Thread: Knights Machine Tool

Knights Machine Tool

A couple of you know that I’m a bit of a Knights whore. Well, here is my version of what an “enhanced” MK18 should look like:

Name:  LMT MRP CQB #4.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  48.4 KB

This is what you get when you mix and KAC SR-15 IWC lower with a 10.5” LMT MRP upper. First the lower. This is my favorite factory AR lower out there. It is fully ambi (selector, mag release, bolt release) with an excellent, and I mean excellent, factory trigger. Although I’m not a huge fan of the SOPMOD stock, it suits my needs just fine. I did replace the grip with one of the BCM Gunfighter Grips. I’m running a H2 buffer with and without a suppressor with great reliability.

The upper is a standard LMT MRP upper. The barrel is the proprietary and capable of quick change at the end user level. However, this is not a feature that I will use that often. The bolt carrier group is a the LMT full auto carrier. The charging handle is a BCM Gunfighter variety which is common on all of my ARs.

As for the optic, I’m running a Aimpoint mico with a TNVC PVS-14 quick release mount behind it. Forward of the optic is a DBAL-A3 with green visible laser. I like the mount for this illumination device and I find the IR illumination just a bit better than the ATPIAL-C. For visible illumination, I’m using a Surefire Scout mounted with on a Thorntail mount. My hand position is such that I can activate the light without the need for a pressure switch. Now for the fun part:

Name:  LMT MRP CQB #1.jpg
Views: 7207
Size:  41.4 KB

The suppressor is the SF SOCOM 556 RC-2 over a SF Warcomp muzzle device. So far, I’ve had very good luck with the Warcomp. Some people have noted a degradation in accuracy with this device, but I have not seen that so far. It doesn't do much for recoil, but it definitely limits muzzle rise when shooting fast.The RC-2 is like any other can on a very short 5.56 rifle - loud. I doubt that its hearing safe as the supersonic crack leaves my ears ringing after just a few rounds. The is very little gas to the face, and zero shift is about 1/2” toward 4 o’clock at 50 years with the suppressor.

Function has been flawless over the first 300 rounds (about half suppressed). All PMAGS, Lancers, and quality USGI will drop free. I have no idea what the gas port size is, but it does not seem over gassed when using M193, M855, RA556B, or Hornady TAP SBR. Accuracy is identical to what you will get from any other KAC, BMC, or LMT rifle. One quick word on the TAP SBR - that stuff is noticeably softer to shoot. I’ve not chrono’ed any yet, but I’d be surprised if its reaching adversited velocities.

Cost is the downside. The lower alone is usually $6-700. The upper and barrel is another $1500 or so. Then, you add optics, BCG, illumination, etc, etc. and you get the picture. It is not a “cost effective” option. But hey, the country is going to hell and we will all be in re-education camps in a year. So, what do I have to lose?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-09-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Sorry for the typo - it's an IWS lower.

Nice concept. Looking at the new LMT MARS-L designs (a variant of which was recently adopted by NZ), they might have been paying attention to you. I have a LMT SBR lower that I keep thinking about pairing with a MRP upper (there is currently a BCM 11.5" on there)...because reasons.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    What did the TNVC run?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    But hey, the country is going to hell and we will all be in re-education camps in a year. So, what do I have to lose?
    Hey look, that's sig line material right there.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    What did the TNVC run?
    About $200 plus the cost of an Aimpoint quick twist base ($125).

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-mk2-...-weapon-mount/

Again not cheap but the only quick detach option for the PVS-14 that allows you to simultaneously have the J-arm mounted for a helmet. In other words, I can go from helmet to gun and back to helmet in just a few seconds.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-10-2016 at 01:45 PM.

First, great set-up Sensei. I like KAC stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Nice concept. Looking at the new LMT MARS-L designs (a variant of which was recently adopted by NZ), they might have been paying attention to you. I have a LMT SBR lower that I keep thinking about pairing with a MRP upper (there is currently a BCM 11.5" on there)...because reasons.
    There are a lot of similarities between the KAC SR25 and the LMT MWS308, even beyond the lowers. It was a matter of time before some of those similarities trickled over to the 5.56 guns. It's my understanding that the two companies play together.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's my understanding that the two companies play together.
    No question - the SOPMOD stock is one example (reportedly manufactured by KAC for LMT), but other LMT parts have turned up on KAC rifles (for one example, the LMT charging handle now appears on KAC SR15E3s).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List