Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Week 7: 3x5 Speed Push

This DotW was brought to you by the letters 'K' and 'L' for "Knowing your Limits".

I should have never done this drill once I realized my long sleeved polo was too tight around my waist, but this was the only time I had to do it this week.

Gun: HKP30L stock
    Distance: 7 yds
    Position: Comp-tac Straight Drop
    Fastest Time Clean on String 1: 3.43 (almost a second slower than my good days)
    Fastest Clean Time on String 2: 2.92 (miraculous) 11 hits total

This is a great drill and I wish I had more time this past week to have run it 2 dozen times.

This whole work thing is getting in the way of my DotW

NOTE: I have the IPSC Pro Timer on Android and it doesn't seem to do 1/10ths of a second. Am I wrong about this?
    Last edited by BaiHu; 11-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Range: 7 yards
    Start Position: Blade-tech holster, M&P9, concealed under vest.
    Best time for string one: 3.28 seconds (19 hits total on string 1)
    # of hits within time limit on string two: 10
    Best clean time: 2.85

This is a great practice drill that I am learning a lot from.. I am going to make it a regular part of my practice with the goal of getting consistently under 3 seconds clean.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by C45P312 View Post
    Specifically joined once I realized my pistol skills were degrading. Haven't really done any real pistol shooting since July which is 4 months before my daughter was born. Well, my daughter is 7 weeks old today and I'm looking to get back into the groove.
    Great to see you here, bud, and congrats on the little girl! There's a lot of that going on around here lately...

We are diminished
    Gun: G17 gen4 test gun
    Distance: 7yd
    Position: concealed, CCC Shaggy under untucked polo
    Fastest Time String #1: 1.98 (high of 2.35, all hits)
    Fastest Clean Time String #2: 1.78 (all strings under PAR, dropped one shot each of three times)
    Number of Hits String #2: 17

So I did a little more than just shoot this; I really wanted to compare my competition rig (vest, M&P Pro 9mm) with my carry gun (Polo, IWB at 2:30, M&P 45). I shot it once for par with my competition rig, then ran the "push" twice, once with each gun.

Gun: M&Ps, 9mm Pro and .45 Mid-sized.
    Position: Concealed, holsters and garment as above.
    PAR Time from String 1: 2.98 (Most around 3.2)

Fastest Clean Time String 2, Competition: 2.40, all shots under PAR.
    Number of Hits String 2, Competition: 16

Fastest Clean Time String 2, With Carry Rig: 2.62, all shots under PAR.
    Number of Hits String 2, Carry: 16

The biggest surprise, to me, was that both guns produced identical hits. I'm not sure I'd expected that. There's a slight difference in splits (maybe .10) and a slight difference in draw (maybe the other .12) but I shoot the two guns very similarly. I'm pretty happy with that result.

Consistent with previous results, I had no trouble drawing and working the trigger. The difference between a hit and a miss was mostly how carefully I aimed.

Now reading everyone else's drill to see if I'm last again!
    Last edited by TheRoland; 11-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Gun: G19 gen2, sevigny carry sights
    Position: concealed, SSII @5'clock under a closed bowling shirt
    Fastest Clean Time String #1: 2.76 (clean high of 3.65, missed 7 as I figured out my limits)
    Fastest Clean Time String #2: 1.98
    Number of Hits String #2: 12

Great drill, kind of like a walk-back drill that keeps pushing your accuracy, but pushing your time instead.

Also, can we get the new DotW out earlier in the day on Mondays? Makes it possible to do two DotW's in one trip for those if us who, you know, do something other than hit the range for a living...

Actually it was a really good day at the range, I'm too beat right now to write it up in my journal thread, will hopefully do tomorrow.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Gun: G17
    Position: concealed, CCC Shaggy under hoody
    Fastest clean Time String #1: 2.70
    Fastest Clean Time String #2: 2.71
    Number of Hits within 2.70 seconds String #2: 9

I think I really freaked myself out mentally on this drill.

also the range got super busy during string 2, and I could barely hear the timer. or sometimes hear the last part of the beep. after this happened several times in a row, I just said f it and executed the drill.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Gun: CZ Shadow
    Position: Open rig. BT DOH DAA mag pouches. No concealment
    Fastest Time String 1: 1.93 high of 2.41
    Fastest Clean Time String 2: 1.43 Draw of 1.19. 1 run over PAR (clean) 3 misses.
    Misses were 2 on the draw and 1 on a follow up. Luckily no double misses on any string. Fastest string was 1.01 Draw of .65 the a slow split of .36. I had actually scared myself with that one, the shot totally caught me off guard. Not happy about that. Draw was a hit, follow up was the miss.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Great to see you here, bud, and congrats on the little girl! There's a lot of that going on around here lately...
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I've been out of the loop. PM Sent.

We are diminished
    Week 7 is now closed.

Week 8 has been posted.

User Tag List