Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami officer suspended after Facebook post about Jada Page’s killer

Miami officer suspended after Facebook post about Jada Page’s killer

Jada Page was killed in front of her home in the late afternoon of Aug. 28 as she and her father were getting ready to go to the movies. Two men pulled in front of the family’s Northwest Miami-Dade home in a Ford Fusion or Focus and opened fire. Jada’s dad James Page, who was loading items into a car in front of the home, was also shot. He is expected to recover. Police believe he was the target, but haven’t said why. Jada’s shooting death — like others the past few years of young children — stirred community outrage. Last week, her cousin Eugene Spence posted an emotional video urging anyone with any information about the shooting of his cousin to come forward. According to WPLG, Andrew Mesa, a 10-year police veteran, posted that video with his message on his personal Facebook page Thursday: “What will happen if deadly force is the only option. Will they say their hands were up?” That, the television station said, was followed by the hashtag #GoGetTheKillersYourSelves. By Thursday night, Mesa’s Facebook page had been deleted. Mesa will remain suspended as the city investigates.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...100770307.html

Site Supporter
    I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you legal advice. I have not read the story above from any source nor clicked the link. I cannot nor am not speaking to the merits or lack thereof re the above story in any way. My observations are personal and do not represent the position of any employer, past, present or future.

We have come to the point where those in active LEO/MIL/GOVT service should not be posting on Facebook and other social media anything other the concise acknowledgement of life events i.e. birthdays, condolences, graduations, etc. Any other type of post should not ever be done without fully accepting the real possibility that it will be misconstrued to your professional, fiscal or other detriment.

YMMV Greatly. Be safe and well.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you legal advice. I have not read the story above from any source nor clicked the link. I cannot nor am not speaking to the merits or lack thereof re the above story in any way. My observations are personal and do not represent the position of any employer, past, present or future.

We have come to the point where those in active LEO/MIL/GOVT service should not be posting on Facebook and other social media anything other the concise acknowledgement of life events i.e. birthdays, condolences, graduations, etc. Any other type of post should not ever be done without fully accepting the real possibility that it will be misconstrued to your professional, fiscal or other detriment.

I may have to sticky this.
    #RESIST

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

^^^^^ This. But I would broaden the caution to anyone who is, or is contemplating, holding a job much above minimum-wage or owning a business. Harsh (or stupid) words cannot be unsaid. In this modern age of connectivity, what might once have been shrugged off by those who heard it can now rocket around around the world. And what was said online a long time ago can come back to haunt one.

In short, if you wouldn't like what you're about to post to be shown on an electronic billboard over the busiest highway in the nearest city, don't push the "post" button.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter

Just a great post.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

That's been my social media policy since I applied to med school.

Yep, Nephrology had to learn things the hard way about not sharing personal opinions and pictures in the interweb:

A neighboring agency fired a guy earlier this year for a Facebook post. It had to do with a BLM member who committed suicide. Which of course got to the media. Instant shit storm. He was fired pretty quick but everyone with a working brain knew he would get his job back. Which he did. But the City did what they needed to do so that down the road they can point the finger at the Union and the arbitrator and say "don't blame us, blame them. We fired him, but binding arbitration....."

Facebook is the devil. It's giving badge bunnies a run for their money to see which gets more cops in trouble.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    A neighboring agency fired a guy earlier this year for a Facebook post. It had to do with a BLM member who committed suicide. Which of course got to the media. Instant shit storm. He was fired pretty quick but everyone with a working brain knew he would get his job back. Which he did. But the City did what they needed to do so that down the road they can point the finger at the Union and the arbitrator and say "don't blame us, blame them. We fired him, but binding arbitration....."

Facebook is the devil. It's giving badge bunnies a run for their money to see which gets more cops in trouble.
    Funny how that works, right? The city and department can save face but the poor guy has to go through arbitration to get his job back...what a crock
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    ^^^^^ This. But I would broaden the caution to anyone who is, or is contemplating, holding a job much above minimum-wage or owning a business. Harsh (or stupid) words cannot be unsaid. In this modern age of connectivity, what might once have been shrugged off by those who heard it can now rocket around around the world. And what was said online a long time ago can come back to haunt one.

In short, if you wouldn't like what you're about to post to be shown on an electronic billboard over the busiest highway in the nearest city, don't push the "post" button.
    That, too.
    #RESIST

User Tag List