Thread: Recoil Pad

Recoil Pad

What is the best recoil pad (grind fit, no slip ons) for a bolt action hunting rifle these days? My GoogleFu is revealing Limbsaver and Decelerator, but I am not finding any objective study, if one exists, regarding which pad performs best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What is the best recoil pad (grind fit, no slip ons) for a bolt action hunting rifle these days? My GoogleFu is revealing Limbsaver and Decelerator, but I am not finding any objective study, if one exists, regarding which pad performs best.
    The Limbsaver does a fantastic job with heavier recoiling guns, and I use it exclusively for that purpose. It can be a bit sticky when mounting the rifle for a quick shot, and the decelerator, especially the sporting clays model, can allow easier mounting of the gun on rifles with less recoil.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Though this may be well past timely, I have Pachmayr Decelerator Sporting Clay http://www.pachmayr.com/home/SC100.php on a shotgun and a rifle. If you note in the picture the black at the heel, that's a harder rubber that prevents the softer rubber from dragging under the armpit, allowing a cleaner mount. Mine are black on black and are harder to see a difference in materials. I suspect GJM's Limbsaver suggestion would be better if pure recoil reduction is the key, but I've been happy with my compromise for over 20 years.

User Tag List