Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm question

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Magazines for what pistol? I have bought bulk ammo from Georgia Arms, loaded with Gold Dot Bullets, that was satisfactory. If you are going to shoot a lot, you need to reload or get a friend that will reload for you.

Definitely not aimed at you, but 10mm on non-animal targets really seems to appeal to guys that think all their problems would be solved if their cartridge was only an inch or two longer.
    It's for a G20. I have no intention of using this as a carry pistol. I'm not that masochistic, it's for an experiment of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    So... In all seriousness, is there a good source for 10mm bulk ammo? And I need to source some mags as well. Midway limits purchases to 5 and they're sold out. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For Glock mags, I try to catch the sales during the year at Natchezss.com.

Regarding ammo I am evaluating the G40 for a woods gun so I'm using full power ammo that even in bulk is expensive. Depending on how much you need it might be worth investing in reloading gear. If you are worried about large critters LeHigh Defense sells their Extreme Penetrator bullets as a component.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    For Glock mags, I try to catch the sales during the year at Natchezss.com.

Regarding ammo I am evaluating the G40 for a woods gun so I'm using full power ammo that even in bulk is expensive. Depending on how much you need it might be worth investing in reloading gear. If you are worried about large critters LeHigh Defense sells their Extreme Penetrator bullets as a component.
    Cool, I'll keep an eye on that site. I'm looking to do a training experiment using a 10mm so any ammo will work, I'm not too concerned with the ballistic performance side of the equation. Just need something that will run the gun.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Cool, I'll keep an eye on that site. I'm looking to do a training experiment using a 10mm so any ammo will work, I'm not too concerned with the ballistic performance side of the equation. Just need something that will run the gun.
    In that case I'd check out SGAmmo.com. I buy almost all my bulk ammo there. They have some plain 180gr and similar ball ammo. And their prices are hard to beat.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-13-2016 at 11:52 PM.

You in a position to comment on your experiment?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You in a position to comment on your experiment?
    Yeah man, essentially does caliber actually have an affect on performance for a regular guy? I know different calibers didn't seem to greatly impact Todd's FAST times, we can watch Miculek shoot everything under the sun with the same times and splits, and there was no appreciable difference between 9, 40, 45, and 357sig when Barnhart was running the pistol, but what about a regular dude like me? Is it going to affect me in a significant way? I've never really put it on a timer and tracked the data to see if it makes a difference for a guy like me.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 09-14-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Yeah man, essentially does caliber actually have an affect on performance for a regular guy? I know different calibers didn't seem to greatly impact Todd's FAST times, we can watch Miculek shoot everything under the sun with the same times and splits, and there was no appreciable difference between 9, 40, 45, and 357sig when Barnhart was running the pistol, but what about a regular dude like me? Is it going to affect me in a significant way? I've never really put it on a timer and tracked the data to see if it makes a difference for a guy like me.
    Funny you should mention this, as Gabe and I were having this very discussion tonight. One consideration is caliber alone might not be enough -- consider 10mm loaded to just major power factor in a heavy 1911, compared to a Glock 43 with Gold Dot 124 +P. My belief, without data, is that comparing like animals like a Glock 17 and Glock 22, using representative ammo of each caliber, would be a great way to quantify the difference, and show the 17 significantly easier to shoot to exactly the same level of speed and accuracy. In terms of what you are looking at, I find a Glock 20 with 10mm major manufacturer ball to be softer than a Glock 22 with similar ball.

Funny you should mention this, as Gabe and I were having this very discussion tonight. One consideration is caliber alone might not be enough -- consider 10mm loaded to just major power factor in a heavy 1911, compared to a Glock 43 with Gold Dot 124 +P. My belief, without data, is that comparing like animals like a Glock 17 and Glock 22, using representative ammo of each caliber, would be a great way to quantify the difference, and show the 17 significantly easier to shoot to exactly the same level of speed and accuracy. In terms of what you are looking at, I find a Glock 20 with 10mm major manufacturer ball to be softer than a Glock 22 with similar ball.
    That's a good point and one reason I want to use the G20. I have a G17, G22, and G21 to use as comparable test guns. It's interesting you say the 20 feels like a 22. One of the things I want to do is put numbers on each performance so I can see if what I feel matches up with the actual data.

That's a good point and one reason I want to use the G20. I have a G17, G22, and G21 to use as comparable test guns. It's interesting you say the 20 feels like a 22. One of the things I want to do is put numbers on each performance so I can see if what I feel matches up with the actual data.
    To be precise, I think the G20 feels softer than the G22, which shouldn't be surprising as the G20 weighs more, and most factory 10 is not that much hotter than .40.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Bearthread {bār-thrĕd} (n.) Interminable discussion threads on internet gun fora devoted to rationalizing purchase of exotic firearms solutions to fantastically unlikely problems. "The Taurus Judge is the concrete, physical world manifestation of too much bearthread."
    Of course, when I posted up Phil Shoemaker's 3953 bear over in the Third Gen forum at S&W, it went OK for awhile, then some idiot came in and crapped all over the simple existence of the thread. That's when a moderator deleted it and I was chided for posting a link to another forum (one that in no way competes in focus, and a link that could not be more on topic for people who are fans of third gens).

User Tag List