Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal 9BPLE 9mm +p+ 115 grain jhp

Federal 9BPLE 9mm +p+ 115 grain jhp

Is this load still a good load for carry or just an outdated classic load?

More the second thing than the first thing.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by reloader550 View Post
    Is this load still a good load for carry or just an outdated classic load?
    The latter.

However, if that's all I had, I'd fine with with it in my 9mm; much better than hardball as far as I'm concerned.

It was our duty ammo for years and worked on BGs, so if it's all you've got I wouldn't worry tremendously. If you're buying ammo I'd go with something off Doc's.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

he probably got the SG Ammo email, and realized it's priced very nicely compared to "modern" loads.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

While it would not be my first choice for duty or EDC (see DocGKR's list), it's a very accurate load from my Glock 17's.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 09-11-2016 at 06:54 AM.

According to Doc, the testing shows that it has inconsistent terminal effectiveness, which is why it isn't on his list.

However, I have found it to be very accurate, which makes it a good load for precise target shooting. In addition, I have never found a 9mm it doesn't feed in. Thus, if I had a pistol that didn't like more modern loads, I'd try BPLE. Overall, though go with Doc's list for carry.

Tangentially, there is a version of 9BP developed for the RCMP SWAT (IIRC) that sits in between the classic 9BP and the +p+ LE iterations. It's catalogued as xm9001 and reportedly specs at 1220fps from 4", splitting the difference between the more widely known BP loads. I keep a bunch of this stuff on hand precisely because it's accurate and cycles in anything I've tried it in. It's a killer match for a G43, in terms of accuracy and modest felt recoil, for example.

I'm not saying carry it over, say, 124gr GDHP+P or anything, but the load meets a need for me, since I seem to be acquiring new "old" 9mms like some people buy blue jeans. The stuff runs like shit through a goose in my recently purchased 3" Colt New Agent, for example. It's nice to have affordable stock on hand that is more likely than not to cycle whatever comes in the door, even if the tech is Reagan-era.

Carry on...

There is a really good thread on this ammo from a couple years ago. I don’t carry the stuff, I have in the pass, but I still like having some on hand. The price is pretty good even though it about two bucks more than the last time is bought some. I may have to pick up some more.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11541-9BPLE

I standardized on 9BP back when it was already old tech versus Hydrashok. But its nice round ogive meant it fed well and it continues to feed well in a variety of guns.
    How much of The Bullet Of The Month would I have to shoot to feel as confident in its reliability so as to get claimed better terminal ballistics? A lot, for sure.

User Tag List