Thread: Looking for an ideal year model S&W 629(5-6")

Looking for an ideal year model S&W 629(5-6")

It's been a while since I owned a .44mag, but I'm starting to get a bug for it again for some reason. Most likely it will be for range use, but you never know.... I'm leaning towards a S&W 629 in a 5" or 6" barrel. Obviously the simplest solution would be to just buy a new 629-6 and be done with it. However, the internal lock makes my OCD flare up. So, other than living with a new manufacture model with lock, would I be better off going old school? I definitely prefer stainless to ease of maintenance. Any suggestions are welcome.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've read that they added the lock in the -6 model. The -5 has the internal firing pin, so it probably has MIM parts, if you're allergic to them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've read that they added the lock in the -6 model. The -5 has the internal firing pin, so it probably has MIM parts, if you're allergic to them.
    Yeah, it is more comforting to avoid MIM particularly in a heavy recoiling caliber. I might go for a mid 1990s 629 on Gunbroker......just curious if I should go with an even earlier year model.

The 629-4 has the endurance package, machined case hardened hammer and trigger, hammer mounted FP, no lock, drilled for scope mount if you like it. I have a 629-4 classic 6.5" barrel and has been an excellent revolver.

Good luck!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The first few ones had pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. If you're thinking of a barrel change in the future, might want to look for one of those. If not, a 6" that is drilled/tapped for a scope mount would be a good one to have, especially if you'd like to hunt with it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The first few ones had pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. If you're thinking of a barrel change in the future, might want to look for one of those. If not, a 6" that is drilled/tapped for a scope mount would be a good one to have, especially if you'd like to hunt with it.
    This. It also depends on whether you plan to shoot a lot of hot loads. If not, then I'd get any pre-lock version. If so, then get one with the Endurance Package. I believe that the EP arrived at the same time as drilling and tapping the frames for optics, so that's the quick way to tell. To tell, open the cylinder and look up at the top strap. If it has holes, then it's D&T.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List