Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-retirement careers

Post-retirement careers

I have a few years before I'm eligible to retire and I'm not sure I want to stay in for an additional 5-8 years in DROP. I don't have a degree so that eliminates non-uniform jobs on some departments. I want to continue to work in a challenging job, either in or outside of LE, and have skills that would help in another career.

I have some ideas I'm looking into outside of LE, but all except corporate security require going back to school for at least an Associate's. That isn't a bad thing to do, but I'll need to prepare now for college expenses for me and the kids. Going back isn't an option right now.Staying at home and rotting isn't an option either due to my energy levels and having several teenagers.

I'm curious what jobs the retired cops are working now that they're old enough to pull the pin. Did you go back to or stay on your department in the same or similar role, another LE related job, a completely unrelated profession, or do you welcome people to Walmart?[emoji3]

Thanks in advance!

I have a lot of friends who are now retired, and I think you need to look deep inside yourself and figure out what YOU like to do. Do you want an inside job, an outside job, work full time or part time, make a ton of money or have a "lifestyle" job? Do you want to stay put or travel?

I'm in a big metropolitan area, with a lot of security work, and a lot of guys don't like it. The customer is king, and you have to do the stupid stuff they want, or get fired. There's no union. The pay also isn't that great, compared to other gigs. I know some guys that work investigations at big companies, and it's not too bad. The caseload can be hectic, but you get a good salary.

Other guys get "lifestyle" gigs. Like fishing? Work out on the lake, either at a marina or working on boats. You can become a campground host at National Parks throughout the country. You drive your RV to the park and live in it all summer. You lightly manage the campground, meet a lot of great folks, and get to travel. You get the winter off, and next year you go to a new park.

A lot of ex cops think they have no other skills than being a cop. In fact, if you were to go to another industry, you'd likely move up quickly (assuming you're not lazy). Cops have command presence, take action, and solve problems. That's management material, right there.

Good luck!

I've got about 8 years to go....but I'm kicking around the idea of buying a dually and a hot shot trailer and haul'n stuff around.
    A71593

Could you get an instructor position at on of the local academies?

Most of the guys here go to the local military base in a contractor/civilian slot and make more than they made when they left.

A Bachelors degree would open up a lot of stuff for you.

I have nearly the same amount of time left as you do and I don't plan on carrying any type of badge at all when I retire. If I can't get something on the base, I'll look into working for a corporation here in town in the HR side of things. I have already been offered a thing or two here and there from church members (pretty large church I'm a member of) and am not worried at all about finding something.

Don't count on DROP either......we had a DROP program and that went away a few years back due to issues at state retirement and they way they invest. Don't remember the exact reason but it no longer is an option here.

Lots of guys buy a pickup, a nice trailer, a zero turn mower, etc. and cut grass for a living. They turn business away because they are so busy. Apparently, people would rather spend 50.00 a week rather than buy a push mower and a bunch of our guys swear by it. I'll pass by and see some of the retirees with backpack blowers on and smiling like crazy while they make money.

I've known a lot of cops that retire from here. I've yet to meet one that couldn't find a nice gig doing something. They tell me that showing up to interviews with 25 years on the job dealing with what we deal with is a huge asset when looking for work and edging out other candidates.

Good luck.

It is never too late to get a degree. Especially at the end of a long LE career there are plenty of options both school wise and/or financial. Some PDs will pay for your degree, some won't. I'd take a long hard look at what you want out of a degree and what you want to do when you finish your first career.

I've seen guys become electricians, guys become plumber's, or other tech school driven jobs. They went on their off time and got their certificate, some join a union.

There are guys who continue to work for the PD in a non uniform capacity, doing backroom paperwork, working on stats/personnel type desk jobs.

Other guys go into business for themselves. I've seen guys take their drop money and start a bar, a restaurant, auto body repair shop, one guy moved to FL and bought a hot dog cart on the beach (bet he ain't happy now with that hurricane).

It all comes down to what you want out of a second career. Do you want to work? Do you want physical work? Do you want mentally/physically challenging work?

As others have said customer service based jobs are usually a no go. Few guys I know retired and hates it so much they quit within the month of being out. It's just not worth it.

There are always federal level LE security type jobs out there. You can check out USAjobs.gov and maybe something clicks.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I'm looking at starting a visiting angel home care business with my wife. It's not that out of the box for former LE as it seems. Your problem solving and helping people and think of all the check on welfare calls you take in your career that are elderly or handicapped people that don't have an adequate support network. I thought it was expensive trying to get day care for your kids when they are young. Try pricing assistance for the elderly

john c covered it; YOU have to decide what you want to do, dependant upon what is available to you.

My former agency finally snapped to the fact that retirees are an excellent (and DEPENDABLE) source of manpower, particularly doing things that the real po-lice would rather not mess with... such as admin investigations, etc. So they now have well over a hundred of us, all across the state, doing every thing from "riding the pine" at the troops to being commissioned, active real-crime investigators with the plain clothes sections. I have been a forensics/firearms crime lab rat for over six years, and it has been simply outstanding.

There is plenty of stuff out there, OP. But you gotta look for it, and sell yourself. Retirement with a twist can be a real gas... good luck.

I'm not in LE, but I was over 40 when I finally finished my degree. The kinds of doors that a degree opens are amazing. Even if you only take 1-2 classes here and there at a local community college, it all helps get you across the finish line. A lot of schools will give you academic credit for work experience, life experience, and training you've already taken, and that could be as much as 1/3 to 1/2 of the time you need to do. You just have to jump through some hoops and fill out some paperwork to make it happen.

The cost may not be as prohibitive as you think. There are all kinds of scholarships available from places that you wouldn't imagine exist. A friend of mine has very distant relatives in Sicily, and the Sicilian-American Society (or something like that) had a scholarship that put a couple of grand in her pocket each year for 2-3 years while she was in school. They were happy to give her the money because in the few years before she applied, no one else had applied because they didn't know it existed. Fortunately, there are all kinds of organizations out there dedicated to helping you get money from places where you wouldn't think it's available.

Consider it a mortgage on your brain.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm less than a week away from retirement. I plan on making up for the missed birthdays, anniversaries and other things I missed along the way. I also plan on spending time with my grandsons, the occasional game of golf and hitting the range. When I start missing work I am sure something will be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List