Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 7: 3x5 Speed Push

We are diminished

Week 7: 3x5 Speed Push

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 21-November-2011.

by ToddG
    Range: 7yd (or other, see below)
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: shooter's choice
    Rounds fired: 40

You will need a shot timer for this drill.

This week's exercise is about pushing yourself for speed on a low% target. It will involve hitting a 3x5 card at seven yards. If you cannot consistently hit a 3x5 card at seven yards slow fire, then decrease the distance to one at which you can make 3x5 hits on demand when time is not a factor.

Start position is up to the shooter but should be consistent throughout the drill. The 3x5 card should be placed horizontally (3" tall and 5" wide).

There are two strings of fire:

String 1:
    During the first string, your goal is to get 100% hits.
    • On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5; record the time and the number of hits
    • Repeat for a total of ten runs (20 shots)

String 2:
    During the second string, your goal is to push yourself to manipulate the gun faster.
    • Set a PAR time equal to the fastest clean run you had during String 1.
    • On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5 card trying to get both shots off before the PAR time is up
    • If you got both hits under the PAR, record your time
    • If you failed to get both hits under the PAR, record the number of hits you did get (zero or one)

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • distance
    • Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster)
    • Best time for string 1
    • # of hits within the time limit for string 2
    • Best clean time for string 2

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Awesome DotW, Todd, I can't wait to go crazy and push the envelope further than I ever have before, or crash and burn trying! Half-joking...

Sounds like a good drill this week. I'm determined to not come in dead last this time.

Probably will run this from concealed holster, so this can double as practice for the draw at the start of the FAST.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    {snip}
    Range: 7yd (or other, see below)
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: shooter's choice
    Rounds fired: 40

This week's exercise is about pushing yourself for speed on a low% target. It will involve hitting a 3x5 card at seven yards.
    {snip}

String 1:
    {snip}
    String 2:
    During the second string, your goal is to push yourself to manipulate the gun faster.
    {snip}
    I like. Matter of fact, the previous drill of the week (6: Typewriter) seemed a lot more like a test, instead of a drill. (It certainly could be run as a drill, but it really worked better as a test, IMO.) This one, on the other hand, starts with a great diagnostic idea, then uses drills to push times based on that diagnostic.

Nice! Can't wait to try it. Wonder if I can get to the range tonight...
    [sigh] (And I suppose I should do this concealed AIWB, instead of using my competition rig. Well, I need the practice...)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jthhapkido View Post
    (And I suppose I should do this concealed AIWB, instead of using my competition rig. Well, I need the practice...)
    Or both...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Or both...
    I try to only concentrate on one type of shooting per session. If I'm wearing my competition rig, I'm all competition-oriented. Any other rig----when appropriate, I check my 6, move from where I was shooting before checking, blah blah blah...basically, all the mental things that competitors (USPSA competitors, which is the shooting sport I do most) don't do in a match but should in any non-competition situation, I try to do when practicing from any other rig.

I don't necessarily do all that during each iteration of a drill. But whenever appropriate, I try to.

We all know that proper mental reaction, response, and followup require training as well---not just the shooting part. So, since when I'm in my competition rig I don't do it (takes time I don't have, and it isn't necessary for that game), any time I'm _not_ shooting in a competition rig, I do. And after the first couple of times, it wasn't hard keeping the reaction categories separate, and automatic.

I happen to actually shoot the same gun in USPSA Production that I use for CCW. So, any shooting practice in one helps in the other.

And darn it, I didn't make it to the range today. Hopefully tomorrow...

Edited to add:
    Upon re-read, I notice that this really isn't discussing the drill---so if it is too off-topic for the DOtW thread, feel free to delete.

Do we need to post pictures of hte target for this? if so should we do one 3x5 for string 1 and another 3x5 or string two?
    Chemist.

We are diminished
    You never have to post pictures. We trust folks to report their honest results. Pics just make it more interesting!

My plan is to post different targets for string 1 & string 2. How you do it is totally up to you.

Shot this today, forgot to take pictures until I got to the second string. Replaced the 3x5 every 10 rounds to make counting easier.

Distance: 7 yards
    Start Position: CCC looper under an un-tucked polo
    Best time for string 1: 2.77secs
    # of hits within time limit for string 2: 14
    Best clean time for string 2: 2.59secs

Raw data:
    String 1: 3.11c, 3.39c, 3.24c, 3.05c, 3.69c (fumbled draw), 3.16c, 3.21-1, 3.35c, 3.35c, 2.77c
    String 2: 2.59c, 2.59c, 2.69c, 2.80 1 under par, 2.68c, 2.59-1, 2.85 1 under par, 2.76 1 under par -1, 2.66c, 2.57 1 under par -1
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 11-15-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Did this today in between re-cert qualifications, with my Gen4 G17, Defoor sights, and a mix of CCI Speer Lawman CF and Federal Toxic Metal Free, all 147gr. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try it with my work gear, which I know will be a bit slower.....

Distance : Shot at 7m
    Start position : Blade-tech holster, open carry, with SBA in external carrier and hi-vis vest over top (affected draw a little)
    Best time for string 1 : 1.88 clean
    # of hits within time limit for string 2 : 13 hits (1 shot over time, 6 misses)
    Best clean time for sting 2 : 1.57

I had 1 miss for string 1, about an inch high, time for those 2 shots was 1.90. Times for string 1 ranged from a high of 2.54 to a low of 1.88.

String 2 had 6 misses, and one shot past the 1.88 limit. First shots from the holster ranged from high of 1.54 to a low of 1.26. All my misses on string 2 were for the 2nd shots. My first shots were all good hits.

I'll post a pic of the target when I get home.

User Tag List