Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on low shooting with Hackathorn sights

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Been thinking about this between naps (sick as a dog). I'm much more concerned about accuracy than the POI/POA issues. That one group looked fine, the rest not so good.
    Hope you feel better soon. I was down a couple of weeks ago and it sucks.

Thank you. I'm human again, though not 100%.

If you get up this way, let me host you at our range. Zoo trip perhaps?

I'm almost wondering if your 19 is a bit fussy about ammo or if there is another mechanical issue undetected.

WOW!! Thanks for the offer. I will get in touch with you after the first of the year. I really appreciate it. I know there are software issues as well but the press six is bad even for me. Thanks for the help.

My wife was shooting slightly low with Hacks on her Glock 19.
    She was slightly anticipating and pushing low. I finally proved this to her by installing a laser sight and having her shoot a few drills with that.
    Pretty obvious when the green dot goes to 6 o'clock just before the shot breaks.
    I don't know why or if the Hacks contributed to the anticipation or if it was just a coincidence it manifested itself at the same time she went from Big Dots to the Hacks.
    She's worked it out now and is back on target.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-22-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Thank you. I'm human again, though not 100%.

If you get up this way, let me host you at our range. Zoo trip perhaps?

I'm almost wondering if your 19 is a bit fussy about ammo or if there is another mechanical issue undetected.
    Well 5 long months later Al T. and I finally got to meet up. Wow what a great guy and great range. We got to play around with some .22s to start the day and then made our way to a pistol bay to get me straightened out. During our conversation the topic of trying new methods to see what works best only really applies if you have a good baseline to start with. I indicated that because of the accuracy issues I had been trying just about everything I was reading on the internet but did not feel that I could say that I had a good baseline to compare to. That all changed yesterday for me. Having only 1 formal class before I still questioned some of my basics (stance, grip, etc.) Al is very thoughfull in his instruction and very encouraging when you are doing it right. After he watched me shoot a few times he checked my grip and stance and sight alignment. He even snuck in a ball and dummy drill on me to check for flinching. To my suprise he found no problem with any of the above. So what is my problem? Trigger manipulation while thinking. Having shot revolvers, 1911's and precision rifles my whole life the act of me shooting to reset causes me to actually overthink the trigger press and I start to wobble. He then introduced me to the press and flip. I went from about a 5" group to about 2" (5-7 yards) in a matter of 2 minutes. What a difference someone with a trained eye can make. I feel like now I have a base to truly develop from. I also feel like I met a new friend yesterday and hope to do more shooting with Al in the future. Thank you.

The problem you are having is similar to a problem I am having with sights with an all black rear and a dot (tritium, fiber optic) front. I am now looking at going back to a two dot rear to help with alignment in all lighting conditions. Not sure if this will help you but I am finding it seems to be helping with my issue. Just a thought...

, gosh thanks. I thought it said bunches about you that traveling 3+ hours one way to get some coaching was on your agenda.

GS, you were a bit puzzling as you were doing so little incorrectly, it was just that the darn bullets weren't getting the message! Good stance, grip, had to be trigger manipulation. But you shot both my 617 and your M&P 15-22 very, very well.

So I shot your Gen4 G19 (nice gun!) and it wasn't the gun.

I got my clue when you mentioned over thinking. Like TLG says, sometimes to go faster, you have to go faster. The press and flip was just a vehicle to get your finger moving faster. Like I showed you, the finger isn't everything, it's one part of the tripod of grip, sight alignment and trigger control. But when it all works in concert....

With my Ameriglo sights I was shooting low, the guys at Ameriglo told me they regulate the sights so that POI is to the front dot, not to the top of the front sight. I fixed my POA vs POI issue by using the G21 rear sight on my G17s to raise the POI since I use the top of the sight and not the front dot.

User Tag List