Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio Theft

Site Supporter

San Antonio Theft

On the local news, doc comes back from his ranch and parks his truck in front of the Saltgrass steak house at 4:00 PM. Loaded with five handguns, computers, doctor stuff, computers. The restaurant is in a pretty nice strip mall off I-10 and densely packed. All gone, thieves popped the key pad.

Wonder how this happened? Trolling the lot for vehicle full of stuff? Must have been fast as that place is pretty crowded.

I was confusing that incident with this one in Florida

http://wsvn.com/news/local/7-guns-am...t-davie-plaza/

DAVIE, FLA. (WSVN) - A South Florida gun owner is speaking out and expressing concern days after, he said, a man was caught on video breaking into his truck in broad daylight and taking off with tens of thousands of dollars in firearms and ammunition.

The victim, Dorian Jumper, said he and some friends were on their way to a local gun range, Saturday afternoon, when they decided to stop at a sushi restaurant located in a plaza along the 15700 block of Sheridan Street, in Davie.
    But if you google you can find this incident at the same restaurant

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...se-5240110.php

Waitress shot overnight at Saltgrass Steakhouse
    By Leezia Dhalla, San Antonio Express-News Published 10:47 am, Sunday, February 16, 2014

SAN ANTONIO — A waitress was shot overnight at a north side restaurant during a botched robbery attempt.
    According to media reports, an unidentified man walked into the Saltgrass Steakhouse on U.S. Highway 281 near Donella Drive at around 2 a.m. Sunday.
    He grabbed a waitress by her neck and demanded money from the manager before the restaurant alarm went off, according to KSAT. When the manager was not able to shut off the alarm, the man shot the waitress in the leg and took off without any money.
    The waitress was transported to San Antonio Military Medical Center. Her condition is unknown. San Antonio police are still searching for the Saltgrass shooter.

Site Supporter
    If I got the story right - this was a different location. There are a few of them in town. Both however are in 'nicer' areas but nothing is nice here at 2:00 AM.

Be in bed by 10:00 PM as John Farnam says! I once had an argument with my wife and kid who wanted to stop in a late night place for ice cream near closing. That's when they get hit, sez I. No ice cream for you.

Anyone who leave tens of thousands of dollars of *anything* in a car unattended has all the sense of a bucket of chum.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I was confusing that incident with this one in Florida

http://wsvn.com/news/local/7-guns-am...t-davie-plaza/

But if you google you can find this incident at the same restaurant

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...se-5240110.php
    Different location.

While San Antonio has relatively low rates of violent crime compared to Houston of Dallas, but it has very high levels of property crime, particularly auto theft and auto burglary. The western portion of IH-10 where this particular Saltgrass is located is a "nice" commercial corridor including UTSA and several malls and shopping centers.

There are groups of professional auto burglars who target this area regularly. They are quick and skillful. The busier the parking lot the better. Most people walk around with their head buried in their phone or otherwise up their ass and notice nothing. Anyone who leaves anything in their car here is asking for trouble.

Think about it, if I'm a car burglar, do I want to break into Hyundai's and 15 year old used trucks belong to my neighbors in the hood or do I want to go to a nice area full of nice, careless rich people and their new luxury cars and trucks full of nice stuff ?

The Dr. is lucky his truck isn't being used by the cartels to run dope and alien loads through the brush.

http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/s...at-you-can-do/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...eves.html?_r=0
    Last edited by HCM; 09-12-2016 at 09:42 PM.

^^^cool article links.

It's not good practice to leave unsecured firearms in a vehicle.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah... I get the post-range trip food/beer idea, but if possible it's better to go home and unload everything that you aren't carrying that day (or, if you're planning on having >1 beer, unload all of it). On the (infrequent) occasions that I go to the range with a buddy, I usually stop by my place first and unload then walk to a beer garden about a 1/2 mile from my place.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Different location.

While San Antonio has relatively low rates of violent crime compared to Houston of Dallas, but it has very high levels of property crime, particularly auto theft and auto burglary. The western portion of IH-10 where this particular Saltgrass is located is a "nice" commercial corridor including UTSA and several malls and shopping centers.

There are groups of professional auto burglars who target this area regularly. They are quick and skillful. The busier the parking lot the better. Most people walk around with their head buried in their phone or otherwise up their ass and notice nothing. Anyone who leaves anything in their car here is asking for trouble.

Think about it, if I'm a car burglar, do I want to break into Hyundai's and 15 year old used trucks belong to my neighbors in the hood or do I want to go to a nice area full of nice, careless rich people and their new luxury cars and trucks full of nice stuff ?

The Dr. is lucky his truck isn't being used by the cartels to run dope and alien loads through the brush.

http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/s...at-you-can-do/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...eves.html?_r=0
    Yup. In NW Houston over the period of 5 years, I had one truck broken into, with intent to steal, three times. They succeeded on the 4th attempt, and my truck was found a year later a few miles from the border stuck in a gully. Multiple officers explained to me that 4x4, diesel, 4-door trucks are highly sought after for border use, or local smash and grab robberies.

On the 3rd attempt, it was broad daylight in a "nice" hospital parking lot. My middle child was in the NICU, just 2 days old. And I was walking out with my oldest daughter (3 at the time) after visiting, and walked up onto the attempted thief trying to start my truck. Since I had my kid, I didn't confront him, just called the cops and was a good witness. Cops found the guy 2 months later while driving another stolen vehicle. Seems his MO was to drive his wife's car to a parking lot on a nice side of town, steal a vehicle, and come back the next night to pickup his wife's car.

Re: Ford keypads. Being seeing a lot recently about how easy it is to pop the keypads and gain entry without setting off an alarm.

Site Supporter
    I took many theft from vehicle reports in my career. I don't like leave anything valuable in a vehicle. If I have to I like to have eyes on it. I was always surprised by victims reactions. Thieves go where the money is. Any expensive vehicles with visible valuables are ripe to be broken into. Cars thieves do love the crew cab diesels. I just bought a new f250 and I will be adding an alarm very soon.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 09-13-2016 at 09:44 AM.

User Tag List