Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need pistol recommendation

I carry a G19 as a daily carry pistol with no issues - but I'm plain clothes LE, so I need as much capacity and shootability as I can get in a pistol that's not overly large. The only thing I would say is, IMHO, nearly unarguable, is that you should get a 9mm pistol - UNLESS you live somewhere that the caliber is restricted or capacity is restricted. The 9mm will do everything you need it to do as a self defense pistol, with lower recoil (ducking before the .45 fans come after me with flamethrowers).

Once you're comfortable with the idea of the 9mm, you have to decide on an action type. The three main action types that are going to be "affordable" are (1) striker fired, (2) Traditional Double Action, and (3) Double Action Only.
    -Striker fired pistols do not have an external hammer, and their actions are (generally) partially or fully "cocked" by the action of reciprocating the slide (while loading, or as the slide moves during the firing cycle). The result is these pistols tend to have short, light, consistent trigger pulls - which usually makes them "easier" for new shooters to learn. The down side is these pistols are EASY to shoot, meaning the person who chooses one has to have a DEVOUT attention to keeping their finger AWAY from the trigger until they've made the conscious decision to shoot.
    -Traditional Double Action (TDA), AKA Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) uses an external hammer to strike the firing pin. The hammer is forward during carry, and the first trigger pull has to "cock" the hammer - making the first trigger pull longer and heavier than the typical striker trigger. The slide "cocks" the hammer after the first shot (while reciprocating in the firing cycle) making subsequent shots Single Action - with a trigger pull that is USUALLY shorter and lighter even than striker triggers. The advantage of TDA is the deliberate nature of that first shot. The reason some shooters don't care for them is they actually have to train to be effective with that first long, heavy trigger pull; they have to train to be able to adjust between the long/heavy DA and short/light SA trigger pulls; and they have to pay CLOSE attention to "decocking" the hammer after shooting before reholstering.
    -Double Action Only (DAO) pistols are hammer-fired guns that lack the single action feature of TDA - so every shot is long(ish) and heavy(ish). The advantage is these tend to be the most "deliberate" pistols to shoot, the obvious disadvantage that they're also the hardest to shoot well at speed. There are DAO variants, like HK's LEM and Sig's DAK that are more complicated in their guts, but yeild a lighter trigger pull than "regular" DAO pistols, but I don't want to make your eyes bleed.

There are a lot of dynamics here, but, as a RULE OF THUMB, the smaller the pistol, the harder it will be to shoot well, and the less you are likely to practice with it (eeks - did I suggest people actually SHOOT their ccw? Heresy!) Smaller, lighter pistols have shorter, harder to hold onto grips, have shorter sight radius (which tend to increase the effect of sight alignment inaccuracies), and have more recoil. There are some pistols which seem to defy this rule, and many find the G26 to shoot almost as well as the G19, and there are tons of HK fans who swear the P2000sk shoots on par with the P2000. But, once you drop to really small (single stack subcompacts), you're going to see a dramatic drop off in shootability.

If I were in your position, I'd look at the G19 and Sig P320 for striker pistols; the CZ P07 or Sig P2022 for TDA pistols; and the HK P2000 LEM or Sig P250 for DAO pistols. I'd try to find a range where you can rent each of them, and SHOOT them, don't just settle for how they "feel" in your hand. Be prepared to drop $500 or more on the pistol (the P250 might be most affordable of the bunch), this is not a place where you're going to want to skimp. When it comes to firearms, you really do get what you pay for, in most cases...

Let us know if there are any other questions you have that we can help you with, and welcome to P-F!

^^^ Awesome post is awesome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimivak View Post
    Ok thanks for your comment!
    Its going to be used for self defensr, not anything special.
    Yes, i will carry it every day.
    I dont need to conceal it, but i dont want to carry a big pistol.
    Yes, i shot before many times. Most of the time with m16 and similar guns.
    I held the cz duty before, i want something a little bit smaller.
    Sorry for my messy request
    You already have some good advice re: gun selection. Your statement that you will carry it daily but do not need to conceal it caught my attention. Unless your job is one wherein you are in uniform and expected to be armed, there are some very good reasons to avoid open carry.

Even if it is legal in your state, some localities will try to get you for disorderly conduct.

Depending on where you live and whether 'no guns" signs have the force of law, carding well concealed may allow you to disregard them.

In addition to the social stigma, open carriers have succeeded in making a lot of enemies to the cause of second amendment rights.

You should consider your lifestyle, climate, more of dress, and what you can realistically conceal on a daily basis. This may at times require one of those smaller calibers you seek to avoid.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Everyone will say Glock 19, but I personally don't think it's a good first pistol to start carrying. Appendix works, but not for new shooters and a 19 can be a challenge strong side.
    Can you please expound on this? It's the opposite of my experience.

Find a range that rents guns, or a friend that has several pistols and go shoot first. Then you might have a better idea of the features your after.

Site Supporter
    Having a G19 - it might be a touch big for concealment for smaller folks? On the other hand, my daughter who is not a big woman, shoots one just fine. She liked it.

I think the OP's first step is not equipment but some decent handgun training. When I started, the instructor had SW 3rd Gen guns as starters for the new folks. That was awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    G19 is a challenge strong side?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Can you please expound on this? It's the opposite of my experience.
    Especially those new to carry will be over critical about printing.

Especially those new to carry will not change their wardrobe to conceal a gun.

Especially those new to carry will not have a premium belt/holster combo.

These lead to frustration and ultimately leaving the gun at home.

Glock 26 and a good set of sights. Trijicon HD's are my go to.
    Here are my reasons.
    1. Easy to conceal but shoots almost as easy as a full size gun.
    2. Holsters and support gear is easy to come by.
    3. You can add a plus 2 base plate and get a full grip or use a glock 19 mag with xgrip adapter. (If you are going to do this all the time get a 19 instead)
    4. Mags are interchangeable all the way up to 33 rounders.
    5. Easy to maintain
    You can't really go wrong with a 19 or a 26 if you are comfortable with a 19 great but be honest with yourself. Will you really carry the larger gun? You can easily up size the 26 when you want but it is harder to down size a 19. The only things the 26 gives up are sight radius and speed in the reloads IMO.

Vending Machine Operator
    Based on your feedback I think that the G26, as others have suggested, would be a great fit and a solid choice for first gun. It's pretty easy to handle, high quality, solid capacity, and you can add spacers/larger mags to allow it to do nightstand duty pretty well.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I'll agree with much of the advice above on getting the Glock G26 9mm. Regardless of what you decide to get, I strongly suggest you either get something in 9mm or .38spl(if you choose to go revolver).

User Tag List