do that? Might as well stay on the job, because the pay will be higher. They wanted me to grab a commission, be a CSI, after I had been there six months and they decided I was an okay guy, etc. My supe got butt hurt when I told him no thanks, BTDT, I was there to do guns, wanted NOTHING to do any more with po-licing. So they swallowed that, and I've done a lot of good work for them.

Anyway... Good luck. You're going to love it, bud. Retirement is GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Anyone ever get out right at 20 years? I will be 43 and have my 20 on in October of 2017. I have had a few offers from other departments in terms of command positions, but I hate the political aspect of local law enforcement. I would love to start my own gun shop but as I have moved to buying most of my guns online, I just do not feel super snuggly about that course.
    In my area, (Chicagoland), guys are leaving at the 20 year mark faster than they can be replaced even though it impacts when they can collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Here in NC you can get out with 20 if you are 55. I have 4 years & 3 months left...I have a countdown on my phone to keep up with it. I will be 49 when I go out. At that point I will have 30 years...and I cant go out any earlier. Fortunately for me I was able to purchase 3 of my 4 years in the Army to add to my local retirement. Otherwise I'd have 7 years to go. My 401k took a beating on that purchase but right now it seems like it was worth it.

Funny that Im keeping up with the time but I'm still outpacing the younger guys as far as productivity...not that the admin keeps up with it...oh wait, yea they do. Eval time is coming up too. I rather like writing tickets, investigating wrecks, and getting drunks. I just finished a two week motor officer course which was a kick in the nuts but I did really well. If I can finish the next 4 years over our traffic unit that will be fine with me. I've already told the admin that my last year I was going to just cruise around and not create court dates for myself in retirement.

Some of my older cohorts who are already retired say that retirement is great. Trooper, I hope you find that it is. Enjoy it because Im sure you have earned it.

My current plan is to work 46 more months and I'm starting to look forward to it.

1747 days and a wake up here, give or take a pay period.

On the Federal side, you can retire at 25 years at any age (there are some folks who get hired straight out of college), or any time after 50 years of age and 20 years of service.

I started late, so I have to go to 55 (01 Feb 2020), and mandatory is 28 Feb 2022. My youngest will be in Junior year of HS when I'm eligible, so I'm currently planning on sticking around another 16 months for them to graduate - 'cuz I'm sure as He!! not staying in NY after I retire...

I'm in DROP right now with about four years and some change to go if I stay the whole five like I'm planning. We started seeing a lot more people stay past 20 with DROP. I've seen a lot of people pull the pin at 20 and 25 and regret it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List