Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini pizzas - 85F at Bud's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Mini pizzas - 85F at Bud's

.380 single stacks - sure to get you kilt in the streets, but at least they're really pretty.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/719009561

I have no idea if that's a good price, but Bud's is usually good.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I like the little double-stack ones more than they rate, but they're so cool.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I've owned an 84, 85, and 86. Traded the 84 and $100 for a Smith 657 as I always thought the grip was too fat for the pistol's size, gave the 86 to Mom on permanent loan b/c the tip-up barrel makes it easy for her to load / unload (neither my wife nor my Mom can pull the slide back on the 80 series), and kept the 85 for myself.

The 86 has 3-dot sights which were larger and easier to see. Both the 84 and 85 have smaller straight 8's which I don't care for. They are extremely accurate pistols, with little felt recoil at least IMO. I've heard other people say the opposite but what do I know.

One thing you need to be aware of on the 84 and 85 F models is that there is a distinct notch in the safety lever travel where it feels like the safety is engaged but the hammer hasn't decocked. This is *not* a 'safe' position and if you leave the lever there and pull the trigger the gun will fire. You need to give the lever a good shove upward to the point where the hammer decocks before the safety is truly on. Supposedly this was fixed on the newer FS models.

All of the 86 models plus the older 84 and 85 no-letter, B, and BB models allowed cocked and locked carry; there was no decocker feature. The 84 and 85 F and FS models are the ones with the decockers. Hope this is clear.

The F models are valued a little less than the FS because of the funky safety operation. But the single-stack 85's have always carried a premium over the 84's due to relative rarity, and the 86's have gone into stupid price territory for the same reason.

I would guess a truly good price on an 85F would be anything under $450. The 84's can be found for a lot less on GB. I think it's Cole's that used to have a whole lot of them - my 85F came from them and it was in 95 percent shape when I got it. Haven't looked recently, but Cole's was coming up with a trickle of 85 models and a crap ton of 84's for quite awhile. Some of the 81's and 82's in .32 Auto were showing up too.

The 80 series guns are on my extremely short list of what I consider to be beautiful semi-autos.

Vending Machine Operator
    Some great info, TBone.

The only thing that kept me from jumping on this is that when I do get an 80-series (it's on my permanent 'will acquire' list, not my 'gun of the month' list), I want a brand new, nickel-finish, wood-grip single-stack variant. Which is about $800 for something that will almost certainly be a range toy only. Haven't been able to get myself to cough that up yet.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Thank you for posting this. I am actually quite interested in this. I am coming from a Sig P232. I am curious as to whether the single stack 85 would really be that much thinner / worth the capacity loss when compared to the 84. I would welcome anyone with some hands on experience to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    I am curious as to whether the single stack 85 would really be that much thinner / worth the capacity loss when compared to the 84. I would welcome anyone with some hands on experience to chime in.
    You'll have to decide for yourself if the capacity loss is 'worth it.' These are some of the largest .380's around; there are 9mm autos that are smaller, probably quite a few of them. So if you're looking for a CCW you might be better off looking elsewhere although I confess to carrying mine every now and then just b/c I like it so much.

Yes, the grip feels noticeably smaller when you hold an 85 or 86 after an 84. To look at it in pictures doesn't give you a true idea of how much smaller it is. Svelte is the word I'd use for the single-stack 80 series. The logical argument probably goes something like this, though... .380 is so relatively underpowered that you want as many as you can carry. Or better yet keep the .380 for target practice and admiration, and carry something with less soul but more punch.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I am actually quite interested in this. I am coming from a Sig P232. I am curious as to whether the single stack 85 would really be that much thinner / worth the capacity loss when compared to the 84. I would welcome anyone with some hands on experience to chime in.

What TBone550 explained about the safety operation, IMO, builds in too many liabilities for the little B to be used socially. I have an 84F, and it's exactly as he described. Fun and pretty little range toy, though.

I handled a new 85FS at the LGS today, and it still had the not-actually-on-safety detent click in the lever. It sure was pretty.

My main thought was that an S&W 3953, while slightly larger, is not much larger, a bit slimmer, and a lot slicker with the smooth-sided DAO slide. Plus, it shoots .380 Long Rifle. And you can pick them up for $300 +/- on GB right now. The seller putting them up with penny starts is a good shop.

I wonder what Wilson Combat could do with one of these...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    You'll have to decide for yourself if the capacity loss is 'worth it.' These are some of the largest .380's around; there are 9mm autos that are smaller, probably quite a few of them. So if you're looking for a CCW you might be better off looking elsewhere although I confess to carrying mine every now and then just b/c I like it so much.

Yes, the grip feels noticeably smaller when you hold an 85 or 86 after an 84. To look at it in pictures doesn't give you a true idea of how much smaller it is. Svelte is the word I'd use for the single-stack 80 series. The logical argument probably goes something like this, though... .380 is so relatively underpowered that you want as many as you can carry. Or better yet keep the .380 for target practice and admiration, and carry something with less soul but more punch.
    Thank you for this feedback. You answered all of the curiosities that I had. I have run through a 3913 and a 3953 ... I regret selling the 3953 ! Have been liking the da/sa side of the house lately so I have been hunting slim da/sa options. I am grateful for the PF family and all the great insight that is here to be had. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I wonder what Wilson Combat could do with one of these...
    You're one devious MoFo.

[Thinking...]

"old man gun...?"
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.

User Tag List