Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need pistol recommendation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    You already have some good advice re: gun selection. Your statement that you will carry it daily but do not need to conceal it caught my attention. Unless your job is one wherein you are in uniform and expected to be armed, there are some very good reasons to avoid open carry.

Even if it is legal in your state, some localities will try to get you for disorderly conduct.

Depending on where you live and whether 'no guns" signs have the force of law, carding well concealed may allow you to disregard them.

In addition to the social stigma, open carriers have succeeded in making a lot of enemies to the cause of second amendment rights.

You should consider your lifestyle, climate, more of dress, and what you can realistically conceal on a daily basis. This may at times require one of those smaller calibers you seek to avoid.
    In addition to the issues above, Open Carry of handguns gives up the advantage of surprise and takes away the option whether or not to get involved in some situations.

Open carry also makes you a target for robbery - guns are valuable among the criminal element and despite the chest thumping, robbery of open carriers is a thing.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-10-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Some good, relevant information in Chris' latest video.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    ... Your statement that you will carry it daily but do not need to conceal it caught my attention. Unless your job is one wherein you are in uniform and expected to be armed, there are some very good reasons to avoid open carry...
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM
    ... Open Carry of handguns gives up the advantage of surprise and takes away the option whether or not to get involved in some situations... Open carry also makes you a target for robbery - guns are valuable among the criminal element and despite the chest thumping, robbery of open carriers is a thing.
    I couldn't agree more, also having a concealed carry permit allows you more freedom and latitude to have a loaded weapon with you in your vehicle. many states are quite restrictive on carrying weapons and ammo together in your car / truck. Getting a weapon to be used outside the home for self defense carries a lot of responsibility and potential liabilities so you should get very familiar with all the laws in your state and municipality. Even if you foolishly plan to open carry you should get a concealed carry permit and some training on your specific weapon choice and all the laws that pertain to it.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Some good, relevant information in Chris' latest video.

Great video. I'm often too lazy to explain this information to new shooters, so now I have a handy video to get the basics across.

User Tag List